Option Five DE Razor

mantic59

Forum GOD!
I was disappointed with my first shave with the O5. :( It's a beautiful-looking razor and as others have said its efficient without being overly aggressive. However the handle got way too slippery on me: nicked my upper lip on the 2nd pass and I pretty much aborted my 3rd pass because I couldn't maintain a good grip for the direction I was shaving in. The handle needs to have some texturing on it.
 

Sausage

Forum GOD!
I was disappointed with my first shave with the O5. :( It's a beautiful-looking razor and as others have said its efficient without being overly aggressive. However the handle got way too slippery on me: nicked my upper lip on the 2nd pass and I pretty much aborted my 3rd pass because I couldn't maintain a good grip for the direction I was shaving in. The handle needs to have some texturing on it.
Okay seems we have some opinions about the handle being slippery and also opinions being not slippery. This is interesting. Have to experience it by myself. (maybe you could use alum block in your fingers next time?)
 

Darkbulb

Member #10
Second shave w/ the O5 this morning.
A very effortless two-pass shave that gave me a very clean, close shave. I'm continuing to be impressed by how it handles my 'trouble spots' (under chin and below the nose) as it seems to just 'take care of them' w/out me having to do any extra clean-up passes there.

Having used the razor twice now I'm tempted to 'upgrade' it from "Mild" to "Mid-Aggressive" as the blade feel combined with me feeling that I do have to pay some attention to what I'm doing (as opposed to when shaving w/ a very mild razor) might well justify that change in rating.

So far very pleased and rather impressed.


 

slantman

Forum GOD!
Second shave w/ the O5 this morning.
A very effortless two-pass shave that gave me a very clean, close shave. I'm continuing to be impressed by how it handles my 'trouble spots' (under chin and below the nose) as it seems to just 'take care of them' w/out me having to do any extra clean-up passes there.

Having used the razor twice now I'm tempted to 'upgrade' it from "Mild" to "Mid-Aggressive" as the blade feel combined with me feeling that I do have to pay some attention to what I'm doing (as opposed to when shaving w/ a very mild razor) might well justify that change in rating.

So far very pleased and rather impressed.


I would have to totally agree with you. This razor can shave. What really impresses me is how the blade aligns perfectly. Now they are going to sell them for $124... We definitely bought them as a lost leader. The manufacturer made zero profit..
 

Darkbulb

Member #10
I would have to totally agree with you. This razor can shave. What really impresses me is how the blade aligns perfectly. Now they are going to sell them for $124... We definitely bought them as a lost leader. The manufacturer made zero profit..
I still see them for $64 on their home page - or do you mean that in light of all these positive reviews they might price them around there?

+1 on the blade alignment. Very solid design and I'm liking the 'snapping on the top-cap and clicking it off' more than I thought I would.
 

Sausage

Forum GOD!
I don't think the price will double but hey you never know. But I probably would not have pulled the trigger on this razor at this stage with a price of 120 $...unless this razor was something really, REALLY special :). It is special but is it really, REALLY special, I have to wait and see when i get the shipment :).
 

Darkbulb

Member #10
I don't think the price will double but hey you never know. But I probably would not have pulled the trigger on this razor at this stage with a price of 120 $...unless this razor was something really, REALLY special :). It is special but is it really, REALLY special, I have to wait and see when i get the shipment :).
Do post your thoughts on it when it arrives.
 

Sausage

Forum GOD!
I will.
It probably wont arrive before Christmas as the shipping estimation was 10-15 days. But no worries...I have Rockwell 6s coming next week for Christmas..that will help the waiting :hyper:
 

Sausage

Forum GOD!
Having used the razor twice now I'm tempted to 'upgrade' it from "Mild" to "Mid-Aggressive" as the blade feel combined with me feeling that I do have to pay some attention to what I'm doing (as opposed to when shaving w/ a very mild razor) might well justify that change in rating.
Mid Aggressive razor sounds good to me. I have had Muhle R41 and that was too much for me to enjoy. With R41 shaving ATG was not enjoyable. I like more milder razors and I get smooth result by shaving ATG.
 

Sausage

Forum GOD!
I wonder if the delay has to do with them switching over to selling exclusively at Ministryofshave in Australia as Darkbulb posted above? Out of curiosity I looked on the optionfive.ch website and if I try to put a razor in a cart, it will not let me, so maybe they are transitioning over to the other distributor? I hope our orders don't get lost in the shuffle!! Keep me posted on any info you hear, Sausage. Thanks!!
Hi, I got today (30 min ago...) a shipment confirmation that the razor is on it's way, yes!! :)
 

slantman

Forum GOD!
I still see them for $64 on their home page - or do you mean that in light of all these positive reviews they might price them around there?

+1 on the blade alignment. Very solid design and I'm liking the 'snapping on the top-cap and clicking it off' more than I thought I would.
Will be sold out of Australia for $124?
 

Darkbulb

Member #10
Will be sold out of Australia for $124?
Ah. That was AUD so about USD 90 or so. That and the retailer's mark-up on top of that.
If I were to guess l'd speculate that buying direct from them might go up a bit but probably not beyond $80. That's obviously a guess and maybe the most important thing is that we got a great razor for a great price :wink:
 
Top