Option Five DE Razor

Darkbulb

Member #10
To add to 'the love fest' I'm also rather enjoying the razor - I like both the design and its performance.
I have found it to be slippery once or twice though so maybe future models can be given a bit of knurling on the handle.
Still - a very enjoyable razor
 

Sausage

Forum GOD!
This morning I started shaving with O5 with Rapira Platinum Lux 2nd use. This was no good. Blade felt tuggy and pulled the hair which felt very uncomfortable. So I stopped and changed it to fresh Voskhod blade. What a difference! This combination cutted the hair smoothly like knife through butter.

Maybe Rapira Platinum Lux was already a dull blade after first use but I am leaning towards the idea that some blades work in some razors better than others.
 

Uncle Bertie

Forum GOD!
This morning I started shaving with O5 with Rapira Platinum Lux 2nd use. This was no good. Blade felt tuggy and pulled the hair which felt very uncomfortable. So I stopped and changed it to fresh Voskhod blade. What a difference! This combination cutted the hair smoothly like knife through butter.

Maybe Rapira Platinum Lux was already a dull blade after first use but I am leaning towards the idea that some blades work in some razors better than others.
I've also had problems with RP Lux blades going off really quickly. I don't tend to use them now.
 

Sausage

Forum GOD!
@Darkbulb
Mr Darkbulb, I remember you have Merkur Futur razor too..I am interested in the Futur..just little suspicious about the aggressiveness. How you see Shaving with Futur at setting 1 or 2 compared to Option Five?
Have a great Saturday :) !
 

Darkbulb

Member #10
@Darkbulb
Mr Darkbulb, I remember you have Merkur Futur razor too..I am interested in the Futur..just little suspicious about the aggressiveness. How you see Shaving with Futur at setting 1 or 2 compared to Option Five?
Have a great Saturday :) !
Mr Sausage :wink:
The Futur and O5 are a bit hard to compare for me as I feel that they shave rather differently.
I have an easier time finding the right angle with the O5 than with the Futur and the O5 actually feels a bit smoother in use. It's been quite a while since I used the Futur so I'll refrain from saying which aggression setting on the Futur matches that of the O5 as I simply can't remember and don't want to guess.

To me - the O5 shaves better than the Futur.
 

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
@Sausage
If you want to try the "Futur" there are these blatant rip offs from china:
https://goo.gl/tfcdJ9
Reputedly, they shave very well...
From memory, the Futur, I didn't find particularly aggressive at the lower end of the scale.. When wound open, I still can't remember it being aggressive... Not r41 like anyway... I do recall it being cumbersome to use though and struggled on the top lip as the head is huge!
I did not have any trouble loading blades...
 
Top