Option Five DE Razor

forestfield

Forum GOD!
First impressions are good. One shave with a persona red <third use) and Wickham Frankincense. BBS, albeit with a couple of small weepers, but far better than my previous 2 shaves with a Merkur Futur set to mild (1). I think the Merkur might go to the back of the cupboard for a few months.
 

Sausage

Forum GOD!
First impressions are good. One shave with a persona red <third use) and Wickham Frankincense. BBS, albeit with a couple of small weepers, but far better than my previous 2 shaves with a Merkur Futur set to mild (1). I think the Merkur might go to the back of the cupboard for a few months.
Sounds good! I just come home from Christmas trip and there was post arrival notice waiting. So hopefully next week is my first shave with this razor :).
 

lancelot

Forum GOD!
Option 5 came in yesterday's mail. Great for a New Year's start this morning.
TOBS Jermyn, collection, cream, GSB, and TOBS herbal gel pre-shave. DFS with one pass and a little buffing. Reminds me of a Futur on 2.3/4 or 3. Smoother, I did not have to be as cautious. It's a keeper for me.

Happy New Year to all, Ron I
 

kenloupa

Active Member
I received an email saying my order for the O5 had been shipped on 12-17-16, but have not received the razor yet. They don't provide tracking. How long did it take others in USA to receive it after notice of shipping? (I am located in Florida, USA). Thanks.
 

Darkbulb

Member #10
I received an email saying my order for the O5 had been shipped on 12-17-16, but have not received the razor yet. They don't provide tracking. How long did it take others in USA to receive it after notice of shipping? (I am located in Florida, USA). Thanks.
I think it took roughly three weeks for it to make it to California. With possible holiday delays (if you ordered in Dec 17) you might well be looking at around that same time - or more :(
Should be there in a week - two tops - though :)
 

Sausage

Forum GOD!
I finally got my Option 5 in my hands for first shave. Here are my thoughts before and after the first shave.
The razor came with the golden blade and surprise pen and a small notebook. Nice surprise! The razor looks very nice (just like in the pictures). I think it is nicely finished. It felt heavy but I got used to it quickly. It was somehow smaller than I expected but heavier. It is clearly bigger razor of course than for example Muhle R89.

The main thing: the shave. I loaded it with fresh Polsilver Super Iridium. It is easy to load and top cap snaps nicely in place. I checked the blade alignment and it was ok. I did 3 pass shave (like I always do): WTG, XTG and ATG. The result was very close shave (I would say BBS). Actually I am happy how close shave I got with it. I would not call this razor mild. The feeling when you shaved with it was most of the time smooth. It is maybe the size of it that you feel like you are not shaving at all sometimes so I think you need to be careful with it because it felt a little bit like shaving with a Gillette Fusion cartridge razor..easy and smooth and a bit numb but Option 5 will bite you if you don't pay attention. I was surprised especially how good it shaved WTG (very efficient).

I am not used to this kind of heavy and "big" razor so I need more shaves to get used to it better. I have Muhle R89 and Rockwell 6s which I like both. Option 5 is clearly different from those razors. The handle in Option 5 is nicely shaped and feels good in hands but the crip could be better. I think it can be slippery with wet hands. The angle was easy to find and no problems shaving under the nose. I had some difficulties shaving the neck area due to the bigger head of this razor. I got some razor burn in neck area but no real cuts.

Compared to Muhle R89 this razor is more aggressive and I think you need to pay more attention when shaving with it. Option 5 felt very efficient and I could shave ATG which I could not do with Muhle R41 (which I have sold). I definitely need to try different blades with it. The biggest observation from the today's shave is that this razor can give me a very close shave.
 

Sausage

Forum GOD!
I tried Option 5 also today. After yesterday's shave I actually felt that there was not so much growth as usually is after 24 hrs which tells that the shave from yesterday was very close. But I wanted to try it also today. I did 3 pass shave which maybe was not a good idea. 2 passes would have been enough I think. My neck was little sensitive from yesterday. I loaded the razor with Derby blade because usually I get good shaves with derby in Muhle R89.

Result was like yesterday a very close shave. But I think Derby did not work so well as Polsilver yesterday. Derby was little tuggy. My neck is little soar and there is some razor burn also today. I think I don't shave tomorrow.

I think there is actually quite a lot of blade feel with this razor so I am thinking this razor is actually more aggressive than my first impressions from yesterday were. It definitely is not mild in my opinion. More like mid aggresive to aggressive. Maybe it was the blade.. I think I will try Voskhod next time.
 

Sausage

Forum GOD!
Me again. I just had my third shave with Option 5 and it was the best shave so far and quite enjoyable. This time I used Voskhod blade and it was a great combination. I also concentrated to use no pressure with shaving. Result: a real BBS and hardly any razor burn. I also discovered that it was good to use long and light moves instead of many 2-3 cm moves with the razor (if you know what I mean...?). So I tried to shave more like with a Gillette cartridge razor. Option 5 is in my opinion very very efficient razor. I will keep this one :).
 
Top