The One Soap One Month Challenge!

D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
well - we all seem to be sensitive to different things so I wouldn't avoid them one just my recommendation but you could try a sample from Shavedash before investing in a full tub?
Good idea. The full puck is 11 euros though. Not cheap.
 

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
Very well if you insist Paa "CaD":dance:. Could this be my favourite fragrance thus far? Hang on, I'll just check :okay::okay:the the matching aftershave........:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::okay::okay:
 

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
Tonight I finished the Eufros Tobacco I’ve been working on. It’s been great but I’m glad to move on.

I’ve decided to spend the rest of February with a jar of ‘soap trifle’ - a small tub of soap samples dumped on top of a seven-year-old Martin de Candre decant that I haven’t seen for a while. The aim is to smash through the frankensoap and break through to the MdC underneath.

March will see me return to the ‘3017’ approach (for want of a better term) - either with the above MdC or else the rest of a 2016-vintage Wickham 1912.
 

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
Finished Eufros Ylang Ylang. Last third of soap felt gritty like it was full of partially cooked rice...not sure what was going on...otherwise good performance but will not be purchasing Eufros again; for me Wholly Kaw and B&M Reserve pip's Manuel's offerings...
 
Last edited:

p.b

Forum GOD!
On my 5th vintage soap of Vintage Feb. It's a Dubarry. Slick but I had irritation issues again.
 

Nick_S

Forum GOD!
Wow I wanted to get one of these, the Uula, but I didn't.

What about performance Nick? Better than most artisans?
In terms of slickness and cushion, it wasn't bad at all. The scent I loved (I realise it is a very polarising scent), but the post shave feel wasn't the best. Left my skin feeling half a size too small for my face! That wasn't a huge deal breaker as I can slap on some balm.

If I may interject: the performance is stellar, but every one of the four scents I tried irritated my sensitive skin. I don’t mean to answer for Nick but if you have sensitive skin beware.
Not a problem buddy, it's best to get a wide range of thoughts to form a balanced view :)
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
If I used Tabac every day for a month would it be Kill or Cure?

I seriously tempted to see if I'll survive. Last time I tried it I think I retched :sick:
Hehehe I have my Tabac stick in the bathroom counter, and everytime I come close to it I cringe...

I have it more than a year and the scent is still strong. But why??
 
  • Like
Reactions: p.b

p.b

Forum GOD!
This month I will be using vintage soaps:
View attachment 42304
From top left:
Floris (might be tallow - don't really know)
Dubarry
AOS Sandalwood (Tallow)
Imperial Leather
Old Spice
Cussons (don't they make Imperial Leather? So won't it be the same?)
Yardley Black Label Yardley Brown box?

I'm not a vintage soap affectionardo but i seem to have ended up with several. I'll use each for three days on the trot (as I usually do) and see if they're worth keeping. For the most part they all smell the same to me - soapy like Imperial Leather bar soap does.

As I have two I'll use Yardley first. To be cont'...
DONE.
  • Floris - excellent if a tiny little bit drying
  • Dubarry - very slick but irritated my skin so much
  • AOS - my favourite and the only one I didn't find a little drying
  • Imperial Leather - slight irritation but slick enough if drying
  • Old Spice - slick, irritated my skin a lot and a bit drying
  • Yardley - slick, irritated my skin and a bit drying
  • Cussons - as above
So there's clearly a theme slick but a touch drying, and I'm surprised there's enough perfume left in these soaps, and some of them must be 40+ years old, to still irritate my, admittedly sensitive, skin. I also wonder if the drying I experienced was due to the soap itself or the effects of the sensitivity, I suspect I've simply become used to the after-care properties of the very best modern soap and these are found wanting. However, those that irritated will have to go as I will not accommodate any soap that I couldn't use everyday for a month as I have with Eufros or Soapy Science etc, so although this hasn't been one soap for the whole month it has been one type for as long as I could do it and only AOS passed the test.
 

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
Thought there was more than there was. Still it was used for all of February, technically.
Nice! I really enjoyed my time solely using Eufros. What’s the plan now?

I’m near enough through my jar of ‘frankensoap’ samples - I will be by the end of February anyway. It’s mostly been various flavours of Wickham Super Smooth v2 adulterated with a bit of-this-and-that. I’ve decided to spend March working through what’s left of my ‘original’ Martin de Candre (about 35-40g).
 
Top