Zedotelhado
Forum GOD!
interesting
Just got one of those order confirmation emails as wellSorry mixed up threads with the Parker. But did get a confirmation several minutes ago and my Optionfive razor is in transit. No tracking but for free shipping didn't expect any. The link says 5-7 days for delivery .
All I said is that I'd send him a PM. Well, I did.Upside-down-Andreas is organizing a pass-around over on TSR![]()

Sorry, I should have phrased it "MIGHT be organizing..."All I said is that I'd send him a PM. Well, I did.
And who said it wouldn't be another dual forum pass around?![]()

Well, it looks promisingSorry, I should have phrased it "MIGHT be organizing..."
Dual-forum sounds like fun. These are reviews I'd like to read.


Thank you for the posting you initial impressions. I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the shave. I hope my will be delivered here in the US next week.My Option 5 has just been delivered here in the UK.
Initial impression: Build quality and finish is superb. It's quite weighty with a good balance. I'll be having my first shave with the Option 5 later this evening.
For you guys awaiting delivery. I think you'll be very pleased.![]()
No probs. It's a very nice razor and I really like the heavy weight and satin finish. I'll report back on my first shave later this evening.Thank you for the posting you initial impressions. I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the shave. I hope my will be delivered here in the US next week.
Exciting. I'm reading both yours and Ferrum's review over on TSR with great interest.My Option 5 has just been delivered here in the UK.
Initial impressions: Build quality and finish is superb. It's quite weighty with a good balance. I'll be having my first shave with the Option 5 later this evening.
For you guys awaiting delivery. I think you'll be very pleased.![]()

Really great write-up. With the potential for water in the razor I guess it's a good thing it was made out of the corrosion-resisting nickel alloy.First outing for the Option 5 DE razor which arrived today from Switzerland
http://www.optionfive.ch
Material: Nickel alloy.
Weight: 120gr/4.2 oz
Manufacturing: Cast
Cost: $64.90 / £52 - with free shipping for the initial product launch and Xmas holiday season.
Build and finish is superb. I like the satin finish but suspect a high amount of TLC is required to prevent surface damage. We'll see how the finish stands the test of time. For a weighty razor it has good balance.
It arrived foamed boxed and pre loaded with a sharp but dummy unusable gold blade. Why?
The first thing which struck me about this razor was the weight. Compared to my other razors it's heavy at 120g, The second thing was the amount of audible feedback whist shaving. It's noisy!
The shave:
Out with the dummy blade and in with a new Shark Chrome. 24 hours of medium stubble had to be removed so off I went. It became immediately apparent this was a mildish razor. I'd say one notch up from mild but not quite medium. First pass was very smooth and comfortable but for my personal preference it lacked that hint of blade feel and oh was it noisy!
Out came the Shark and in went a Feather for the second and clean up pass. The sharp Feather provided a very close shave and whisked away the remaining stubble with ease. A total of two passes and one clean up pass and the job was done. The shave was smooth, nick and weeper free.
IMO, It isn't the easiest razor to manoeuvre. It has good balance but it's a tad bulky and very heavy for my personal liking. I also didn't like the satin handle integrated into the base plate. It lacked any knurling and careful firm grip was required to avoid it slipping from the hand.
Now onto my other niggle. Post shave, it was obvious that water had entered the handle/integtated base plate via the radio release buttons and the slot on top of the base plate.(see pic below)
Removing the top cap, blade and giving the razor a thorough shake releases the water. Not entirely happy about that.
I wonder if the large slot in the base is specifically for the purpose of releasing water?
View attachment 5448
So to conclude. This razor will require more practice but it's not without it's design issues. Blade choice will be an important factor and although it did provide a smooth shave I have other razors which perform better and are easier to handle.
It will no doubt fit into my DE rotation but I'd have liked to have seen more handle grip and faffing about to remove water from the base is an issue for me and shouldn't be necessary on a modern design razor.
At the time of writing I'm also unable to determine the blade gap and despite asking Option 5 on three occasions that information still hasn't been provided.
We all know that razor choice is a highly subjective choice and If you like large heavy type razors the Option 5 will no doubt please.
Good looks is one thing but functionality and ease of use is all important when judging a razor. First use was OK but TBH I wasn't blown away so for me, the jury is still out on this one.
I don't wish to disappoint those awaiting delivery but I have to judge as I find. I'm sure there'll be buyers who for various reasons will like the razor more than I do.

No probs DB. Seeing your range of razors I think you'll like it. I do hope so and postage across the pond shouldn't be long now.Really great write-up. With the potential for water in the razor I guess it's a good thing it was made out of the corrosion-resisting nickel alloy.
Mild and heavy is not an issue for me so that should be ok but it will come down to how comfortable the handle/design feels for me and of course how efficient it is. Sounds like a Feather might be a good one to try it out with when mine arrives.
Thanks again and if you have any follow-up shaves do post your thoughts![]()

Thank you for taking the time to post your detailed thoughts. You've set the bar pretty high for those of us still waiting.First outing for the Option 5 DE razor which arrived today from Switzerland
http://www.optionfive.ch
Material: Nickel alloy.
Weight: 120gr/4.2 oz
Manufacturing: Cast
Cost: $64.90 / £52 - with free shipping for the initial product launch and Xmas holiday season.
View attachment 5454
Build and finish is superb. I like the satin finish but suspect a high amount of TLC is required to prevent surface damage. We'll see how the finish stands the test of time. For a weighty razor it has good balance.
It arrived foamed boxed and pre loaded with a sharp but dummy gold blade.
The first thing which struck me about this razor was the weight. Compared to my other razors it's heavy at 120g, The second thing was the amount of audible feedback whist shaving. Man it's noisy!
The shave:
Out with the dummy blade and in with a new Shark Chrome. 24 hours of medium dense stubble had to be removed so off I went. It became immediately apparent this was a mildish razor. I'd say one notch up from mild but not quite medium. First pass was very smooth and comfortable but for my personal preference it lacked that hint of blade feel and oh was it noisy!
Out came the Shark and in went a Feather for the second and clean up pass. The sharp Feather provided a very close shave and whisked away the remaining stubble with ease. A total of two passes and one clean up pass and the job was done. The shave was smooth, nick and weeper free.
IMO, It isn't the easiest razor to manoeuvre. It has good balance but it's a tad bulky and very heavy for my personal liking. I also didn't like the satin handle integrated into the base plate. It lacked any knurling and a careful firm grip was required to avoid it slipping from the hand.
Now onto my other niggle. Post shave, it was obvious that water had entered the handle/integrated base plate via the radio release buttons and the slot on top of the base plate.(see pic below)
Removing the top cap, blade and giving the razor a thorough shake releases the water. Not entirely happy about that.
Water enters the base via the radio buttons and the large slot in the base plate.
View attachment 5448
So to conclude. This razor will require more practice but it's not without it's design issues. Blade choice will be an important factor and although it did provide a smooth shave I have other razors which perform better and are easier to handle.
It will no doubt fit into my DE rotation but I'd liked to have seen more handle grip and faffing about to remove water from the base is an issue for me and shouldn't be necessary on a modern design razor.
At the time of writing I'm also unable to determine the blade gap and despite asking Option 5 on three occasions that information still hasn't been provided.
We all know that razor choice is highly subjective and If you like large heavy type razors the Option 5 will no doubt please.
Good looks is one thing but functionality and ease of use is all important when judging a razor. First use was OK but TBH I wasn't blown away so for me, the jury is still out on this one.
I don't wish to disappoint those awaiting delivery but I have to judge as I find. I'm sure there'll be buyers who for various reasons will like the razor more than I do. I sincerely hope so.![]()
+1 Couldn't have said it better.Really great write-up. With the potential for water in the razor I guess it's a good thing it was made out of the corrosion-resisting nickel alloy.
Mild and heavy is not an issue for me so that should be ok but it will come down to how comfortable the handle/design feels for me and of course how efficient it is. Sounds like a Feather might be a good one to try it out with when mine arrives.
Thanks again and if you have any follow-up shaves do post your thoughts![]()
You're most welcome. I hope yours arrives soon and looking forward to your personal opinion.Thank you for taking the time to post your detailed thoughts. You've set the bar pretty high for those of us still waiting.
+1 Couldn't have said it better.