MWF Can you lather it?

Can you lather it


  • Total voters
    62

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I’ve been able to lather it up from the first time I used it. I had heard it requires a little more loading than other soaps which I agree with but if you take the time you can work up a nice slick lather. I also agree that the scent is not entirely pleasant.

Haslinger Schafmilch is a similar soap but easier to build a lather and smells nicer. Just to see what would happen I grated a puck of the Haslinger and half a puck of MWF for a 50/50 ratio and mixed them and pressed them into an empty TOBS container. The results were really excellent. Lathers really easily and quickly, is nice and slick with lots of cushion, great post shave feel and it smells better than either one alone for some reason. Some others played with the ratios depending upon hardness of water and reported similar results, concluding that the combination provides superior performance better than either one alone. It now has an unofficial name. The Fat ‘As. And an unofficial label.

A0540D3A-3985-4120-9C79-59BD59B2BC36.jpeg
 

Grarea

Forum Plod
No chance of a video presently I'm afraid, might be in a position to do things like that when I move house later in the year though! Can't say I've ever put much thought into lathering the fat, just trial and error initially until I found what worked best for me...

  • Bloom the puck for as long as you can
  • Load it like you hate it for 30-45 seconds with a damp brush (holding approximately 50% of it water capacity)
  • Move to building lather on face, dipping the brush tips in water as I go until the lather is the right consistency has a nice sheen

I would say if your lather is thin, bubbly or dissipating then you either have too much water or not enough soap in the mix.
Yup, that is what I do.
It is what i do with all soaps.
It sounds like I shake my brush out a bit more though.
 

Grarea

Forum Plod
I’ve been able to lather it up from the first time I used it. I had heard it requires a little more loading than other soaps which I agree with but if you take the time you can work up a nice slick lather. I also agree that the scent is not entirely pleasant.

Haslinger Schafmilch is a similar soap but easier to build a lather and smells nicer. Just to see what would happen I grated a puck of the Haslinger and half a puck of MWF for a 50/50 ratio and mixed them and pressed them into an empty TOBS container. The results were really excellent. Lathers really easily and quickly, is nice and slick with lots of cushion, great post shave feel and it smells better than either one alone for some reason. Some others played with the ratios depending upon hardness of water and reported similar results, concluding that the combination provides superior performance better than either one alone. It now has an unofficial name. The Fat ‘As. And an unofficial label.

View attachment 34328
I shall definitely be trying this one. Sounds great.
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
Yup, that is what I do.
It is what i do with all soaps.
It sounds like I shake my brush out a bit more though.
This is what I do with all the hard pucks. All pucks lathered easily and quick. I don't understand what is happening with the Fat. It doesnt like my bathroom maybe?
 

Lann

Forum GOD!
Yes. I have never had a problem getting a good lather from MWF just don't use it that often anymore
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
Have you soaked the puck overnight? It makes a massive difference to it’s lather making. I cover mine with an inch of water and leave it, once fully hydrated it’ll perform like it should.
 

MPH

Forum GOD!
This is what I do with all the hard pucks. All pucks lathered easily and quick. I don't understand what is happening with the Fat. It doesnt like my bathroom maybe?
You're not alone! Many many people don't get on with it. Given the widely varying success I can only assume there have been some duff batches occasionally.... No idea how that could happen though.
 

Grarea

Forum Plod
You're not alone! Many many people don't get on with it. Given the widely varying success I can only assume there have been some duff batches occasionally.... No idea how that could happen though.
That was what I was about to say.
Has anyone done any tests like that?
A poorly lathering puck sent to an MWF lathering maestro?
(too lazy to read the MWF/water thread)
 
MWF is great, don’t let it dry out....but if you do then put a bit of water on it whilst your having a bath/shower.

Use the bloom water too, don’t waste it (spoken like a true Yorkshireman)

That Fat is an awesome soap
 

Dr Watson

James
That was what I was about to say.
Has anyone done any tests like that?
A poorly lathering puck sent to an MWF lathering maestro?
(too lazy to read the MWF/water thread)
I've used 4 different pucks/cakes over 2 years, all performed identically... The only negative experience I had with the fat was the very first time I used it (in sample form.) I couldn't load enough on the brush and ended up with the typical lather all the naysayers complain about, thin and bubbly.
 

Boru62

Shaving Boar
You're not alone! Many many people don't get on with it. Given the widely varying success I can only assume there have been some duff batches occasionally.... No idea how that could happen though.
I think a lot of noise is made about it but if you look at this poll almost 4 in 5 have success with it.
I live in a hard water area and very nearly didn't buy it because of the general perception.
It's excellent soap and my heart goes out to those who can't get it to work but I don't think it's down to dodgy batches or hard water.
 

Grarea

Forum Plod
I've used 4 different pucks/cakes over 2 years, all performed identically... The only negative experience I had with the fat was the very first time I used it (in sample form.) I couldn't load enough on the brush and ended up with the typical lather all the naysayers complain about, thin and bubbly.
Sure, but what I meant was, have someone struggling with a puck who normally has no problems with getting a decent lather from a soap.
Sending that soap to someone to see if it is that puck or the person.
 
Top