MWF Can you lather it?

Can you lather it


  • Total voters
    62

Nav

Forum GOD!
Why I can't get a decent lather from this god damn thing?

I load the brush heavily I don't know exactly how long, but more than 3 minutes. All I get is an airy, bubbly mess.

Come on, I am not an amateur! And I liked the slickness even with this crappy lather I got!
I'm my ten years experience with MWF, it's not that you're loading incorrectly.
That bubbly mess is fine, just take it to your face and work it in and it will thicken up into a very dense lather. Once it thickens up, you'll have to then add water as needed and keep working it like any other soap.
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
I'm my ten years experience with MWF, it's not that you're loading incorrectly.
That bubbly mess is fine, just take it to your face and work it in and it will thicken up into a very dense lather. Once it thickens up, you'll have to then add water as needed and keep working it like any other soap.
So do you believe that it will get dense if I work it really good on the face? Everytime I had the same bubbly mess. I'm afraid to try many times because I get disappointed and I want to shave, so I must have with me another soap to end the shave.
 

Nav

Forum GOD!
So do you believe that it will get dense if I work it really good on the face? Everytime I had the same bubbly mess. I'm afraid to try many times because I get disappointed and I want to shave, so I must have with me another soap to end the shave.
This is what works for me.
All other soaps load up like a thick paste but MWF (and LEA classic) load up frothy and airy. I now know this is just how it is and proceed to lather up like normal.

Even when I use my DIY MWF stick, the same thing happens. I start working it up and it starts off very thin and I can see my skin through it. I keep working it and it thickens up and then I have to add more water than the average soap (MWF holds a LOT of water!).
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
This is what works for me.
All other soaps load up like a thick paste but MWF (and LEA classic) load up frothy and airy. I now know this is just how it is and proceed to lather up like normal.

Even when I use my DIY MWF stick, the same thing happens. I start working it up and it starts off very thin and I can see my skin through it. I keep working it and it thickens up and then I have to add more water than the average soap (MWF holds a LOT of water!).
Wow I didn't think of that!

I will definitely try. I was expecting the initial lather to be pasty like Fine soaps for example.
 

Nav

Forum GOD!
Wow I didn't think of that!

I will definitely try. I was expecting the initial lather to be pasty like Fine soaps for example.
I have fine soaps and MWF loads up totally opposite! Fine is a very thick paste but MWF is always frothy.

Give it a go and let us know how you go. Load with a damp brush (not too dry) as you'll still need sufficient soap on the brush, even if it's frothy. And don't discard and of that froth, it's all good stuff!!
 

Dr Watson

James
I'd never lathered the fat using a boar brush before so decided to try that today... Result was good, a little too airy for my taste but entirely my fault and it was still perfectly usable.

img2.png
 

ronald

Senior Member
I've managed to get it nicely lathered up in both hard water and soft water areas. A decent bloom with hot water and a lot of loading usually does the trick for me.
 

Fidelis

Forum GOD!
Yes, I can lather MWF. The method, I use now for lathering works on all my soaps (nearly have no shaving creams left, as I prefer hard soaps). Also, I use synthetic brushes 99% of the time. I wet the brush, shake it, till it is just wet or damp, add a little water on the soap (just some drops with the fingers, a little amount to wet the surface of the soap) and start loading the brush. Then normally I add again two or three times a little amount of water, during loading the brush, then I begin face lathering. Again, I add some water during the face lathering, by just dipping the tips of the brush in the hot tub water, till I have reached the amount I want. This works for every soap I own.
 

Shaver X

Forum GOD!
Yes, a very nice lather when using brushes with backbone:
  • Vie Long Epsilon Model GC13900/3 horse hair brush
  • Omega 50014 boar travel brush
No, a poor-quality, frothy lather when using a floppy brush:
  • Dovo 918052 pure badger
I have soft water and never "bloom" soaps.

Why I can't get a decent lather from this god damn thing?
Because thou hath used naughty words and been cursed with bad lather.
 

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Yes, I can lather MWF. The method, I use now for lathering works on all my soaps (nearly have no shaving creams left, as I prefer hard soaps). Also, I use synthetic brushes 99% of the time. I wet the brush, shake it, till it is just wet or damp, add a little water on the soap (just some drops with the fingers, a little amount to wet the surface of the soap) and start loading the brush. Then normally I add again two or three times a little amount of water, during loading the brush, then I begin face lathering. Again, I add some water during the face lathering, by just dipping the tips of the brush in the hot tub water, till I have reached the amount I want. This works for every soap I own.
This is what I do. :okay:
 

FaTist

Forum GOD!
one way ive found is to put the puck in a mug (ideally with about 1/4- 1/3 inch room on the sides) then cover it with distilled water (tap water works too, but to be sure use water you know to be 'soft') and let it sit for a couple days keeping the water just to the top of the soap. it will expand to fill the mug and will be much easier to load your brush. then i have plastic cover that fits loosely on the mug keeping the soap moist for the next couple hundred shaves. perfection!

(the first few laters from a new puck can be a bit lacking, but once you dig into the puck a bit it is perfect)
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
one way ive found is to put the puck in a mug (ideally with about 1/4- 1/3 inch room on the sides) then cover it with distilled water (tap water works too, but to be sure use water you know to be 'soft') and let it sit for a couple days keeping the water just to the top of the soap. it will expand to fill the mug and will be much easier to load your brush. then i have plastic cover that fits loosely on the mug keeping the soap moist for the next couple hundred shaves. perfection!

(the first few laters from a new puck can be a bit lacking, but once you dig into the puck a bit it is perfect)
Last paragraph. The most important!
 

G_man

Forum GOD!
It was very interesting to read about frothy lather at the beginning. I completely gave up on MWF some time ago. Funny, I thought it was excellent soap, when I was a rookie!
I now understand, that being a rookie I didn't care, how the lather starts off, as I didn't know better. And at the end I got a nice lather.
Later on when I looked at the frothy lather, I didn't even continue, as I thought that soap has somehow hardened to a point of being unusable.

You can guess that I will find my old tub now and give it another shot! :thumbsup:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Nav
Top