MWF Can you lather it?

Can you lather it


  • Total voters
    62
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
Why I can't get a decent lather from this god damn thing?

I load the brush heavily I don't know exactly how long, but more than 3 minutes. All I get is an airy, bubbly mess.

Come on, I am not an amateur! And I liked the slickness even with this crappy lather I got!
 

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
Why I can't get a decent lather from this god damn thing?

I load the brush heavily I don't know exactly how long, but more than 3 minutes. All I get is an airy, bubbly mess.

Come on, I am not an amateur! And I liked the slickness even with this crappy lather I got!
An airy bubbly mess smacks of toooooo much water ? I like to load the brush then squeeze the brush into the bowl. Then reload again and go for it in the bowl. Double bubble so to speak.

This guy is off his head when posting this but the principal is the same. Double load. My missus has been after one of these for a while but I just give her the old " sorry dear, double loads are saved for shaving".

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v52vXB3LF9o
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
Why I can't get a decent lather from this god damn thing?

I load the brush heavily I don't know exactly how long, but more than 3 minutes. All I get is an airy, bubbly mess.

Come on, I am not an amateur! And I liked the slickness even with this crappy lather I got!
You are definitely doing something very wrong Sir!
 

R181

Grumpy old man
Why I can't get a decent lather from this god damn thing?

I load the brush heavily I don't know exactly how long, but more than 3 minutes. All I get is an airy, bubbly mess.

Come on, I am not an amateur! And I liked the slickness even with this crappy lather I got!
Possibly too much water in the brush to start. You could try with a dryer brush to load the soap with. You want a very thick proto lather on the brush and then add a little water as needed when you make the lather in a bowl or on the face. Yes, it can be a frustrating soap to dial in.

Bob
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
Possibly too much water in the brush to start. You could try with a dryer brush to load the soap with. You want a very thick proto lather on the brush and then add a little water as needed when you make the lather in a bowl or on the face. Yes, it can be a frustrating soap to dial in.

Bob

Probably you are right, because the brush was wet, not THAT wet, but it was. It seemed like I was not picking up any soap from the puck.So I may try get rid of almost all the water from the brush. Thanks!
 

halvor

a most elusive fish
I took cue from @MntnMan62 and made my own FatSchafs. Never struggled lathering either, but they both went largely unused in an ever increasing collection. Very strangely, the combination indeed takes the scent to new heights. It now has a fresh, woody cologne type scent. Certainly more than the sum of its parts.

And it lathers like it should; this is cushioning and slick!

A6CF89A6-82E3-49B5-AF30-7A055A47B2C7.jpeg
 

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I took cue from @MntnMan62 and made my own FatSchafs. Never struggled lathering either, but they both went largely unused in an ever increasing collection. Very strangely, the combination indeed takes the scent to new heights. It now has a fresh, woody cologne type scent. Certainly more than the sum of its parts.

And it lathers like it should; this is cushioning and slick!

View attachment 37926
I don't use my batch that often because I'm still in that discovery phase of soaps and creams. I am approaching 50 altogether. That said I used it two shaves ago and loved it. Every you say about it is true. I also have separate tubs of both Haslinger Schafmilch and MWF but doubt I'll ever use them alone again. I bought extra pucks of the tallow formula of Haslinger so I'll have enough to last me the rest of my life. Scent, lather, slickness and cushion all in one package. It's in my top five. Glad I could be of assistance.
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
I don't use my batch that often because I'm still in that discovery phase of soaps and creams. I am approaching 50 altogether. That said I used it two shaves ago and loved it. Every you say about it is true. I also have separate tubs of both Haslinger Schafmilch and MWF but doubt I'll ever use them alone again. I bought extra pucks of the tallow formula of Haslinger so I'll have enough to last me the rest of my life. Scent, lather, slickness and cushion all in one package. It's in my top five. Glad I could be of assistance.

In contrary with Maca Root cream, the Schafmilch new puck without tallow is excellent and performs the same as the old one!
 

R181

Grumpy old man
Probably you are right, because the brush was wet, not THAT wet, but it was. It seemed like I was not picking up any soap from the puck.So I may try get rid of almost all the water from the brush. Thanks!
This fellow has a lathering tutorial that I found very useful. He demonstrates the dry brush method first and the wet brush method second. I use a version of his dry brush method to get results with MWF and virtually any other soap or cream. Hope it helps.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4zESTQWDuw


Bob
 

Tzimisce

Forum GOD!
Probably you are right, because the brush was wet, not THAT wet, but it was. It seemed like I was not picking up any soap from the puck.So I may try get rid of almost all the water from the brush. Thanks!
George,
1) Dry the brush.
2) Don't soak your soap at all
3) Load for a minute

Then, keep in mind that MWF needs some more work than the other soaps but it definitely worth it!
Try face or bowl lathering, I prefer face for this soap but this is YMMV :)
 

Cristobal

Forum GOD!
George,
1) Dry the brush.
2) Don't soak your soap at all
3) Load for a minute

Then, keep in mind that MWF needs some more work than the other soaps but it definitely worth it!
Try face or bowl lathering, I prefer face for this soap but this is YMMV :)

Oddly enough, I do almost the contrary. Wet brush, loaded during 15 seconds in MWF soaked in water, then I usually end up palm lathering with a brush loaded of soapy water that turns after a few seconds into a lather, thickening after a minute. The "break-even point" (the stage after which it won't lather much more) is reached after 2-3 minutes; about a spoonful of water is added during the process.

On a side note, I noticed that my 26mm synthetic knot lathers (way) faster than my 22-24mm synthetic knots, but for an even time builds less lather than smaller knots. Not a chemist here, but I guess the smaller knots demanding more work due to their smaller size, allow more air bubbles in lathering process, hence the bigger volume, but it's a completely uneducated guess.
 
Last edited:

Tzimisce

Forum GOD!
@Cristobal , when I got this soap I had the same problems with @RandySp
My lather was foamy, with a lot of bubbles and it was falling apart, so I kept experimenting with it.
I ended up loading the soap dry and got excellent results.
I guess the water's hardness is a crucial factor for MWF.
 

DeeCee

Dan
I have the wood bowl and MWF, and no problems here. I have had the brush too wet before and noticed the 'airy' bubbles that some have mentioned. I have no trouble when the brush is drier to begin with.
On a side note..... I used Meissner cream for a headshave the other day and as I had a bit spare, I plopped this into my bowl and used MWF too...... not as good as MWF on it's own!
 
Top