LS/MS shaving brush

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Probably just unlucky, although I have found a couple of mine to shed after several months. However I also lent these brushes out to a few friends who are new to wet shaving so maybe that had an impact.
 

Eeyore

Forum GOD!
I am getting a bit concerned about the stories of shedding Masetos :(

I ordered a 24mm fine badger as a gift for a long time wetshaver, who has only used boar brushes for all his life. If those Maseto knots have a reputation for shedding, maybe I shouldn't take the risk then of giving it away.

--
Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.
 

p.b

Forum GOD!
In my experience Shavemac brush can shed. Simpson brushes can shed, and it seems Maseto can shed (although mine haven't). If you want a brush that is very, very unlikely to shed go for a Muhle Synthetic - I've never heard of one of those shedding.

Shedding is a risk with ANY badger brush and the guy who runs Maseto replaces them without argument so don't worry about it.
 

Eeyore

Forum GOD!
Thanks :) Trying to understand if Masetos shed more often than others, maybe due to a relationship with price and quality control. I had an Omega brush fall apart, so I know that boar brushes can shed (and do worse) too.

--
Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
Thanks :) Trying to understand if Masetos shed more often than others, maybe due to a relationship with price and quality control. I had an Omega brush fall apart, so I know that boar brushes can shed (and do worse) too.

--
Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.
I currently own nine Maseto brushes and none of them are shedders. Yes the odd hair comes out of the knot when running my hand over the knot but that isn't shedding that is just the odd loose or broken hair. I have owned a shedder from Simpsons and believe me you will know the difference when you get one.
 

owlman

Forum GOD!
In my experience Shavemac brush can shed. Simpson brushes can shed, and it seems Maseto can shed (although mine haven't). If you want a brush that is very, very unlikely to shed go for a Muhle Synthetic - I've never heard of one of those shedding.
I own a Shavemac D01 Silvertip that has shed about two dozen hairs in total over the first few uses, then stopped. (Bernd told me to monitor this and get back to him if it were to continue.) I also had a Muhle Black Fibre that shed more than three dozen fibres even before the first use, just from fiddling with it after unpacking, so it immediately went back to the seller. However, none of my Silvertip Fibre brushes (Muhle or Edwin Jagger) has ever shed. As to Maseto, while I'm not such an avid collector as @Wayne, I do have three Finest Badgers which have collectively lost less than ten hairs.
 

p.b

Forum GOD!
I own a Shavemac D01 Silvertip that has shed about two dozen hairs in total over the first few uses, then stopped. (Bernd told me to monitor this and get back to him if it were to continue.) I also had a Muhle Black Fibre that shed more than three dozen fibres even before the first use, just from fiddling with it after unpacking, so it immediately went back to the seller. However, none of my Silvertip Fibre brushes (Muhle or Edwin Jagger) has ever shed. As to Maseto, while I'm not such an avid collector as @Wayne, I do have three Finest Badgers which have collectively lost less than ten hairs.
Ah yes. I'd forgotten there's more than one type of Muhle synthetic. I was referring to the Silvertip ones
 

dowsing

Forum GOD!
Anybody else experience shedding with their Maseto brush?

My 30mm fan arrived earlier this week and shed 20+ hairs on the first use. And now averages 8-12 lost hairs per use. And hairs are falling out when you run your fingers over the top of the dry knot.

I've never had this much shedding (even in my densest chubby brushes). Was I unlucky?
I found the same (although not quite as much) with the fan know I had, the bulb knot seems to be much better. The seller was very good though and sent a replacement.
 

celestino

Forum GOD!
I have five Maseto 2-Band brushes/knots 30 mm + and they are not shedders. They have lost a few hairs, sporadically, throughout their uses, but the knots seem just fine.
 

Mr Mackay

Forum GOD!
How big are the glue bumps on these brushes (especially interested in 24 and 26 mm ones)? I'm thinking about ordering one (not sure what size), but I really dislike brushes with big glue bumps (bigger than 4-5 mm).
 
Top