Fake watches

BlacknTan

Forum GOD!
I'm not a watch aficionado, but I like fine things. I buy a Citizen every five years or so. that's good enough for me.
When I used to shoot a lot of clay targets, a number of our squad were well heeled individuals... they could have bought and sold me ten times over. One of them refused to pay the freight for the big name watches, even though he could have well afforded to. He got me started on Citizens. Another gent, probably even more well off, swore by his Timex..

Who am I to argue?

That said, I love the craftsmanship of the truly high end watches... Always fancied Breitling.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I'm not a watch aficionado, but I like fine things. I buy a Citizen every five years or so. that's good enough for me.
When I used to shoot a lot of clay targets, a number of our squad were well heeled individuals... they could have bought and sold me ten times over. One of them refused to pay the freight for the big name watches, even though he could have well afforded to. He got me started on Citizens. Another gent, probably even more well off, swore by his Timex..

Who am I to argue?

That said, I love the craftsmanship of the truly high end watches... Always fancied Breitling.
No issues with a Citizen. High end watches are not for everyone, but there are quite a few excellent mid-tier watches. I own 7 watches of which 4 are “high-end”: Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin and 2 Omegas. The other 3 are solid mid tier and entry level: Heuer, Momentum/St Moritz with a Seiko auto. movement, and Citizen Ecodrive. I chose mty watches carefully and look for quality and value; I couldn’t give a damn if some celebrity or super jock owns or advertises one and this could have the opposite effect of turning me off (Rolex being a case in point: good, solid watches, but over priced and over hyped).

Occams Razor

I have a Steeldive 1953 - an 'hommage' to the Rolex Submariner. I like a dive watch, and the automatic movement. The 1953 just fits me well, and having accepted that I'll never own a Rolex, I settled for the Steeldive after investigating a host of brand name alternatives. Importantly, I'm not trying to pretend it's a Rolex - I can't abide counterfeits, but the Steeldive is its own watch. It is also waterproof, accurate, has sapphire glass and a screw down crown. The lume is spectacular. I wear it in the mud, rain, when servicing the car, in the garden and have no issues with it. I don't even mind wearing it on a NATO strap - I happen to like it - but have rubber and steel as well. I have even dived with it. Mine is waterproof enough, but I'm not saying every one will be. In short, if I can't enjoy the genuine article, why not have a watch that, while not an heirloom (that's another story altogether), is plenty good enough? PS - I have a genuine G Shock that I like too. :okay:

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I have a Steeldive 1953 - an 'hommage' to the Rolex Submariner. I like a dive watch, and the automatic movement. The 1953 just fits me well, and having accepted that I'll never own a Rolex, I settled for the Steeldive after investigating a host of brand name alternatives. Importantly, I'm not trying to pretend it's a Rolex - I can't abide counterfeits, but the Steeldive is its own watch. It is also waterproof, accurate, has sapphire glass and a screw down crown. The lume is spectacular. I wear it in the mud, rain, when servicing the car, in the garden and have no issues with it. I don't even mind wearing it on a NATO strap - I happen to like it - but have rubber and steel as well. I have even dived with it. Mine is waterproof enough, but I'm not saying every one will be. In short, if I can't enjoy the genuine article, why not have a watch that, while not an heirloom (that's another story altogether), is plenty good enough? PS - I have a genuine G Shock that I like too. :okay:
I had not heard of this brand. Thank you. I found this regarding the movement, The Heart of Seiko Mod Watches: The NH35 Movement (swisswatchers.com)

TobyC

Patriot
Back when I needed to wear a watch to keep an eye on the time I bought cheap crap. The kind of work I was doing was very unkind to them and if one got smashed I could just pitch it and get another. Never wore one for adornment and I don't wear rings or chains or any other crap. Now I have the ubiquitous phone.

Zorro

Forum GOD!
I bought a genuine Rolex Sub date in 2013. Never really felt comfortable with wearing it out too much because of its value.

Final straw was Rolex wanted £650 for a service, so sold it in 2022 for twice what i paid for it and bought a lovely Citizen ProMaster divers watch for just £300.

Solid Titanium case and bracelet with great build quality, fantastic lume, solar powered quartz accurate to approx 5 sec a month. 200m "Divers" ISO rating. Plus it has contemporary design and isnt just another Rolex copy with Mercedes hands.

Love it and feel very comfortable wearing it out because a) hopefully no one will want to steal a Citizen and b) it only costs £300 to replace it :okay:

Occams Razor

I had not heard of this brand. Thank you. I found this regarding the movement, The Heart of Seiko Mod Watches: The NH35 Movement (swisswatchers.com)
Cool page with some good info. Most of the Steeldive watches use the NH35, and I think it is because it is a reliable and keeps time reasonably well - actually within the Swiss chronometer specs of -4 to +6 seconds a day. Mine picks up a touch over 4 secs a day. If it breaks, I can pick up a whole new watch for less than it costs for the jeweller to service a Rolex, as @Zorro points out. The 1953 model is currently about NZ$100 if you catch a daily deal on AliExpress, which is hard to beat.

Vacumatic

Testy
Service costs are just not something I think about when buying watches, pens and cameras, and yet it is high on my list when car buying

I used to buy Nikon cameras, this was the 1980s but they were simply unreliable. Nikon wanted a minimum of £80 for a service or to look at the camera, and bear in mind that a camera body was about £300 at the time.

Montblanc want a £100 minimum to work on a fountain pen, they are actually not as reliable and problem free as you would hope.

I had a Rolex Oyster that gained five minutes a week, it went back to Rolex and they say that it was reasonable and I should live with it, I didn't I sold it.

At the time I had a Seiko and a Citizen and the accuracy was pin sharp, spoiled me for good.

Telling the story of the Rolex to a friend who worked at a major company on cruise ships, he brought this pen back from Singapore for me as a joke, I only wore it for a day but it kept time as well as the real McCoy.

RedDaytona.jpg

It is off topic but he has some very dodgy stories about passengers going missing, both ashore and on board, and what happens to their effects.

Paper Plane

Forum GOD!
Service costs are just not something I think about when buying watches, pens and cameras, and yet it is high on my list when car buying

I used to buy Nikon cameras, this was the 1980s but they were simply unreliable. Nikon wanted a minimum of £80 for a service or to look at the camera, and bear in mind that a camera body was about £300 at the time.

Montblanc want a £100 minimum to work on a fountain pen, they are actually not as reliable and problem free as you would hope.

I had a Rolex Oyster that gained five minutes a week, it went back to Rolex and they say that it was reasonable and I should live with it, I didn't I sold it.

At the time I had a Seiko and a Citizen and the accuracy was pin sharp, spoiled me for good.

Telling the story of the Rolex to a friend who worked at a major company on cruise ships, he brought this pen back from Singapore for me as a joke, I only wore it for a day but it kept time as well as the real McCoy.

View attachment 149090

It is off topic but he has some very dodgy stories about passengers going missing, both ashore and on board, and what happens to their effects.
I’d be happy with that if someone gave it to me, fake or no. :D

steve