Fake watches

Xring3

Forum GOD!
It is not so much that I will be at 200 meters as I want some assurance I can swim and do water sports and not have the crystal fog.

The real problem is finding someone reliable that can repair or service your watch. My Hamilton Khaki is still at the watch repair place as it was in 2018. The cost to send off was more than I paid for the watch which soured me on automatic or mechanical watches for daily use. I had no idea they needed servicing often (q2years). I was willing to pay $200, but after this much time, he can have it.
You’ve made one of my points about premium watches. Cost of servicing after you have already paid a lot of money just to buy it.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
You’ve made one of my points about premium watches. Cost of servicing after you have already paid a lot of money just to buy it.
You are quite right, but if the watch is off warranty and you know a fully qualified, independent watchmaker you can have it serviced for a fraction of the cost of sending it to the manufacturer. I’ve found that manufacturers like to do a lot of unnecessary work. For example, I’ve a Vacheron Constantin watch which is 50 years old and I sent it to VC in Geneva for a routine maintenance. The quote they gave me was ludicrous; on further enquiry I learnt that it included replacing the hands of the watch and refinishing the face because of the patina/discolouration but there was nothing wrong with the movement. I couldn’t see the patina/discolouration on the hands or the face without a jewellers loupe; importantly though, this sort of ageing on a vintage watch is what collectors like to see and its removal would reduce the value of the watch in that market. VC advised that such restorative work was their policy as they strive to return the watch to as new condition. Needless to say, I had VC return the watch untouched and took it to my trusted independent watchmaker who confirmed the watch just needed a routine service. Since then the watch has performed flawlessly and the service cost a fraction of what VC as going to charge.

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
This thread caused me to investigate the cost of serving a Rolex, just a maintenance type service. The cost I found was between $600-$1000, which is roughly 10% of the watches MAP.

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
You are quite right, but if the watch is off warranty and you know a fully qualified, independent watchmaker you can have it serviced for a fraction of the cost of sending it to the manufacturer. I’ve found that manufacturers like to do a lot of unnecessary work. For example, I’ve a Vacheron Constantin watch which is 50 years old and I sent it to VC in Geneva for a routine maintenance. The quote they gave me was ludicrous; on further enquiry I learnt that it included replacing the hands of the watch and refinishing the face because of the patina/discolouration but there was nothing wrong with the movement. I couldn’t see the patina/discolouration on the hands or the face without a jewellers loupe; importantly though, this sort of ageing on a vintage watch is what collectors like to see and its removal would reduce the value of the watch in that market. VC advised that such restorative work was their policy as they strive to return the watch to as new condition. Needless to say, I had VC return the watch untouched and took it to my trusted independent watchmaker who confirmed the watch just needed a routine service. Since then the watch has performed flawlessly and the service cost a fraction of what VC as going to charge.
The problem is these folks are aging and some have gone out of business. For collectability, replacing the crystal actually diminishes the collectability.

Vacumatic

Testy
This thread caused me to investigate the cost of serving a Rolex, just a maintenance type service. The cost I found was between $600-$1000, which is roughly 10% of the watches MAP.
I used to use a Nikon camera on a semi professional basis, the cost of the service was also around 10% of the purchase price, I changed brands which was darned annoying because, from memory, the lenses were unique to Nikon.

My Rolex used to lose time each day, I paid their service fee for them to sort it out, it took months to come back and when it did arrive there was the comment that I should simply adjust the watch each day.

Xring3

Forum GOD!
Finding someone to service a watch is a growing problem. I live in Northwest Oklahoma. It’s sometimes referred to as god’s country because no one else would have it. Anyway, the local jeweler now has to send off watch repair as the closest repairman died. A few years ago Rolex funded a program at Oklahoma State University to train students in watch repair. That program was abandoned for lacking student interest in watch repair.

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I used to use a Nikon camera on a semi professional basis, the cost of the service was also around 10% of the purchase price, I changed brands which was darned annoying because, from memory, the lenses were unique to Nikon.

My Rolex used to lose time each day, I paid their service fee for them to sort it out, it took months to come back and when it did arrive there was the comment that I should simply adjust the watch each day.
Simply adjust each day...LOL!! That tells me a lot about what the factory thinks of their product.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
How much time was it losing? I think COSC spec on a mechanical is -5 / +5 seconds per day.

Vacumatic

Testy
How much time was it losing? I think COSC spec on a mechanical is -5 / +5 seconds per day.
It was losing more than 5 seconds a day, perhaps two minutes a week. I know that doesn't sound very much but at the time I was working in the City and you arrived on the dot for each appointment. I was also used to Citizen and Seiko Quartz watches which never missed a beat, I had great expectations that this expensive watch should be at least as good as a cheaper alternative.

Xring3

Forum GOD!
875DBF18-7119-47FB-82B2-3BC5D7FF3449.jpeg89B359F0-4F68-4DD8-942B-A9A3AF417BFD.jpegThis is an interesting watch. The brand is a Paul A Reis. It’s Chinese but I don’t think it’s a knock-off. They probably put a fancy name on a China produced product. Nevertheless, it keeps time well and gains about 60 seconds every three weeks. It has a jeweled movement and is self winding. Overall finish is good except for a rough machining finish on the internal parts. I’ve had this for about a year and when it does breakdown I’ll just throw it away. Cost, if I remember correctly, was about $25.00 including shipping.

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
View attachment 109249View attachment 109250This is an interesting watch. The brand is a Paul A Reis. It’s Chinese but I don’t think it’s a knock-off. They probably put a fancy name on a China produced product. Nevertheless, it keeps time well and gains about 60 seconds every three weeks. It has a jeweled movement and is self winding. Overall finish is good except for a rough machining finish on the internal parts. I’ve had this for about a year and when it does breakdown I’ll just throw it away. Cost, if I remember correctly, was about $25.00 including shipping.
I want one…lol!!

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
It was losing more than 5 seconds a day, perhaps two minutes a week. I know that doesn't sound very much but at the time I was working in the City and you arrived on the dot for each appointment. I was also used to Citizen and Seiko Quartz watches which never missed a beat, I had great expectations that this expensive watch should be at least as good as a cheaper alternative.
I really wouldn’t be happy with that especially for a high end watch like a Rolex, I think my Seiko Monster gains about two minutes a fortnight and I paid £170 for that.