Your best adjustable...or adjustables. Pics or not, your choice....

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Hi @Rowlers, no I haven't tried a FatBoy yet. Slims kind of halted me in my tracks.
Are they that much better? Might have to look out for one. :okay:
Not necessarily better, some think that slims are better than FBs. Worth trying though. There is a pass around FB if you want to try before you buy...
 

Bbbbob71

Forum GOD!
Thanks @Rowlers .
Interesting.
I think it's something to do with the head geometry and blade angle formed by the butterfly doors.
I've tried mild and aggressive razors, but the I just cannot find the sweet spot with the Slim.
Always seems tuggy and uncomfortable. But maybe that's just me.
 

art101980

Forum GOD!
I have a couple of slims, a fatboy, a futur and a Rex Ambassador

I find the slims smoother than the fatboy
The futur an unforgiving brute even on low settings
If I could only have 1 it would be the Rex, but if I could get a chance at the B&R adjustable that might change

The joys of too much choice
Might move a slim and the futur at least in the coming weeks/months (maybe)
 

Jim Kleinkauf

Forum GOD!
Is the Viking any good?

There seems to be a lot of clones on ebay for around £10.
Much better than I expected. Good fit and finish. No apparent QC problems, other than the doors don't open as wide as I would like. Works like an adjustable TTO should.
 

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Much better than I expected. Good fit and finish. No apparent QC problems, other than the doors don't open as wide as I would like. Works like an adjustable TTO should.

I thought the same thing. But, if you turn the adjuster setting dial to max while the doors are open, it will open them a bit more and easily allow blade install/removal. I believe Vikings Blade mentions this in their informational pamphlet. I actually found this out by mistake as I didn’t even bother reading the instructions. Old age and cranky I is....
 

Jim Kleinkauf

Forum GOD!
I thought the same thing. But, if you turn the adjuster setting dial to max while the doors are open, it will open them a bit more and easily allow blade install/removal. I believe Vikings Blade mentions this in their informational pamphlet. I actually found this out by mistake as I didn’t even bother reading the instructions. Old age and cranky I is....
Good to know. It's like they say about us photographers: We only read the manual when the camera won't work.
 

Doti B

Forum GOD!
I have 4 adjustables, all Gillette as follows
1. Fatboy - 1959
2. Slim - 1964
3. Black beauty with metal base plate - 1971
4. Black Beauty with plastic base plate - 1980
Love them all but my favourite is the Fatboy
 

gile

Forum GOD!
True adjustable would be merkur progress but if karve counts I would say him even though I have only B plate
 
Top