What's the dinner tonight?

Smiffy

Forum GOD!
Had to educate myself on Toad in the Hole, “Dishes like toad in the hole appeared in print as early as 1762, when it was described as a "vulgar" name for a "small piece of beef baked in a large pudding".[5] Toad in the hole was originally created as a way to stretch out meat in poor households”

In some parts of the country, especially the north, Yorkshire pudding was a starter, on its own or with gravy, the idea was that you would feel quite full after your low cost starter and not need the more expensive meat and vegetables.

A local pub took this idea to the next level for Sunday lunch and made Yorkshire puddings the size of a soccer ball, cut some huge slices of roast beef and plenty of gravy. They were packed every sunday.

I think it must be simple to make, just a batter mix and some quality sausages all in a very hot oven, I can imagine that your grandchildren would love it.
 
Last edited:

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
In some parts of the country, especially the north, Yorkshire pudding was a starter, on its own or with gravy, the idea was that you would feel quite full after your low cost starter and not need the more expensive meat and vegetables.

A local pub took this idea to the next level for Sunday lunch and made Yorkshire puddings the size of a soccer ball, cut some huge slices of roast beef and plenty of gravy. They were packed every sunday.

I think it must be simple to make, just a batter mix and some quality sausages all in a very hot over, I can imagine that your grandchildren would love it.

I'm a big fan of Yorkshires. I always go for two with dinner. I also like the giant version with the dinner served inside the Yorkshire. Aunt Bessie does a nice ready-to-serve version.
 

Smiffy

Forum GOD!
I'm a big fan of Yorkshires. I always go for two with dinner. I also like the giant version with the dinner served inside the Yorkshire. Aunt Bessie does a nice ready-to-serve version.
I have heard that in York there are fast food places that scrap the bread for a sandwich and replace it with a Yorkshire pudding wrap, looks like good picnic food to me

images.jpg



Must admit we deserved our reputation for bad food in the past, we look to have become inventive and much more interesting.
 
Top