What watch are you wearing today (WRUW)

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
I may need to start saving, I just came across this beauty. It was love at first sight and a British-made watch it's drop-dead gorgeous.

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 06-03-36 Bremont Watches and Wonders 2024 New Releases.png

Last edited:

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I may need to start saving, I just came across this beauty. It was love at first sight and a British-made watch it's drop-dead gorgeous.

View attachment 150157
Absolutely love this watch. It’s similar to my Hamilton, below, but twice the price:

IMG_0080.jpeg

Dr Watson

James
Are Rolex watches readily available these days or do you have to wait for them? Or is it dependant on model?
cvmnmb6br7j71.jpg

Well, I hear it's improved a little bit but still mostly depends on your relationship with the AD. I walked in with no purchase history and and said I wanted an Explorer 2, they said may be possible within 2 years... I said OK fine but also let me know if anything else becomes available and 10 weeks later they had a blue dial DJ36.

But then you watch something like this and it makes you question the whole thing lol (27 minute mark...)

Last edited:

N_Architect

Travel, See, Feel, Explore
Are Rolex watches readily available these days or do you have to wait for them? Or is it dependant on model?
Jon

The situation has slightly improved compared to (say) 2-3 yrs back but still it is dependent on the model and overall pretty difficult overall.

This one I got from a 'grey' dealer in Central Europe (Czech Republic).

Just to give you an idea of the waiting times, I put my name on 1st April 2023 for the same model (just different metal - yellow gold instead of white gold that this one is) at my Rolex AD down in the U.A.E., and still have not received the call from Dubai to pick up the watch.

All that despite the fact that I have purchase history of approx. GBP 64k down in the U.A.E. with the subject A.D.
But that purchase history level down there is insignificant, really.
There are much stronger players who splurge much more heavily on a consistent basis.

In this case, the dealer from the Czech Republic has his own channels and they get any watch you like through the back door of the local Rolex AD.

I traded three pieces (total value offered to me GBP 30,230.00)
Watch cost GBP 36,600.00 from the Czech dealer (retail in my country GBP 37,745.00)
So I went ahead with an additional top up from my side of roughly GBP 6,370.00 plus the three watches of course which I sent to them.

They promised 14 days delivery for this specific model, and actually had the watch in their hands in half of that time.
In a matter of 2 1/2 weeks the whole case was over - I enquired, received a quote, sent them my watches, wired the top up, they ordered the DD40 and shipped it over.
I received my watch today, brand new piece [2024] with full 5yrs Rolex warranty.

For stainless steel sports models (e.g. Rolex GMT Master II) the situation is still appalling, though.
Very popular references such as the GMT sell for more than double the retail price.

To get a Rolex GMT from an AD at retail in most cases you need to have more or less six-digit figure purchase history, and not just one year but for a number of consecutive years.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
Rolex has conducted the shrewdest marketing campaigns of all time. And are perhaps most successful at retail price maintenance. They manufacture about one million watches a year, and are expanding production, compared with the combined total of160,000 produced by the Holy Trinity (Patek, AP and Vacheron). I don’t understand the (continuing) allure of Rolex; the only model that appeals to me is the 1908.

R181

Grumpy old man
Rolex has conducted the shrewdest marketing campaigns of all time. And are perhaps most successful at retail price maintenance. They manufacture about one million watches a year, and are expanding production, compared with the combined total of160,000 produced by the Holy Trinity (Patek, AP and Vacheron). I don’t understand the (continuing) allure of Rolex; the only model that appeals to me is the 1908.
Makes you wonder what they think of their customers. There was a saying in the navy that seems to cover that. They didn't see you coming, they had you piped. I hate when companies treat their customers like that.

Bob