Pass Around Timeless Razors Pass Around

1morepasswill

Forum GOD!

Initial thoughts of the razor is that its a beautifully crafted and finished piece of work. A nice deep shiny gloss from the SS and the very substantial feel to it tick all the boxes for a modern high end razor. This is the first razor I have tried with the deep , chunky blade posts and it does make a difference in the shave similar to how a single edge blade feels. It's shaping up to be worth the money I'll need to pay eventually to own one.

I went with the shorter handle that the knurling reminded me of some darts I have used in the past, the kind that you can really feel gripping onto your fingerprints! I've always admired the scalloped Timeless design so I plumped for the matching head and 0.68 base plate since it was my first use and with only 1 day of growth. Unfortunately I made the mistake of using a Gillette Platinum Plus that I have only used once previously and I should have went for a more familiar blade in hindsight.

The comparison with the Merkur Futur in shave I felt were fair ( as far as the Futur being laser accurate when used properly) just a much better experience overall. Not much weight if any is required as I felt the substantial heft in the razor head did all the work for me. It zipped about really nicely until I got to my neck where I can sometimes overdo it and I did last night. I felt for the "mildest" blade gap it was not aggressive but I knew I couldn't mess about with it and although I got a couple nicks on my neck I could put that down to the new blade and razor combo as well since SV lather for me is one of the best out there.
Overall I'm very impressed with the fit, finish and materials used, it's got a gorgeous steampunk look to it as well and I'm looking forward to trying the various combinations. Thanks to Steve Wilson for supplying it very well packaged and in good time, it's just a shame I couldn't say the same for Royal Mail. If only the parcel could talk and tell us where it has been for the past 2 weeks or so

1morepasswill

Forum GOD!
So last night I used the 0.95 straight bar base plate with the smooth cap and again the shorter really knurled handle and it was a very smooth shave with no cuts or any irritation. I used a Timor blade on its 2nd shave ( I know I'm messing about with my blades a bit ) and used the same angle I use with my ATT S1/S2 and it was a superb shave. Next up is the scalloped base plate with the 0.95 gap, I don't expect much to change but we'll see. Am interesting point to note for people who appreciate a bit of knurling , when I was setting up my SOTD pic the razor began to slip off the top of my soap tub and it just clung onto it and dug itself in! No danger of dropping this handle :D

Last edited:

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
So last night I used the 0.95 straight bar base plate with the smooth cap and again the shorter really knurled handle and it was a very smooth shave with no cuts or any irritation. I used a Timor blade on its 2nd shave ( I know I'm messing about with my blades a bit ) and used the same angle I use with my ATT S1/S2 and it was a superb shave. Next up is the scalloped base plate with the 0.95 gap, I don't expect much to change but we'll see. Am interesting point to note for people who appreciate a bit of knurling , when I was setting up my SOTD pic the razor began to slip off the top of my soap tub and it just clung onto it and dug itself in! No danger of dropping this handle :D
It is the one handle I own that exhibits the most grip. I was trying to remember where I had felt this type of grip before, I went forward and back and settled on rubber thimbles, but the dart shaft comment is spot on, similar to some vintage brass ones I own.

1morepasswill

Forum GOD!
It is the one handle I own that exhibits the most grip. I was trying to remember where I had felt this type of grip before, I went forward and back and settled on rubber thimbles, but the dart shaft comment is spot on, similar to some vintage brass ones I own.
It reminded me of how I used to blame the over grippy dart shafts for my piss poor release that made them land in the 1 or 5 bed:laugh:

1morepasswill

Forum GOD!
So on Tuesday I went with the same handle as I've used previously and the 0.95 blade gap scalloped plate with the matching scalloped head. The Timor was to be on its 3rd and last use, still fine but it wasn't quite as keen so I binned it. The scalloped plate and top cap as far as I could see didn't make any appreciable difference from the straight bar (0.95) and smooth cap I used previously. It was a quick and late 2 passer so nothing much to report really.

1morepasswill

Forum GOD!
So tonight I went with as per usual the shorter handle but with the OC plate and scalloped head. I was expecting a smoother ride than I get with my S2 but I felt the S2 just a bit more comfortable and smoother. I did something twice tonight that I've not done since the early days of DE shaving, I nicked myself twice with the blade overhang just under my ear. I'll be moving on to the longer , heavier handle next to run through the base plates and caps and so far I felt the straight bar 0.95 with the smooth top cap has been my favourite.

1morepasswill

Forum GOD!

So I'm now onto the longer , heavier handle and although I liked the shorter and very grippy handle I can tell from one shave this is my favourite of the two. I went with the 0.68 Scalloped base and smooth top cap and I'd say this was my best shave yet of all the combinations with the shorter handle. The straight bar is next up which coincidentally gave me the best results at the beginning of the week.

halvor

a most elusive fish
Great reports, Will, and commendable colour theming in your photos :) Not to mention the gear itself. Still waiting to hear from Florian, myself.

1morepasswill

Forum GOD!
Great reports, Will, and commendable colour theming in your photos :) Not to mention the gear itself. Still waiting to hear from Florian, myself.
Thanks for the kind words. I think we will be waiting a while before we hear. I have a feeling he has shut his order book at some point and is working through them before shutting up shop , apparently he may have health issues unfortunately.