That's my Badgers gone

Wayne

Forum Sod
Very nice Wayne, I think I'm going to enjoy following this White Rabbit. :notworthy:
Thank you. Lots of great artisans out there making lovely handles for not a lot of money such as Wildwestbrushworks on Etsy. He makes lovely handles or full brushes if you prefer. Derek does really nice work. Worth checking out.
 

donnie_arko

Forum GOD!
Yep. That the one.

@Wayne sorry for hi-jacking your thread. Kudos to you for taking this stand and selling off the lovely brushes. 🤛

Last year my daughter asked me to not buy any more badger brushes which I’ve stuck to (except the Yaqi one that I’ve now PIFed and I promised to not buy any NEW badger brushes just in case a Chubby 3 appears on BST!) but I’ve not taken the leap to sell mine.
I'm fairly sure Maggard use the same knots as Yaqi and for those who want to use a Boss Knot/Faux Horse (the same fibre but dyed a different colour) can buy the knots from them by themselves.

Here is my current line up but I have just bought a Simpsons Chubby 2 synthetic to add.
View attachment 76930
A nice collection of brushes you have there Wayne. I've enjoyed reading of your journey from badger to synth, and the conviction with your observations regarding aspects of the industry.
 

Randomangle

Über Bum
Thank you. Lots of great artisans out there making lovely handles for not a lot of money such as Wildwestbrushworks on Etsy. He makes lovely handles or full brushes if you prefer. Derek does really nice work. Worth checking out.
Thanks Wayne will do, also might start trawling for vintage on the Flea.
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
I'm fairly sure Maggard use the same knots as Yaqi and for those who want to use a Boss Knot/Faux Horse (the same fibre but dyed a different colour) can buy the knots from them by themselves.



A nice collection of brushes you have there Wayne. I've enjoyed reading of your journey from badger to synth, and the conviction with your observations regarding aspects of the industry.
Thank you very much.
 
Wow mate, wasn’t long ago that the preference was reversed. But if it makes you happier then that’s all that counts, fair play to you. WAWAW
 

celestino

Forum GOD!
They don’t have the plushness of the Cubby 2 knot but they feel more natural and if I could only keep one it’d be a large (26-28mm) noir knot
Well, being as inquisitive as ever and thanks to your input, I've just ordered one of the Yaqi 26mm Noir knots, but in the brown-dyed version with the rainbow handle. I'll let you know my impressions.👍
 
Last edited:

celestino

Forum GOD!
Well, being as inquisitive as ever and thanks to your input, I've just ordered one of the Yaqi 26mm Noir knots, but in the brown-dyed version with the rainbow handle. I'll let you know my impressions.👍
An update; I received this brush, yesterday and used it today for a faceshave, and I have to admit, it is very nice. There is no mild prickly sensation that I have gotten with all other synthetic knots, discounting the Chubby 2. The brush doesn't have as strong of a backbone as the Chubby 2, but it is a very nice knot, especially, for its price and the handle is so much better than the Chubby 2.
Thanks to @p.b for the recommendation of these knots. 👍
 
Last edited:

p.b

Forum GOD!
An update; I received this brush, yesterday and used it today for a faceshave, and I have to admit, it is very nice. There is no mild prickly sensation that I have gotten with all other synthetic knots, discounting the Chubby 2. The brush doesn't have as strong of a backbone as the Chubby 2, but it is a very nice knot, especially, for its price and the handle is so much better than the Chubby 2.
Thanks to @p.b for the recommendation of these knots. 👍
Glad you like it. I know it has nowhere near the backbone of your favoured badgers but I think having a brush a little different to ones norm makes a nice change of pace sometimes.
 

MrK1

Forum GOD!
Glad you like it. I know it has nowhere near the backbone of your favoured badgers but I think having a brush a little different to ones norm makes a nice change of pace sometimes.

If you don't mind me asking, what size handle is your Vlasta handle 26 or 28?
What size boss knot did you put in it?

I know that sounds like a stupid question, but I have a 28mm Vlasta handle with a 26mm knot in it. It fits perfectly as the knot above the glue plug blooms out quite wide.
 
Last edited:

celestino

Forum GOD!
Glad you like it. I know it has nowhere near the backbone of your favoured badgers but I think having a brush a little different to ones norm makes a nice change of pace sometimes.
I completely agree and thanks again. 👍
 

p.b

Forum GOD!
If you don't mind me asking, what size handle is your Vlasta handle 26 or 28?
What size boss knot did you put in it?

I know that sounds like a stupid question, but I have a 28mm Vlasta handle with a 26mm knot in it. It fits perfectly as the knot above the glue plug blooms out quite wide.
I have a V1 which is the 28mm bore and it fits the 26mm Yaqi and ~27mm Simpson CH2 knot very well.
 
Top