That's my Badgers gone

celestino

Forum GOD!
I like synthetics and use them a lot but IMO nothing beats the feel of badger.
Agreed. Love the performance and ethics of synthetic hair, but I find I miss the natural hair knots for the way the hair behaves. It just doesn’t have the springy nature of synths, and each knot has its own character and feel.
+1

Nevertheless, congratulations on the new journey with your brushes, Wayne! 👍

p.b

Forum GOD!
@p.b Is it this brush/knot ?

US $14.86 | Yaqi 26mm Soft Black Synthetic Hair Knot Orange Handle Shaving Brushes https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtXBC71
Yep. That the one.

@Wayne sorry for hi-jacking your thread. Kudos to you for taking this stand and selling off the lovely brushes. 🤛

Last year my daughter asked me to not buy any more badger brushes which I’ve stuck to (except the Yaqi one that I’ve now PIFed and I promised to not buy any NEW badger brushes just in case a Chubby 3 appears on BST!) but I’ve not taken the leap to sell mine.

MPF9

Forum GOD!
I remember while in HMF and obviously Shaved daily , I only ever kept one brush. In fact when I went back to use of soap rather than gloop, I still had the one boar I used in the 70s. Things have changed as I have a few boars and Synthetics. We all could perhaps manage on less and if we are honest we don't need high end brushes to get a decent Shave. However, we are human and there is certainly kerb appeal in some of the Brush Creations around.

Wayne

Forum Sod
Yep. That the one.

@Wayne sorry for hi-jacking your thread. Kudos to you for taking this stand and selling off the lovely brushes. 🤛

Last year my daughter asked me to not buy any more badger brushes which I’ve stuck to (except the Yaqi one that I’ve now PIFed and I promised to not buy any NEW badger brushes just in case a Chubby 3 appears on BST!) but I’ve not taken the leap to sell mine.
No apology needed pal. It's made the thread a better read with lots of great info for all.

Reactions: p.b

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
Here is a video from the PETA investigation that prompted the likes of Floris, Kent and Penhaligon’s to drop badger brushes. It makes for hideous viewing.

CobraX

Legendary Member
The only advantage badger brushes have over synthetics for me, is the face feel. It doesn't feel like I'm putting a brush to my face when I use my Silvertips, it feels like I'm putting a tiny pillow to my face. But even then the advantage isn't huge because my Cashmere feels super soft on the face too.

I've looked at my shaves in 2020 so far and I've always used a synthetic brush except for 1 time in August when I've used one of my Silvertips. Now that I'm used to my synthetics, I'm starting to dislike my badger brushes. I hate how they are real lather hogs with very poor flowthrough. I also don't like how long they take to dry. They are also less consistent in terms of nailing the lather (it requires more effort than with my synthetics).

The springy nature of synthetics is less of an issue with my Cashmere which hardly has any backbone. In fact I've only used 2 different brushes for around 90% of my shaves this year: my APShaveCo Cashmere 24mm with Jet Black handle and my Maggard Razors SilkSmoke 24mm (technically I don't even think it's a SilkSmoke knot since it feels pretty similar to my Cashmere, but it looks like one and Maggard Razors doesn't have a proper name for the knot).