Tabac Convert

thehaverl

Forum GOD!
Oh where have I been living recently. Missed this, now I'm glad I caught it.
Almost to the end of my puck+tub, was planning to get a puck.
Now I might double up and get 2 or 3 pucks for it to last.
As long as I can get the old formula.

I don't fancy the new formulation until a lot of new reviews come out.

thehaverl

Forum GOD!
Hopefully the new version is good. I’ve just received some for my stash from Amazon with the old formula 😊
Nice 1. I'm waiting on some replies from companies to see about Tallow vs Vegetal before I purchase quite a lot of Tabac refill bowls.

I received another 6 of the shaving bowl refills from Fragrance Direct this morning of the tallow version , it was very reasonably priced at £4.99p with free P and P ., apparently others have not been so lucky and have received the new version .
My stash now stands at ,
Bowls , 2 , one partly used ,
125 gram bowl refills,8,
100 gram shaving sticks , 2
100 gram shaving stick refills , 10 .
If I live to use that lot up I’ll be a happy man.

RussellR5555

Forum GOD!
I posted this to another forum , but thought i would share it here too.

My new formula Tabac arrived this morning and whilst I can't compare to the old one as I have never used it (I avoid Tallow) what I would say is that the performance of the soap is excellent , I face lathered and after a short load from the puck I had lots of very nice lather , applied to the face and then hydrated it produced a rich creamy lather , with plenty of cushion and some serious slickness.

I am not sure if I like or dislike the scent , but there is plenty of that too.

I am a massive fan of Saponificio Varesino and I would say the Tabac Matched it in all of the key areas of Slickness, Cushion , and Richness of Lather. It was maybe not as good in the post shave as S.V.

As always YMMV.

SammieM

Forum GOD!
I posted this to another forum , but thought i would share it here too.

My new formula Tabac arrived this morning and whilst I can't compare to the old one as I have never used it (I avoid Tallow) what I would say is that the performance of the soap is excellent , I face lathered and after a short load from the puck I had lots of very nice lather , applied to the face and then hydrated it produced a rich creamy lather , with plenty of cushion and some serious slickness.

I am not sure if I like or dislike the scent , but there is plenty of that too.

I am a massive fan of Saponificio Varesino and I would say the Tabac Matched it in all of the key areas of Slickness, Cushion , and Richness of Lather. It was maybe not as good in the post shave as S.V.

As always YMMV.
Thank you for this long anticipated review Russ. None of us were brave enough to test the new soap, although it costs pennies on the dollar compared to some artisan soaps that we get without a second thought. I will get some of the new formula as my bowl is nearly empty. We, the die hard fans, can rest easy as it seems the Tabac producer hasn’t completely botched the new recipe.

Last edited:

Fozzie Bear

Forum Clod!
I ordered two bowl refills today, its the old Tallow formula so based on the amount of other soap I have and how long Tabac lasts it should see me alright!.

ewkist

Forum GOD!
Curious, I purchased two new pucks; one puck is the new formulation, and the second is the original formula. They both arrived on the same day.
IMG_20210804_211156001.jpg

The new formula (top in photo) is much lighter in color than the original. Scent strength right off the puck is stronger on the new, but it lacks the "Aunt Elsie's purse" vibe that makes the original so desirable. The new scent is not as complex; it is lighter, with a tinge of something medicinal.

IMG_20210804_213135826.jpeg

The lather was very light, dry, and airy. I added a good amount of water to hydrate, but it never reached the creaminess of old Tabac. Scent level decreased dramatically when lathered.

For me, the joy of Tabac is the scent. I sincerely hoped the new formulation would match, but it does not come close.

As to performance, the new falls short for me as well. Original Tabac does not leave me with residual slickness, and feels dry by the end of a pass. The new accelerates the drying effect.

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
It is good to get a few reviews here, I have no doubt, both formulations will have their fans, but based upon previous re-formulations by many other soap manufacturers something is often lost when Tallow is dropped. The writing is on the wall for tallow in shaving soaps me thinks. It probably will not be long before tallow shaving soaps are a product of the past.

Last edited:

donnie_arko

Forum GOD!
It is good to get a few reviews here, I have no doubt, both formulations will have their fans, but based upon previous re-formulations by many other soap manufacturers something is often lost when Tallow is dropped. The writing is on the wall for tallow in shaving soaps me thinks, It probably will not be long tallow shaving soaps are a product of the past.
I agree, that tallow as an ingredient for European mass manufactured shaving soaps is likely to be resigned to the past.

For this moment in time, I can't see Turkish tallow soaps like Arko and Derby switching to a vegan reformulation, as I imagine beef tallow is far cheaper than Coconut/Palm Oil there, but the world changes quickly so such a change might not be that far behind.

There'll be artisan shaving products though.

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
I agree, that tallow as an ingredient for European mass manufactured shaving soaps is likely to be resigned to the past.

For this moment in time, I can't see Turkish tallow soaps like Arko and Derby switching to a vegan reformulation, as I imagine beef tallow is far cheaper than Coconut/Palm Oil there, but the world changes quickly so such a change might not be that far behind.

There'll be artisan shaving products though.
...yes, I would also be suprised if Arko and Derby are reformulated anytine soon, unless they start feeding cows to cows like we did in the UK and bovine spongiform encephalopathy breaks out...