Tabac Convert

Ventastic

Forum GOD!
I’ve found the majority of my stash and

it’s the old tallow formula, anyone know when they changed?
Mine from 2 weeks ago via amazon are also the old formula. Restock via that source is 01.08 so probably the new one then.

HereticHermit

Forum GOD!
Objectively speaking, when pitted against artisan soaps, Tabac did not really ran circles around them but it was good for the price. I have only two jars in stock and not sure if am going to miss it.
At best an above average performer in previous incarnation, I don't think it will get any better without tallow.

donnie_arko

Forum GOD!
Objectively speaking, when pitted against artisan soaps, Tabac did not really ran circles around them but it was good for the price. I have only two jars in stock and not sure if am going to miss it.
At best an above average performer in previous incarnation, I don't think it will get any better without tallow.
I find Tabac to be a good soap, I prefer the lather of MWF, but I really like the size of the Tabac shaving stick for loading directly to the face for building a lather.

donnie_arko

Forum GOD!
I was gripped with a moment of panic when I read Tabac had reformulated and immediately checked my stash. Thankfully all good. What a bloody shame that another iconic shaving soap has gone the way of the DoDo.
How big are your Tabac reserves?

I'm seriously considering getting a few years worth of tallow shaving sticks. Palmolive went last year I think, tallow Tabac probably this year, Wilkinson Sword I think has gone as well, pretty much just leaves Speick as the last standing German tallow shaving stick.

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
How big are your Tabac reserves?

I'm seriously considering getting a few years worth of tallow shaving sticks. Palmolive went last year I think, tallow Tabac probably this year, Wilkinson Sword I think has gone as well, pretty much just leaves Speick as the last standing German tallow shaving stick.
...enougth to give me that warm fuzzy feeling :), but not the freezer-full that a guy over at B&B has. I stocked-up at the begining of the pandemic; ...not having enougth toilet rolls did not bother me...wheras not having enougth Tabac did!

donnie_arko

Forum GOD!
...enougth to give me that warm fuzzy feeling :), but not the freezer-full that a guy over at B&B has. I stocked-up at the begining of the pandemic; ...not having enougth toilet rolls did not bother me...wheras not having enougth Tabac did!
Ah good to hear. I'm trying to decide what number will give me the same fuzzy feeling.

That guy on B&B was seen as a mad man, now he's seen as a prophet.

I love German Tallow shaving sticks. On the days I want a no fuss shave, a shave stick like the classics (Palmolive, Tabac etc) and a boar brush is a superb combination, finish it with either Benjamins Bay Rum, Superdrug Forest Fresh or Brut.

I've never been that bothered by artisan shaving soaps, the landscape without the German classics will be all the worse for someone like me. I like these humble classics, and I am sad to seem them slowly going one by one.

Time to hoard I guess!

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
Ah good to hear. I'm trying to decide what number will give me the same fuzzy feeling.

That guy on B&B was seen as a mad man, now he's seen as a prophet.

I love German Tallow shaving sticks. On the days I want a no fuss shave, a shave stick like the classics (Palmolive, Tabac etc) and a boar brush is a superb combination, finish it with either Benjamins Bay Rum, Superdrug Forest Fresh or Brut.

I've never been that bothered by artisan shaving soaps, the landscape without the German classics will be all the worse for someone like me. I like these humble classics, and I am sad to seem them slowly going one by one.

Time to hoard I guess!
...I share your fondness of German Tallow soaps...I ended up stocking-up on Arko, Palmolive, Tabac, Haslinger, WS, Cela and Vitos - all thankfully relatively inexpensive, or they were, when I purchased - they work great for me. I am of an age where Brutt 33, Pashana or the like, smell nuanced and subtle rather than overpowering so Tabac and Arko's scent are just fine. Thanfully, I suspect the Turks will not be getting rid of Arko, but who knows, but the rest have either gone or there continued production is not assured...

bagman

Coffee drinker
Staff member
Don’t laugh at my small? stash

I think I have 4 Tabac sticks, a bowl and refill plus 4 Spiek sticks. 1 WS stick plus a half dozen or so Palmolive ones.

Come on own up to your hording