Stationery matters

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
Depends on if she prefers a fine or medium point. I prefer gel pens like the .5mm Pilot Precise.

For a gift I have purchased a LAMY Vista roller ball. There are other models.

In my vintage Parker Jotter pens I use a .5mm OHTO gel refill.
 

Vacumatic

Testy
Unsure where to post this. I want to get a nice pen for my wife for her birthday, not a fountain pen
Just a normal pen for writing.

Any recommendations? I was looking at the Fisher Space Pen.
The Fisher Space Pen has many fans. Mine has the chrome finish and can be slippery, also the refills are quite expensive. I can imagine that the technology may appeal to more men than women and it is surprising how many people say that they never use any sort of pen.

Not sure that there is a bad choice in available ballpoints, it is whatever catches your eye.

You may want to look at the Parker range

 
Last edited:

slapo

It's... alive!
Unsure where to post this. I want to get a nice pen for my wife for her birthday, not a fountain pen
Just a normal pen for writing.

Any recommendations? I was looking at the Fisher Space Pen.
I mostly use inexpensive pens or fountain pen ink filled rollerball, nib or felt tip pens.
However, one thing to consider regardless of the type, for me, are the ergonomics and refill availability.

If the Space Pen would be ergonomically pleasant for the wife, then I think refills should remain available, given how long they've been around for.

When I was considering a higher end pen (while keeping to under £100), I found the Kaweco Sport aluminium pens to be interesting. They make brass ones as well, but I'd thought aluminium ones would be lighter and still plenty durable.

I reckon having a Space Pen would be cool even for non-nerds, though. :D
 

purerockfury

..........
Unsure where to post this. I want to get a nice pen for my wife for her birthday, not a fountain pen
Just a normal pen for writing.

Any recommendations? I was looking at the Fisher Space Pen.
roller balls we've tried and liked... Retro 51... fun somewhat themed pens... different color cartridges and they show you how to refill the carts with fountain pen ink if you want... Caran d'Ache... several choices ranging in design and price including color customisable pen bodies... Montegreppa...
 

Masamune

Forum GOD!
Does anyone use vintage Pelikan pens? Thinking about getting a 400/N/NN. Would have bought one today but they didn't have any BB or OBBs at the pen show. The nibs are super similar when I tested OB, B and M. Very smooth but fairly narrow nibs.

400 n nn.png


400 - 400N - 400NN

I need thick juicy lines as I'll use it for both drawing and writing.
 

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
The Fisher Space Pen has many fans. Mine has the chrome finish and can be slippery, also the refills are quite expensive. I can imagine that the technology may appeal to more men than women and it is surprising how many people say that they never use any sort of pen.

Not sure that there is a bad choice in available ballpoints, it is whatever catches your eye.

You may want to look at the Parker range

I have a Space pen, what with many other pens and also these days not needing to write much a refil lasts long enough. Nice pens but they prompt a lot of fidgeting with that side button.
 
Last edited:

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Does anyone use vintage Pelikan pens? Thinking about getting a 400/N/NN. Would have bought one today but they didn't have any BB or OBBs at the pen show. The nibs are super similar when I tested OB, B and M. Very smooth but fairly narrow nibs.

View attachment 183875

400 - 400N - 400NN

I need thick juicy lines as I'll use it for both drawing and writing.
I have the top one in Fountain pen, nice pens.
 

Smiffy

Forum GOD!
Believe it’s just a bog standard medium, it’s a good few years old now.
I think the Medium nib suits 90% of UK writers, Fine nibs were more popular in the US where people printed as opposed to writing in cursive.

If you have a special need for a pen you may want to consider two pens, even something as basic as a £4 Pilot V pen and a modern Pelikan Broad, the two widths will help you achieve a depth of field and allow more distant objects to recede.

True Broad nibbed pens are not easy to find at reasonable prices, they are popular here with the cognoscenti but would stay on the shelves in China and Japan.
 

Zorro

Forum GOD!
I am not a pen enthusiast, as such, but i found a love for the Pentel EnerGels a few years back and use the 0.7 mediums for everyday, but do really like the 0.5 fine tipped for sketching things.

As an aside, i spent some years in the late 90's working in the Retail Ops side of IT (ICL / Fujitsu) and one of the contracts i was involved in was W. H. Smith. Back then each store had a good range of pens, nibs, inks and writing paper.

They would happily order in anything special that customers needed, which is how i was educated to the existence of such things as left-handed nibs.

How times have changed.
 

Masamune

Forum GOD!
The vintage Pelikans nibs have more character than the moderns. Not sure they even sell BB or oblique nibs any more.

Looking for the variation a flexible vintage nib will provide. I also use dip and brush pens.
 

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
Everyone who knows FP's knows Esterbrook provided many nib options. The 2556 was and is a popular but not uncommon nib for the vintage enthusiast. Thing is, mine do not perform the same. I am using one today in a mid '30 Esterbrook "Dollar Pen" made from hard black rubber (HBC) as it is known. Today's nib is a fine point with good ink flow rendering a smooth writing experience.
 
Top