Sharpness vs Keenness as Described by an Old Solingen Grinder

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
With all respect due, what's the point of belaboring this? That's no "newsflash". Said same in the [now-deleted, b/c pointless] video from January [which had 1300 views @ deletion] & in threads' posts nobody bothers reading b/c "TL;DR"

My landlord (sexagenarian native who doesn't know straight razor tangs from screwdriver bases but translated free) said it reads as Shakespeare would to a native English speaker today (thus open to interpretation), but came to the same conclusions that the book was saying to use two curved & the last dead flat was a no-brainer b/c the bevel (landlord said "edge", but doesn't know this shaving stuff, I believe meaning is whole bevel) will be so thin that use of flat last's worth the guarantee to apex the edge (bevel), and that only those three professions' practitioners bothered using rounded ones throughout b/c of that approach's difficulty.

Nobody cares! It's been discussed ad nauseum. Many forums. Always taken well. So either people reading it place value in some dusty old textbook for the profession with broken language, and/or what mfgrs say of their own wares, and/or what one stupid retailer says a mfgr said/says, or not. What really happens is they're just turned off from the hobby as a whole from the petty arguing, more than anything.

I believe you don't understand the tireless/unpaid dedication of those against it any more than us Americans (or anyone else coming in there) understands the tireless/non-monetary dedication of the Taliban/Afghan populace...I firmly believe (as I have since a teenager) all of 1/Afghanistan can gang up at those borders and try to come in there and change things and they'll lose, eventually, even if it takes 20/200 years. The same thing's going to happen here; they who hate what you're writing are not going anywhere and are not going to tolerate any outsiders, period, they'll die on that hill, and they mean business. Fall back, there's other theoretical concept hills to die upon to choose from that are more worthwhile.

For the sake of how this affects my family and all for something *I* was the one dumb enough in the first place to revive in the born-to-the-internet-era straightrazordom (against the extreme advice of the French, who - accurately - predicted it'd blow up in my face as they talked down the mindset of their largest buying segment), I'd appreciate it if you dropped it, everywhere. It just gets more unwanted attention as below's thumbnail (which I can't prove without police/postal inspector intervention but firmly believe is 100% b/c this topic & paid for/initiated by posters writing here & in all other threads). I'm finally getting a great non-shaving-related job, and then can finally not give one single whit about how razors are honed by anyone including our customers & let the tiny business segment of EU razors perish as it was going to in any case (my personal over/under is by 2030 there are only 1-person-productions of this object as new remaining in EU) as a nice 'side hustle'. For me, the 'hill to die on' was always only about $ / fighting as provider for dependents, but at last I can say with reasonable certainty that Earth will offer me other ways.

Just please, let them have their final many words (sure to come), and move on. Don't respond. If you've ever felt I was treated unfairly in all of this, just try to think about it if you were in my shoes, & how your continued discussion/belaboring's angering those particular unmentionables. It does not help me.

happy shaving

View attachment 100521

View attachment 100522
That sort of broke my heart to read. So many thoughts and perhaps wrong on all, but we each make a decision on how to live and think. A book I read once talked about a good man as one who would rather die right than live wrong.

I’m sure there are many here who have family, small children, and as many challenges as you. I doubt anyone hear would want you to fail.

There is a saying, “well, well, well, if it isn’t the consequences of my own actions” . Perhaps something someone, somewhere should/might/ought to consider.

DaltonGang

Forum GOD!
With all respect due, what's the point of belaboring this? That's no "newsflash". Said same in the [now-deleted, b/c pointless] video from January [which had 1300 views @ deletion] & in threads' posts nobody bothers reading b/c "TL;DR"

My landlord (sexagenarian native who doesn't know straight razor tangs from screwdriver bases but translated free) said it reads as Shakespeare would to a native English speaker today (thus open to interpretation), but came to the same conclusions that the book was saying to use two curved & the last dead flat was a no-brainer b/c the bevel (landlord said "edge", but doesn't know this shaving stuff, I believe meaning is whole bevel) will be so thin that use of flat last's worth the guarantee to apex the edge (bevel), and that only those three professions' practitioners bothered using rounded ones throughout b/c of that approach's difficulty.

Nobody cares! It's been discussed ad nauseum. Many forums. Always taken well. So either people reading it place value in some dusty old textbook for the profession with broken language, and/or what mfgrs say of their own wares, and/or what one stupid retailer says a mfgr said/says, or not. What really happens is they're just turned off from the hobby as a whole from the petty arguing, more than anything.

I believe you don't understand the tireless/unpaid dedication of those against it any more than us Americans (or anyone else coming in there) understands the tireless/non-monetary dedication of the Taliban/Afghan populace...I firmly believe (as I have since a teenager) all of 1/Afghanistan can gang up at those borders and try to come in there and change things and they'll lose, eventually, even if it takes 20/200 years. The same thing's going to happen here; they who hate what you're writing are not going anywhere and are not going to tolerate any outsiders, period, they'll die on that hill, and they mean business. Fall back, there's other theoretical concept hills to die upon to choose from that are more worthwhile.

For the sake of how this affects my family and all for something *I* was the one dumb enough in the first place to revive in the born-to-the-internet-era straightrazordom (against the extreme advice of the French, who - accurately - predicted it'd blow up in my face as they talked down the mindset of their largest buying segment), I'd appreciate it if you dropped it, everywhere. It just gets more unwanted attention as below's thumbnail (which I can't prove without police/postal inspector intervention but firmly believe is 100% b/c this topic & paid for/initiated by posters writing here & in all other threads). I'm finally getting a great non-shaving-related job, and then can finally not give one single whit about how razors are honed by anyone including our customers & let the tiny business segment of EU razors perish as it was going to in any case (my personal over/under is by 2030 there are only 1-person-productions of this object as new remaining in EU) as a nice 'side hustle'. For me, the 'hill to die on' was always only about $ / fighting as provider for dependents, but at last I can say with reasonable certainty that Earth will offer me other ways.

Just please, let them have their final many words (sure to come), and move on. Don't respond. If you've ever felt I was treated unfairly in all of this, just try to think about it if you were in my shoes, & how your continued discussion/belaboring's angering those particular unmentionables. It does not help me.

happy shaving

View attachment 100521

View attachment 100522

Nice toy. Is that what you are selling now?? It looks like you might get more use out of that black wiggly one, than the Convex Hones you try to peddle. All in fun. Enjoy your new wiggly hobby, Jarrod. :eek:. Oh, in case you were confused about the bottom photo, that is called a hone. Probably a very flat one. If needed, we could assist you with instructions on how to use one.

Last edited:

Steve56

Forum GOD!
Thank you for taking the time to post. I’m now curious if they tended to use from middle toward the point when shaving others?

I tend to use as much of the surface as I can. There are places around the mouth and chin that I’ve even used two hands for better ATG control.
Well I was going through the image gallery looking for something else and found an image with that pattern on a whetstone. I had forgotten that I even had it. This image is from a Japanese auction on Yahoo Japan.

DCAE684D-18FF-4DDD-A719-57FC81062072.jpeg