No Buy 2018

halvor

a most elusive fish
A fairly cheap January with no grooming-related purchases which meant that I put away almost 70% of my salary into pensions, investments, savings etc.

I’m also aiming for a frugal February by making other savings - tinned soup or leftover dinner for lunch... that sort of thing.
70% of the salary to be done with as one sees fit, put away or spent like a drunken sailor; those were the days. I imagine that means 30% for household expenses etc. Over here the two figures are flipped. Then again, our food budget is hardly on the frugal side...
 

Jacobite

Forum GOD!
They say that it takes 3 weeks to break a habit, or to make a new habit, or to acclimate oneself to a new place or a new position in the workplace, etc. I think a similar thing is happening with me in regard to purchasing shaving supplies. We're almost 7 weeks into this moratorium and I'm finding that it is becoming much less a struggle than I envisioned before I began. The habit that I needed to break was not actually making purchases- no, clicking on "Buy" was not the habit I needed to break. It was much earlier in the process. I needed to stop looking at sites selling these items. I'd see something in a SOTD photo or I'd read someone's answer to an online query about a product and I'd soon be on ebay or Amazon or the Connaught or Italian Barber sites to "investigate." At that point it was too late. I was already a goner. So in essence, the habit that I have broken is not purchasing, but rather it has been to avoid visiting online shops.

Think of it this way- if a man hangs around the barber shop all the time, eventually he's going to get his hair cut.
 

AlexNoodles

Forum GOD!
nothing bought, and quite frankly, not even looking either.
Noticed I am almost out of Truefitt & HIll No. 10, thought 2 secs about a new one then sobriety kicked in. Onto the next cream. If I keep this no buying poop up, in about 4 years I will have gone through my stash, LOL!

(@Nishy, you prolly have enough for a lifetime, 7 boxes??? AMIGAWD!)
 

pimple8

Forum GOD!
They say that it takes 3 weeks to break a habit, or to make a new habit, or to acclimate oneself to a new place or a new position in the workplace, etc. I think a similar thing is happening with me in regard to purchasing shaving supplies. We're almost 7 weeks into this moratorium and I'm finding that it is becoming much less a struggle than I envisioned before I began. The habit that I needed to break was not actually making purchases- no, clicking on "Buy" was not the habit I needed to break. It was much earlier in the process. I needed to stop looking at sites selling these items. I'd see something in a SOTD photo or I'd read someone's answer to an online query about a product and I'd soon be on ebay or Amazon or the Connaught or Italian Barber sites to "investigate." At that point it was too late. I was already a goner. So in essence, the habit that I have broken is not purchasing, but rather it has been to avoid visiting online shops.

Think of it this way- if a man hangs around the barber shop all the time, eventually he's going to get his hair cut.
You want to say - if you visit shaving forums every day, you'll buy something :)


Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
 

Thug

Let's talk about 6, Baby.
nothing bought, and quite frankly, not even looking either.
Noticed I am almost out of Truefitt & HIll No. 10, thought 2 secs about a new one then sobriety kicked in. Onto the next cream. If I keep this no buying poop up, in about 4 years I will have gone through my stash, LOL!

(@Nishy, you prolly have enough for a lifetime, 7 boxes??? AMIGAWD!)
I worked out recently that my current soap stash should last 4 years.
 

pimple8

Forum GOD!
I worked out recently that my current soap stash should last 4 years.
Could you tell me what method you were using. How many shaves per soap/grams was your equation? Just want to see where am I on that scale :)

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
 

Thug

Let's talk about 6, Baby.
Could you tell me what method you were using. How many shaves per soap/grams was your equation? Just want to see where am I on that scale :)

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Pretty much an estimation in terms of soap used per shave and what remains in each tub but essentially...

I generally shave 6 days a week and estimate that I use 3gr of soap per shave (face lather & only 2 passes) = 18gr
29 soaps and estimate that each container has on average 125gr
Works out to 3 625gr divided by 18gr = 201 weeks
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
Epic fail today guys. I saw some Wolfpac Italian Orchard soap on sale at Shaving Station. Never tried Wolfpac and with it being a citrus I caved to get the free postage I added some Wickhams Magnum Glycerin face soap too. My no buy is offically over.
 
Top