No Buy 2018

Jacobite

Forum GOD!
That "THUD!" you just heard was me. My favourite cologne is a 1960s-90s number called Kanøn. Until 10 years ago I could still find it but it became harder and harder to find, and now it is often seen selling for $100USD or more the bottle on ebay. I essentially resigned myself to the idea that I was never going to get it again, but I'd still check ebay at least once a month to see if perchance a cheap bottle slipped past. There is a cheap reformulation selling on ebay for $15-$20, but the real vintage stuff is much more expensive. Well, an hour ago, I was driving home from a meeting at a university in rural Ohio and I had some time so I stopped in a village for coffee, after which I walked around and into an antique shop where I found 2 unopened 180ml bottles of Kanøn (cologne strength) for $10 each!

I still have no intention of making purchases this year. But if I had passed this by I would have regretted it for the rest of my life. It is as fresh as can be. I am thrilled.

Oh... i'm sorry that I broke my no purchase pledge, Father. It won't happen again. Honest.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
That "THUD!" you just heard was me. My favourite cologne is a 1960s-90s number called Kanøn. Until 10 years ago I could still find it but it became harder and harder to find, and now it is often seen selling for $100USD or more the bottle on ebay. I essentially resigned myself to the idea that I was never going to get it again, but I'd still check ebay at least once a month to see if perchance a cheap bottle slipped past. There is a cheap reformulation selling on ebay for $15-$20, but the real vintage stuff is much more expensive. Well, an hour ago, I was driving home from a meeting at a university in rural Ohio and I had some time so I stopped in a village for coffee, after which I walked around and into an antique shop where I found 2 unopened 180ml bottles of Kanøn (cologne strength) for $10 each!

I still have no intention of making purchases this year. But if I had passed this by I would have regretted it for the rest of my life. It is as fresh as can be. I am thrilled.

Oh... i'm sorry that I broke my no purchase pledge, Father. It won't happen again. Honest.
Nice find!

Jacobite

Forum GOD!
Nice find!
Thanks. My wife will roll her eyes and shake her head and say "Well, you lasted longer than I thought you would." . She is a great lass but she just doesn't get this little thing of ours.

Last year she complained a few times about the number of parcels arriving at the door; my pointing out that they amounted to a few hundred dollars a year total did little to stop her comments, so I started leaving literature on the new Triumph Bonneville motorcycle around the house with my notes scribbled in the margins. I then called a salesman at a Triumph dealership and we worked out a custom bike. I asked him to run the figures past his gaffer and ring me later, and to leave a message if I wasn't there. He rang, I didn't answer, but when my wife got home she played the message back and was floored that I was considering a rather expensive item like a new Triumph. I never had any intention of buying one, but I agreed to compromise by not buying one if she would be a bit more accepting with regard to my little parcel addiction.

"We're getting rid of the television, dear. We can sit and look at the Triumph together."

triumph.jpg

Last edited:

p.b

Forum GOD!
Last year she complained a few times about the number of parcels arriving at the door; my pointing out that they amounted to a few hundred dollars a year total did little to stop her comments, so I started leaving literature on the new Triumph Bonneville motorcycle around the house with my notes scribbled in the margins. I then called a salesman at a Triumph dealership and we worked out a custom bike. I asked him to run the figures past his gaffer and ring me later, and to leave a message if I wasn't there. He rang, I didn't answer, but when my wife got home she played the message back and was floored that I was considering a rather expensive item like a new Triumph. I never had any intention of buying one, but I agreed to compromise by not buying one if she would be a bit more accepting with regard to my little parcel addiction.
:notworthy: must find the phone number of the Naim stockist, or maybe really up the ante and call the Porsche dealer...

Jacobite

Forum GOD!
:notworthy: must find the phone number of the Naim stockist, or maybe really up the ante and call the Porsche dealer...
There are many tricks like this. I've looked into fishing expeditions at Great Slave Lake or Lake Athabasca in northwest Canada, or month long trips to visit Orthodox monasteries in the deserts of Egypt and Syria. The secret is always to think of places, activities, or purchases in which she has no interest.

Of course, I'm kidding. My wife and I get on great, and apart from the Triumph jape (which really happened as I described) I'm not all that manipulative. But that's the way a man's gotta think from time to time.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
There are many tricks like this. I've looked into fishing expeditions at Great Slave Lake or Lake Athabasca in northwest Canada, or month long trips to visit Orthodox monasteries in the deserts of Egypt and Syria. The secret is always to think of places, activities, or purchases in which she has no interest.

Of course, I'm kidding. My wife and I get on great, and apart from the Triumph jape (which really happened as I described) I'm not all that manipulative. But that's the way a man's gotta think from time to time.
Yes the old realisation trick as I call it. I often work it the other way round; how much can I save. Trick here is solely to look at your own outgoings not hers. Then buy in a load of stuff that takes her to the "edge" just before the eruption, explain the reasoning (slight hyperbole here). I bought a multi gym, table tennis table, cross trainer and rowing machine. I was incredibly close to buying a hot tub too. Just as the crippling look was developing from corner of mouth to right eye I said this cost my x and I stopped the gym which cost y. So after 8 months it's paid for itself. As that frown turns upside down the next two lines are crucial and have to be timed to perfection. Firstly give her the savings over a couple of years, then put on the table what you will be missing (in my case a swimming pool) this will entitle you to purchases to comfort your grief :)

Ha! It worked for me, but to be honest I don't think she really cares anymore. She just doesn't want me talking about shaving constantly. Especially when I mess up, such as mentioning it to the carpet guy who suffered from full alopecia and had stubble tattooed on his face and head. Quite embarrassing.

Strangely I've realised this year that I was spending more and achieving very little, what I already own is more than enough to provide the best shaves a man can get.

Shaver X

Forum GOD!
The only things I will be buying are consumables, and even then only when I run out - in 2018 or ever. Two razors, two brushes, a scuttle and a mug, I already have twice what I need. Why buy things that I already have? It won't make my shaves any better, they are already excellent. Sometimes less is more.

Shaver X

Forum GOD!
All you guys with spousal spending caps, there is a (usually) easy solution: Buy a little something for her when you buy shaving gear for yourself. From what I have seen, the objection is to spending a lot of money on you (singular) instead of you (plural). Including some nice, luxurious bath soaps, lotions, bath bombs, etc. for her should do the trick. No more smoke coming out her ears and laser beams shooting out her eyes when one package too many arrives on the doorstep. An added bonus is that you don't have to open the package, she will do that for you to get her surprise gifts. That is probably why some men's wetshaving retailers carry items marketed to women.