No Buy 2018

MrK1

Forum GOD!
Sales have added circa £190 to my PayPal balance since the turn of the year but I’ve not been tempted to spend. I may ask for a bottle of perfume (something French) for my birthday in June but that’s all I need in terms of grooming items for 2018.

I’ve actually been using the same razor, brush, aftershave and a tiny rotation of one Palmolive stick and two soap samples since the start of February - hence no SOTDs and very little activity.
I have rediscovered the Palmolive stick as well.

Even though I have a few high end soaps, I still find myself reaching for the Palmolive most times.
 

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
I have a few razors that I kept for 'future' investments that I am no longer sure about being worth it. Blackbird and some others etc, might have to bin them off...
I don’t think there are many razors out there that will appreciate in value over time anyway. As the only places I sell are here and TSR, I would not feel uncomfortable with asking for high prices for big ticket items anyway, since I’ve always tried to price at ‘mate’s rates’.
I have rediscovered the Palmolive stick as well.

Even though I have a few high end soaps, I still find myself reaching for the Palmolive most times.
I’m being forced into asceticism by circumstance rather than choice. We’re in the middle of a horrendously protracted house purchase so the good stuff is in storage while I use the forgotten-until-now odds-and-ends found at the backs of various cupboards. That goes for the razor (old Ever-Ready) and brush (cheap synthetic) too.

But it’s been good to have a reset. In use, I actually prefer the Palmolive stick to the Ejsberg cream sample I’m running. For 49p, it’s quality, but the foil and flimsy plastic holder piss me off... but not enough to grate it. I’ve got nearly 20 sticks of the stuff bought during my 2013-14 hoarding stage!
 

MrK1

Forum GOD!
I don’t think there are many razors out there that will appreciate in value over time anyway. As the only places I sell are here and TSR, I would not feel uncomfortable with asking for high prices for big ticket items anyway, since I’ve always tried to price at ‘mate’s rates’.
I’m being forced into asceticism by circumstance rather than choice. We’re in the middle of a horrendously protracted house purchase so the good stuff is in storage while I use the forgotten-until-now odds-and-ends found at the backs of various cupboards. That goes for the razor (old Ever-Ready) and brush (cheap synthetic) too.

But it’s been good to have a reset. In use, I actually prefer the Palmolive stick to the Ejsberg cream sample I’m running. For 49p, it’s quality, but the foil and flimsy plastic holder piss me off... but not enough to grate it. I’ve got nearly 20 sticks of the stuff bought during my 2013-14 hoarding stage!
If you don't want to grate it, do what I do - put it in a sandwich bag and leave it warming on a raditor for a bit.

It starts to soften and you can press it into a tub.

Just don't leave it for too long on the radiator.
 
Last edited:

Mrchick

Handsome Avatar
I’ve lived here for two months and finally had the time to hit an antiques store. I saw this double coffin in the back of a case and had them pull it out to find these two beauties inside.
I’m not familiar with the maker, but they look to be nice blades. I’m assuming the one on the left has been regrouped. The one on the right is a wedge. The look like they will clean up nicely.

I couldn’t pass them up. Good luck guys.
 

Nick_S

Forum GOD!
So, it's been a while since I updated my purchase status in this thread. Whilst I have purchased shaving related items, they haven't been for me :D I've got the father in law on to DE shaving, so have acquired him an Edwin Jagger DE89, TOBS luxury gift pack of Sandalwood cream and a pure badger brush, a pot of P&B Spitfire and a selection of blades to try.

If he doesn't like them, well, there is a willing home here for them :D
 
Top