I won’t argue against Manchurian being a marketing thing (possibly), and agree that the shaping and density makes a difference, but to say that there is no difference between hairs, I can’t let stand. IMO there’s a “vast” difference, in thickness, tips, and treatment. The only problem is that you never quite know what you’ll get, be that from a cheap Chinese or an expensive Brit. Or do you have some insider knowledge that makes what I just said BS?Absolutely I'll bother. Badger hair is badger hair Sir. There is no magical Manchurian badger that only certain manufacturers can have access to. The hair is the same only the shaping and how stuffed the knot is makes the difference. I love my Maseto knots and nothing comes close for the price. That said I have a good few now and may let some go when the new ones land.
I couldn’t agree with your disagreement more!Couldn’t disagree more!![]()

Nope. There are differences between hairs. You needn’t look further than at our own species. Thick and thin hair isn’t only about the density and number of them on our heads, but also about shaft thickness. This varies between people, but also as a matter of fact between phases in life for one and the same individual, affected by hormones, in turn affected by age, diet, stress, etc. As another example, more questionable perhaps, we like to think that mutton from sheep grazing by the seaside has another quality than that of inland sheep. Point being, yes, there are differences!In my opinion Halvor and only my opinion a Badger is a wild animal. They aren’t farmed like Mink, they are either dug out of their sets and bludgeoned to death or gassed or whatever method the Chinese employ to kill the animals, so in my view only mother nature has any control in what comes from a pelt. Badgers don’t bathe in fancy lotions and conditioners so what you get from a Badger is Badger hair. After that it’s down to treatment, bleaching and how the hair is formed into the knot. Variations such as hair density, loft and shape will affect how the knot behaves in a brush but surely hair is hair or is what I’ve just said BS mate ?
I've got to say (and I'm careful with what I say here as I have no clue where different manufacturers source their hair), but I've got a Romera Manchurian and many other brushes, from Shavemac to Maesto and the Romera Manchurian hair really does feel and look different to all other knots. So much so I bought a separate knot to be put into a handle of my making when I finally get around to deciding what handle to put it in! It'll have to be a special one.Anyone who doesn’t believe in Manchurian hair hasn’t tried an early Romera one..
Whether that be from a particular Badger or down to treatment I don’t know or particularly care
My sentiments exactly Dr Watson !Lets see what Nick comes up with... Hopefully he shortens the lofts a little View attachment 26356
Couldn't agree more, James.I found exactly the same issue to.In my experience it can actually vary year to year, for example I found Simpsons best grade from 3+ years ago to be very nearly silvertip soft and yet 2016/2017 production Simpsons brushes that I've had have been closer to pure grade... Whether this is down to the hair coming from stressed/hormonal badgers or an inferior grade is being used I do not know...