If you could go back in time what would you change?

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
I’ve loved my wetshaving journey and I do think there’s a point to be made about it being a journey and not just a destination, but I think I’d go back and really spend a lot less money. I’ve spent thousands on this hobby and enjoyed it but after Dad passed it made me realise how much better off I’d be with that money spent on bills and other essential life stuff.

I’d still spend some as wet shaving is with me for life, but definitely I’d like to go back and enjoy a few essentials rather than spend a few years searching and chasing the latest hype thing.
 

Stircrazy

Forum GOD!
I'd get these:
- one good conventional razor with open comb and good efficiency, e.g. R41
- some good handles for the R41 or other, like titanium. Nothing heavier than 70g, preferably around 50g.
- some good blades like Nacet, GSB
- one GEM razor and Personna GEM blades. My choice - Micromatic Clog-Pruf
- a couple of synthetic brushes from Yaqi. My choice Sagrada Familia 24mm and a Tuxedo 26mm.
- about 10 European soaps (nothing from USA except Grooming Dept.). Fitjar, SV, Boellis, Pannacrema, Klar, Barbus Classic

As you can see, this selection is a long way from what you usually see recommended. Took me a while to get rid of stuff I bought on the recommendation of various websites and threads. Like a lot of disappointing or downright dreadful US soaps, several Gillette legacy razors which were very nice as objects but not in the same ballpark as the R41, 3 Timeless razors which were inferior to the R41, and a lot of boar and badger brushes which were fun but at the end of the day weren't as good as my favourite Sagrada Familia.
+1 on the R41, really get on well with it, despite the so called horror stories.
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
With the benefit of hindsight I'd avoid the money I spent on straight razors and kit for them. I never got to grips with straights and was always wary of using them, don't get me wrong, every shave was like boarding a massive rollercoaster and they are really fickle until you get the hang of it, I didn't.
Apart from that I'd do it all again. I've loved it.
 

Tyke121

Forum GOD!
I wouldn't sell a lot of what I sold ,Now finding I'm buying it back ,Old Gillettes been a favourite
 

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I’ve been shaving for 55 years and I wouldn’t change anything I’ve done. I derive a great deal of pleasure from trying various creams, soaps, brushes, razors, blades, and aftershaves and pre-shaves whilst experimenting with my technique. Although I know what I like and what works best for me, I still like to change things around periodically: variety is the spice of life.
 
Top