If you could go back in time what would you change?

HereticHermit

Forum GOD!
I have enjoyed my journey this far. But I would like to change the fact that I invested so much in US artisan soaps. That's lot of money for 4oz soft goop. But that doesn't diminish the value of few but high quality articles. I am trying to reduce my shaving gear to a levels where I don't feel guilty just looking at the hoard I seem to have collected.
 

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
Be logical in my purchases. My early desire to have a razor in each of the metals (titanium, copper, etc) was logical.
 

Steve

Boomer Member
I have enjoyed my journey this far. But I would like to change the fact that I invested so much in US artisan soaps. That's lot of money for 4oz soft goop. But that doesn't diminish the value of few but high quality articles. I am trying to reduce my shaving gear to a levels where I don't feel guilty just looking at the hoard I seem to have collected.
Every one of us looks at their hoard of soaps at one point (usually within a year of starting the journey), and wonders how the hell they're going to get through them, and how they're ever going to be able to rate them.
 

Ventastic

Forum GOD!
I have enjoyed my journey this far. But I would like to change the fact that I invested so much in US artisan soaps. That's lot of money for 4oz soft goop. But that doesn't diminish the value of few but high quality articles. I am trying to reduce my shaving gear to a levels where I don't feel guilty just looking at the hoard I seem to have collected.
On the topic of den reduction, just this moment I was looking at my 3 year old son and wondering if his beard will be suited to one of the many razors I have acquired. Probably there will be some new method of hair removal by the time he comes of age.
 

Steve

Boomer Member
On the topic of den reduction, just this moment I was looking at my 3 year old son and wondering if his beard will be suited to one of the many razors I have acquired. Probably there will be some new method of hair removal by the time he comes of age.
Something incorporating a laser, perhaps?
 

HereticHermit

Forum GOD!
Every one of us looks at their hoard of soaps at one point (usually within a year of starting the journey), and wonders how the hell they're going to get through them, and how they're ever going to be able to rate them.
Not just within a year!!
I started shaving journey way back and I thought I was prudent but it is my online foray that has caused me grief. Before that my shaving gear was rather spartan. Two boars and a cheap nylon bristle brush, one no name 3 peice Parker razor from 80s that just worked and different creams for change of pace. Then thanks to internet I discovered MWF and Tabac and they served me very well for about 12-13 years. After my Parker kicked the bucket I hit the eviloogle for 'research' and discovered shaving forums.
Just few months in and it slid quickly. Call it power of suggestion or peer pressure or combination of both; each time I logged off I felt the 'quality' quotient of my shaves kept going down which spurred me to spend more on the latest and the best hardware and software. Galvanized by my understanding of sub par shaves I amassed artisan soaps like no tomorrow and was seriously mulling about 250+ razors when it hit me that most of people like to praise their acquisitions. Use of exclamations hide the subtle disappointment and feeling that they have been had by advertisements.
I stopped buying more soaps and current 50 were far too rich to look at. I don't mind spending but no more 'made from prehistoric woolly mammoth fat' soaps for me.
I checked my razor acquisitions and stopped at Karve with different plates to try so I can sell off whatever I do not want. (For some reason even Karve is not up there with no name Parker) But I am hesitant to move till unforeseeable future unless some good soul philanthropist offer me a razors on loan for a test drive.
As a consumable, getting through soaps is not difficult. I have started putting basic kits for friends who want to try DE shaving and soaps are great conversation starters because so early on I don't want them to get bogged down with "and then you hold the razor at precisely 27 degrees angle and slide it down as in Gillette slide while using the pressure of a mouse fart".
I am striving to reach nirvana with 2 razors and 10 soaps at maximum. Surplus soaps will be culled and survivors will be stoutly thrashed by big boars.
 

Steve

Boomer Member
Not just within a year!!
I started shaving journey way back and I thought I was prudent but it is my online foray that has caused me grief. Before that my shaving gear was rather spartan. Two boars and a cheap nylon bristle brush, one no name 3 peice Parker razor from 80s that just worked and different creams for change of pace. Then thanks to internet I discovered MWF and Tabac and they served me very well for about 12-13 years. After my Parker kicked the bucket I hit the eviloogle for 'research' and discovered shaving forums.
Just few months in and it slid quickly. Call it power of suggestion or peer pressure or combination of both; each time I logged off I felt the 'quality' quotient of my shaves kept going down which spurred me to spend more on the latest and the best hardware and software. Galvanized by my understanding of sub par shaves I amassed artisan soaps like no tomorrow and was seriously mulling about 250+ razors when it hit me that most of people like to praise their acquisitions. Use of exclamations hide the subtle disappointment and feeling that they have been had by advertisements.
I stopped buying more soaps and current 50 were far too rich to look at. I don't mind spending but no more 'made from prehistoric woolly mammoth fat' soaps for me.
I checked my razor acquisitions and stopped at Karve with different plates to try so I can sell off whatever I do not want. (For some reason even Karve is not up there with no name Parker) But I am hesitant to move till unforeseeable future unless some good soul philanthropist offer me a razors on loan for a test drive.
As a consumable, getting through soaps is not difficult. I have started putting basic kits for friends who want to try DE shaving and soaps are great conversation starters because so early on I don't want them to get bogged down with "and then you hold the razor at precisely 27 degrees angle and slide it down as in Gillette slide while using the pressure of a mouse fart".
I am striving to reach nirvana with 2 razors and 10 soaps at maximum. Surplus soaps will be culled and survivors will be stoutly thrashed by big boars.
When you can get down to less than 6 razors, and maybe 6 soaps, then you have arrived. Nirvana awaits. Your Master's thesis on the psychology of the power of suggestion should bring you academic accolades. :notworthy:
 

Ventastic

Forum GOD!
Not just within a year!!
I started shaving journey way back and I thought I was prudent but it is my online foray that has caused me grief. Before that my shaving gear was rather spartan. Two boars and a cheap nylon bristle brush, one no name 3 peice Parker razor from 80s that just worked and different creams for change of pace. Then thanks to internet I discovered MWF and Tabac and they served me very well for about 12-13 years. After my Parker kicked the bucket I hit the eviloogle for 'research' and discovered shaving forums.
Just few months in and it slid quickly. Call it power of suggestion or peer pressure or combination of both; each time I logged off I felt the 'quality' quotient of my shaves kept going down which spurred me to spend more on the latest and the best hardware and software. Galvanized by my understanding of sub par shaves I amassed artisan soaps like no tomorrow and was seriously mulling about 250+ razors when it hit me that most of people like to praise their acquisitions. Use of exclamations hide the subtle disappointment and feeling that they have been had by advertisements.
I stopped buying more soaps and current 50 were far too rich to look at. I don't mind spending but no more 'made from prehistoric woolly mammoth fat' soaps for me.
I checked my razor acquisitions and stopped at Karve with different plates to try so I can sell off whatever I do not want. (For some reason even Karve is not up there with no name Parker) But I am hesitant to move till unforeseeable future unless some good soul philanthropist offer me a razors on loan for a test drive.
As a consumable, getting through soaps is not difficult. I have started putting basic kits for friends who want to try DE shaving and soaps are great conversation starters because so early on I don't want them to get bogged down with "and then you hold the razor at precisely 27 degrees angle and slide it down as in Gillette slide while using the pressure of a mouse fart".
I am striving to reach nirvana with 2 razors and 10 soaps at maximum. Surplus soaps will be culled and survivors will be stoutly thrashed by big boars.
And this from a man who claims not to be proficient in the english language. Bravo!
 

HereticHermit

Forum GOD!
And this from a man who claims not to be proficient in the english language. Bravo!
I try, I try.
To be honest ever since the mobile phones acquired the ability to suggest T9 and full dictionary word replacement I still get emails and SMS from people usng shrt txt cuz they cnt b bothrd 2 typ. That just gets my goat. To me investing a bit of time in writing/typing is a way of addressing people with civility and respect.
 

Russo

Forum GOD!
If I could go back I would not sell some of my straight razors I have sold. Due to guilty feeling of having too much. 🥺
 
Top