How critical of your shaves are you

N0ggie

Forum GOD!
Nice topic!
I am critical in that if I choose to have the 5 o'clock shadow that day then I will go for the dfs type, even if it's maybe for the reason to have something decent to mow down the day after.
If I'm goin' dolphin then it's got to be dolphin & nothing else but will do, but not at the expense of getting any irritation. I know when to call it done.
Guess I am very critical now you come to mention it.
 
Last edited:

Tonyschin

Pogonotomist
For me it depends on the on the shave type,
Some razors be it SE, DE or Shavette I expect a BBS finish from 3 passes max, saying that it does not bother me if I feel a little roughness at the end (no-one gets that close that I have not known for 30yr or so to mention :peekaboo:). When I use a Vintage, Str8 or one of my Wedge "safety" razors the plan changes, for me its about the history & ritual, if I get a BBS finish its a bonus.
Its just as well we are all different 😌
Stay safe all.
T
 

chazt

shave
I never do more than two passes. Tbh, my first pass is a combo wtg and xtg. The second pass is atg on my cheeks, chin and jaw; xtg everywhere else. 9 out of 10 shaves are bbs on cheeks, chin and jaw; DFS everywhere else.
Tomorrow’s another day :hotdrink:
 

fancontroller

Forum GOD!
I do a 3-pass shave on average 6.6 times a week (based on my 2020 stats) and I suppose I'm very critical as I give myself a score in my shaving spreadsheet.
This score is almost always 9/10 (10/10 reserved for exceptional results) because after years of practice you tend to get pretty uniform results with familiar shaving hardware/software.
I aim for a BBS but am not bothered if I don't get there. I like the feel of a smooth face and enjoy the shaving experience as a daily hobby.
When I miss a day I feel grubby, itchy and find myself getting irritated rubbing my stubble.
 

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
The older I get the less I shave. Twice a week is max for me now. Normally once so I spend time on it and being a bit OCD always get critical after the 3rd pass and will buff to BBS even though that is not necessary and not the aim when I start.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
I appreciate that is an average but it dreads me to think of shaving 6/7 days a week, EVERY week!! That would turn this hobby into a chore for me.
For me shaving is not a hobby or a chore and have shaved daily all my life unless I'm ill. I just don't feel right and unkept if I am not clean shaven on a daily basis. I am actually surprised at the number of people who don't shave on a daily basis.

Bob
 

fancontroller

Forum GOD!
I appreciate that is an average but it dreads me to think of shaving 6/7 days a week, EVERY week!! That would turn this hobby into a chore for me.
Personally, it's not a chore if it's enjoyable and is time to not think of anything else but shaving (and listening to podcasts/music).
I realise that not everyone has the time available (or wants to) for a proper shave daily but it's one of my luxuries.
I think it's keeping me sane, especially with all this lockdown malarkey.

For me shaving is not a hobby or a chore and have shaved daily all my life unless I'm ill. I just don't feel right and unkept if I am not clean shaven on a daily basis. I am actually surprised at the number of people who don't shave on a daily basis.

Bob
Agreed, for a shaving forum I am surprised how many don't do it more often considering the amount of money spent and time discussed. I guess we are a broad church and there are many reasons for different shaving schedules.
 

Steve

Boomer Member
For me shaving is not a hobby or a chore and have shaved daily all my life unless I'm ill. I just don't feel right and unkept if I am not clean shaven on a daily basis. I am actually surprised at the number of people who don't shave on a daily basis.

Bob
The most I can do is every other day. There just isn't anything to take off the next day after a near-BBS the day before. It only irritates my face.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
The most I can do is every other day. There just isn't anything to take off the next day after a near-BBS the day before. It only irritates my face.
Yes, everyone is different. I suspect the rate at which whiskers come back varies for that reason. I do a 4 pass shave daily and do not suffer irritation so skin sensitivity also may come into play too.

Bob
 

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
Regardless of how quickly my whiskers grow I shave every day. If I don’t I feel grubby and unkempt. Call me obsessive, but I notice when men around me appear not to have shaved. I have fair hair and fair skin, but I can still feel stubble in the morning compelling me to shave, but, importantly, I don’t find it a chore, as I love how I feel after shaving: clean and invigorated, ready for the day. It’s all very Pavlovian.:cool:
 

Charcoal

Soothsayer of the Obscure
I miss a day about once a month. So as an every day shaver I do try for perfection. With 2.5 passes I do well. I find myself funny when I come across a spot with some scruff left. I don’t get mad but do like to overreact when others are near. If I nick myself I’ll schedule an appointment with my daughter (she’s the go to doctor in the house) to help me get through the emotional trauma.

All kidding aside
I’m happy with the results being almost perfect.

As far as irritation I don’t get much. Over a year ago I tried shaving two times in the same day. It went fine and now I know I can. I haven’t since. I consider myself very fortunate with whisker and skin type.
 

vartik

Head shaver
Is was critical in the begining, but with sensitive skin, the more critical I was, the worse my skin felt and look. It took me quite some time to realize this and chasing BBS is not my thing anymore. I dont even shave ATG during winter most of the time and my skin can not be happier (by the look of it :D).
 
Top