Homelike Start DE Razor

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Decided to do a side by side shave with one of the other adjustables that the Taiga shares a slight resemblance with, the Rex Ambassador. I’ll make this one quick as I’m pressed a bit for time as I’m picking up some family & friends that are flying in for the Thanksgiving festivities this week.

Yww05xk.jpg

Decided to install 2 new fresh blades to keep it even and used two (2) Shark Platinum blades. Showered, prepped, got my lather on with the wonderful scent from the Wickham 1912 Russian leather and proceeded with a very nice and comfortable 3 pass shave. The 3rd pass was more for buffing and very light clean ups as the stubble hadn’t grown back as quick from last nights wonderful shave with the HomelikeShaving Taiga. I settles on the 3 with the Rex as that’s about good for me when I have light stubble and dropped the Taiga down from 6 to 4. During the 3 pass shave it was quite evident that the Rex exhibited more blade feel and a bit more efficient feeling shave on it’s setting compared to the Taiga as it wasn’t far behind but, it was noticeable. The Rex felt a bit more direct on my skin while still having a very nice smooth feeling on each stroke and pass. I actually brought the Taiga from 4 to 5 and it kind of brought it closer to the Rex on 3 in terms of cutting efficiency. The Taiga was still throughout the whole shave the smoother and actually softer feeling razor on my skin and hung in with the Rex stroke for stroke once I made the adjustment on the dial. Both left my face clean and smooth with not a single nic, cut or irritation to speak of.

Both gave a very good shave that was north of a DFS and just a smidge under a BBS. I couldn’t chase the Baby as I’m waiting for the slight cut to heal from last nights shave. It’s obvious though that the Rex Ambassador shows a bit more cutting prowess in it’s settings as compared to the Taiga. Though it gave me the same quality finish as the Rex, I had to go a bit higher to get the desired cutting feel and efficiency that I was getting with the Rex. One thing I do give the Taiga is the inherent smoothness that it exhibits in it’s range. The feel on the skin is very soft and feels as though it has ball bearings on the straight bar. I’m not saying that the Rex wasn’t smooth because it was very smooth but, somehow I just get a softer feeling touch with the Taiga over the Rex. I liked them both immensely here but, I think I give the nod to the Rex just on that it can go lower and still show excellent cutting ability while still maintaining good smoothness in the lower ranges. The Taiga just felt a tad mild on it’s mid setting and needed a small boost to get into Rex cutting territory. The feel in hand was both excellent from both but, again I give the slight edge ever so slightly to the Rex as the knurling is a bit more “aggressive” and just feels so good in my hands. Maybe I’m just used to holding the Rex since I’ve got so many more shaves over the Taiga. Perhaps once I get my hands on one and put the time in, my opinion can change on the overall feel of the Taiga’s handle. On balance they both felt almost identical but, I actually liked the way the Taiga felt in hand. Though it’s the slightly heavier razor, it’s slightly longer length actually gives it better balance and a bit more control in my experience. The Rex felt compact and to my hands a bit top heavy. Still highly maneuverable and comfy to use but, I just feel slightly more comfortable with the Taiga. Still, this Taiga is a prototype and the final rendering can change the whole game in its favor. For now though, the Rex nudges ahead by a notch or two in overall shave performance.

I took a couple more pics of the Taiga and Rex and the Taiga completely disassembled. The Rex takes much more time to get it apart and get it back together so I didn’t bother with it. As you can see, it only has 7 components that make up the Taiga. Disassembly is quick and easy and putting it all together is just easy. I love the simplicity in it’s design....

sXFptGM.jpg

2bHHGd3.jpg

U9s1rM9.jpg

8tJUUc4.jpg

On a side note. Fiddling around with the adjuster dial and handle stop on the Taiga and an idea from the gentleman that sent me the razor, the Taiga can actually go to about a 10 setting on the dial for that extra bit of blade gap and aggression. Will be amping it up in the next day or two and give it a go matched up with the razor it was literally designed after. The Gibbs 15/17 Adjustable. Should be interesting.....

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Last nights shave with the Taiga & the Gibbs Reglable No17.

Oh-Oh-Oooohhh!!! This was a heck of a shave! First, the combatants were the upstart Taiga against the Unoficial King of the Adjustables and the pride of France, the Gibbs Rasoir Reglable No17. And this Gents was a true razor scrap. I want to mention that as I had stated in my previous post about the Taiga, I managed to get a bit more of adjustment that allowed me to open up the Taiga a bit more and nearly get to an unoficial 10 setting on it. Thanks to CK89 for the idea and just a bit of fiddling with it to get it to those settings. And let me tell you, did it pay off BIG TIME! That extra bit of adjustment really transformed the Taiga into one formidable whisker whacker without really loosing much in smoothness. I grabbed again 2 fresh blades, ASTRA SP’s and installed one in each razor and got down and dirty!

AD4EF475-0B65-4DCD-B46E-E45D9FEACFA7.jpeg

I waisted no time in turning both of these razors to their max settings and putting them to my face. I was going to perform a 3 pass shave regardless of how the 2 first passes went as I just wanted to get a good feel with both on blade feel and inherent smoothness with these two in conjunction with each ones shave prowess. The Gibbs went first and on max it is just a truly graceful yet superbly efficient razor that knocks down whiskers with ease and an understated tenacity. It’s pedigree shows through from the very first stroke as the blade engages the hairs with a smoother than smooth cutting action. Glorious first pass I have to admit with Monsieur Gibbs. Went right to the Taiga and even though it looked to my eye that it had a bit more gap spacing and blade reveal, I figured this young gun was going to be out matched and out razored against the Gibbs. Brought the Taiga to my face and Woo-Wee! That was some real nice blade feel, noticeably more than on the Gibbs. I completed a stroke and decided to just turn it down a bit so that I can get a similar feel to the Gibbs. So, down it went to about an 8 and I re-engaged the Taiga to the whiskers. Ooohh, soooo niiiicccee! A stroke in and I knew I had it dialed in nearly dead on and matched to the Gibbs. Cleared the face and brought it down to the neck. What smoothness yet excellent cutting feel did the Taiga exhibit. I was blown away on how close in feel and shave it was to the Gibbs. Phenomenal first pass by the Taiga and honestly excellent passes by the both of them. The 2nd and 3rd passes were identical to each other in terms of smoothness, cutting efficiency and the comfort that both of these razors exhibited. I was nearly BBS on both sides with these razors and went with the 3rd pass to see if I could catch any stragglers. I want to mention that I kept both razors at the same exact settings through all 3 passes. They both cut so smoothly and efficiently that my skin still felt comfortable with both of these razors set at their higher ends of the performance spectrum. Just an excellent shave and not a single issue to speak of with no weepers, cuts or irritation. Just a very slight tingle from the alum pass on both jawlines but, to me that’s more than acceptable. Everywhere else was as clean as a whistle.

I am more than pleasantly surprised that the Taiga stayed with the Gibbs during every facet of the shave. Though I have a fair amount of shaves with my Gibbs and know it well, I’m more impressed that the Taiga actually gave me the same confidence and reassurance as the Gibbs does but with less shaves. The Gibbs is in my eyes The Standard on how a well designed adjustable should perform. Smoothness with superb efficiency is a very hard combo to achieve and the Gibbs does it like no other. The only thing lacking in the Gibbs arsenal that would have made it perfect is balance from the head to the bottom of the short plastic handle, it’s Achilles heal. It’s just a bit top heavy and some just prefer that it had a bit longer handle, myself included. The Taiga gives you a very well balanced razor from head to toe. You feel no top heaviness or biased weight towards the handle. Plus, I believe the handle is just about right in terms of length and tactile feel. And it definitely beats the Gibbs in construction. One shave is not going to dethrone no razor, especially the revered Gibbs. The Taiga though on its first shave compares very favorably against the iconic French razor. This young gun may have something to say about who’s the best adjustable in the near future. It all depends on the final rendering of the production model and what tweaks will be made, if any to get this razor closer to perfection. I know I’ll be on that list to acquire one and continue this razor match up. Watch out Frenchie, the Russian Bear is coming....

8D4693E4-1A25-4BE6-8F08-0234056B136D.jpeg

6F6EFD81-FA9E-4386-AACE-0302D4C98105.jpeg

ABF58575-1CD7-4274-9332-A18F37CCAE8A.jpeg

HomeLikeShaving

Greetings

Another info post about Taiga razor and some photos from the factory.

In the future Taiga made several major alterations.
Balance.
In the experimental version, the balance point was 22 mm from the head. In serial, it was possible to shift the balance point to 18 mm from the head.
GAP.
GAP - the experimental sample was 0.69 - 1.5 if you look at the START. A serial will be 0.5 - 1.5 at the START.
From the start of sales, an additional custom handle from titanium will be available.
Minor improvements so far we will not talk about them now.

Photo
START

Taiga

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
First, I hope all had a good Turkey Day yesterday (US) with family & friends. Good eats, a bit of good vino together with those we love and care about is what it’s all about for Thanksgiving. There’s always plenty to be thankful for. Worldwide as well to all my wet shaving Bro-hams abroad, Salud... :cheers:

Anyways, I wanted to get one more shave in before getting the Taiga all cleaned, sanitized and prepped for the next participant Shavemd. I will notify parties involved once the razor is dropped of at the US Pony Express hopefully today or the latest tomorrow morning.

I put up another shave off with the Taiga & the Rex Ambassador to be honest. Why? Well, since I got the Taiga to be a bit more efficient with opening up it’s dial adjustment, I just had to give it another go against the Rex as curiosity and the need to know just kept eating at me. So, I loaded up 2 once used blades (Astra SP's) into the Taiga & Rex and got into my morning shave mode.

8AE81A75-6EC8-4072-A21F-1A337541A9CA.jpeg

As usual, it was a three pass affair that was in the works and neither disappointed when it came to leaving my face clean and smooth without a single incident. I had them both ramped up to their max settings as I did with the Gibbs vs Taiga shave and there were some pretty good differences between the two. On the first pass it was obvious that blade feel was paramount but, the key thing was that the Taiga exhibited a much smoother feel on the face over the Rex. It was also quite evident during this pass and the subsequent two other passes that the Rex has more blade feel on the face (while riding slightly towards the cap on both razors). Though it did not feel overly intimidating, it did feel more “bitey” or more susceptible to getting one in trouble if not paying attention. It also requires just a touch more of angle adjustment to get it to smooth out and feel comfy during the shave. And it does feel comfortable once your there, just a bit more work to get it there and maintain it. The opposite is true for the Taiga in that during this shave and the previous one versus the Gibbs, it maintains a really smooth feel and kind of makes you feel that you can get away with a bit less concentration or effort in maintaining that good balance in cutting and comfort during each pass. It shares those same characteristics with the Gibbs No17 throughout it’s whole range. Of course it doesn’t feel like it’s on the 1 setting for every size you go up but, the razor exposure or reveal in my opinion neither increases nor decreases giving it a neutral feeling throughout its range. The Rex doesn’t exhibit this trait through its size ranges but, rather makes the user adjust ever so slightly the angle of attack to maintain an equal equilibrium or compromise if you will in cutting prowess and smoothness/comfort. Basically the Taiga requires less work a la Gibbs Adjustable as compared to the Rex. It’s just easier to use versus the Rex and the Rex is easy, no small feat by the Taiga. They both gave a superb shave this morning without leaving any patches or stragglers behind and left me with little to no clean up work. Just around Sir Adam and I used the Taiga to finish it off. Wonderful shave to be honest. This second shave also confirmed another thing for me concerning the Taiga. It is just so well balanced in my hands. The length of the handle is spot on, there is no head heaviness with the razor or handle heavy dominant. In the hands it feels good with good knurling but, not quite as good as the Rex’s handle. The Rex’s handle is just about perfect in what it offers in tactile feel. The knurling is just plain superb. I’ve read posts on forums where users say that the knurling on the handle is overly aggressive feeling and is uncomfortable. How? I really have no idea but, as they say different strokes for different folks....

So, in conclusion of the HomelikeShaving Taiga Adjustable all I can say is that I’m supremely impressed with it’s performance against a pair of arguably the best made adjustables, one vintage that is no longer made and the modern Rex that is modeled a bit after the vintage Gibbs Adjustable. The Taiga held it’s own against the Standard of all adjustables, the Gibbs and it performed equally as good as the Rex in cutting tenacity while being a smoother and more comfortable shaver in the process. Homelikeshaving with this prototype has got a serious contender for the title of adjustable razor champ and arguably raising the thought of perhaps being the best performing safety razor in the DE world. Yeah, that’s how good this razor is.

I can’t wait to get my hands on the production version with the OC plate option and really take it to town against some of the best razors the market has to offer. A big thank you to CK89 & Homelikeshaving for providing this great prototype of the Taiga for me and a few others to sample.

Shavemd

I did this comparison of the Taiga vs Toggle as part of a pass around on another forum and thought I would post it here too.
I am a daily shaver so this morning with 24 hours of growth I put the Taiga against my replated Rhodium F4 Toggle.
Pre- Shave Hot Shower
Soap - M&M Naid
After shave - M&M Naid splash and balm
Blade - First use Polsilver
Brush DG B7 in a Lutin handle
Bowl CC copper bowl
A few notes on the Taiga, the finish is excellent, the knurling is very good on the handle, not quite as rough as a Rex but still very good grip. The adjustment dial turns continuously and easily but not too loose as to move it while shaving. The razor is well balanced and the balance point is at the top of the knurling just under the adjustment dial. I know this is a prototype but I would like to see the marking for the adjustment on the side of the adjustment dial, it currently is on the top collar and is not as easy to see for me. Now onto the shave.

WTG I dialed both razors to their max opening. The Taiga is heavier than the Toggle but still easy to handle and maneuver. There is more blade feel with the Toggle and the Toggle is a Tinnier note on the audio feedback, while the Taiga has minimal blade feel and a more soft muted audio feedback. Both razors were very smooth and took down about 90% of my growth

XTG I kept both razors at max setting and the Taiga truly felt like there was no blade in it, I stopped and checked my angle several times to reassure myself I was getting a shave. This feeling was similar to what I experienced with the lower Gap Wolfman WR2’s. The Toggle when about its business without any issues. Rinse and feel, both sides needed a little touchup especially on my neck near the Adam’s Apple and around my jawline and upper lip.

ATG I decided to keep both razors fully opened up for this pass but normally I would dial my adjustable down to about the half way mark and I probably should have as a I gave myself a coup,e of wheelers on each side near the Adam’s Apple. The Taiga was very smooth and had a little more blade feel than on the previous 2 passes and the Toggle again had more blade feel but still very smooth.

The Taiga, like the Start has a very smooth minimal blade feel approach. I will continue to use it for the rest of the week before I get it shipped out to @"keto" . I really enjoyed the first shave, but I do find myself asking if there could be a little more efficiency. I will see how the rest of the week goes.

Thank you to @"Homelikeshaving" and to @CK89 for arranging this pass around.
A69810F3-5C77-484F-B50B-60FB65071536.jpeg
D92417A2-EA41-4CD3-A008-ACBFCA38F212.jpeg

Shavemd

This is what I have posted on another forum where we are doing a pass around with the Taiga.
Today I couldn’t resist and had to pair the Taiga against the Rex Ambassador. Both razors get their roots from the Gibbs. I have had a Rex since the initial release, my current one is a 2019 release and is a very nice razor for me up to about level 4, much higher and it gets a little rough for me. So in today’s shave I set both razors at level 4 and I must say after yesterday’s shave I have less to shave then normal.
Pre-Shave - Hot shower
Blades - Polsilver 2nd use
Brush. Elite razor Stone w/ HMW knot
Soap - Sebum Green
After shave - Sebum Purple
I did a side by side WTG, XTG and touchup for a BBS shave. The Taiga was smoother with less blade feel than the Rex. The knurling on the Rex is hard to beat but the Taiga still had excellent grip. Both razors were very maneuverable and gave an excellent result. I preferred the smoothness of the Taiga over the Rex, but if you are a blade feel kind of guy the Taiga has very little especially on the XTG pass. I’m fine with that as smoothness is my number one priority and the Taiga delivers it.
C7B2F0AA-BA6A-4B83-B330-1F4348029328.jpeg

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
This is what I have posted on another forum where we are doing a pass around with the Taiga.
Today I couldn’t resist and had to pair the Taiga against the Rex Ambassador. Both razors get their roots from the Gibbs. I have had a Rex since the initial release, my current one is a 2019 release and is a very nice razor for me up to about level 4, much higher and it gets a little rough for me. So in today’s shave I set both razors at level 4 and I must say after yesterday’s shave I have less to shave then normal.
Pre-Shave - Hot shower
Blades - Polsilver 2nd use
Brush. Elite razor Stone w/ HMW knot
Soap - Sebum Green
After shave - Sebum Purple
I did a side by side WTG, XTG and touchup for a BBS shave. The Taiga was smoother with less blade feel than the Rex. The knurling on the Rex is hard to beat but the Taiga still had excellent grip. Both razors were very maneuverable and gave an excellent result. I preferred the smoothness of the Taiga over the Rex, but if you are a blade feel kind of guy the Taiga has very little especially on the XTG pass. I’m fine with that as smoothness is my number one priority and the Taiga delivers it.
View attachment 59190
Great write ups my friend.... :okay:

Shavemd

Today I decided to just shave with the Taiga and try to appreciate the quality of shave I could get
Pre-Shave - Hot Shower
Blade - First use (palm stropped) Feather
Soap - Captain's Choice Venture
AfterShave - CC Venture
Brush - Elite razor Irish Bog Wood Brush Synthetic Knot
WTG - I dialed the adjustment up to what I would consider 9 the adjuster goes to 6 but I was able to go beyond that to about 3 without loosening the handle. This gave a very smooth, with good audio feedback first pass shave. Blade feeling was minimal, even with the feather blade. rinsed and gave a good feel around, about 90% beard reduction and I would be at a Clean, Comfortable shave.
ATG - I decided to go right to ATG with my second pass and I left the setting at 9, being cautious that I got a few wheepers last time probably because it is so smooth and I may have used a little pressure. There was some blade feel but very smooth and this razor is very maneuverable. Very uneventful second pass, rinse, and except for a troublesome spot under my jawline I was BBS, touched up those 2 spots with a couple buffing strokes and I had a very enjoyable shave.
The Taiga, like the Start, gives a very smooth shave. the Taiga let me dial up the efficiency well beyond where the 1.18 plate is, but still retained its smoothness. I really enjoy this razor and will be ordering one when they are released.
A042A9E0-B533-421E-9BE4-87111C3161C1.jpeg

Shavemd

DC49C803-B57A-4096-9C77-E1A025EEA35B.jpeg
04A1886B-C064-4C5B-9749-446770E3650A.jpeg

So for my last shave with the Taiga I put it side by side with the FatBoy, a razor I think a lot of people can compare it too.
Pre-Shave - Hot Shower
Blades - 2nd use Feathers
Soap - Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
Brush - Elite Razor Ironwood Synthetic
Aftershave - C & S Oxford & Cambridge
From my experience with my Fatboy I do a 3 pass shave on 7WTG & XTG then 4 ATG so I set the Taiga on 4.
The Taiga was smoother in both passé WTG and XTG and once again only required a few touchup spots for buffing. The Fatboy had a little more blade feel and a much louder and tinnier audio feedback, it required a full 3 pass shave to equal the results of the Taiga. Weight was noticeably a big difference between the 2 razors but both were well balanced and very maneuverable. I need to throw out Kudos to Captain Murphy and Chris for the wonderful job they did on my Fatboy it is like a brand new razor.