Homelike Start DE Razor

SeanC

Forum GOD!
I've had my .90 SB in use since last Thursday, although I had a bit of a false start due to a one-off poor lather (own fault for rushing) and a couple of mad days where I only had time to use a cartridge (safer than rushing I suppose). I tested the razor using DG YPR (Milksteak base) and Lainess Miele which are both top tier soaps and a top tier blade to match as well - NOS New Wilkinson Sword blade (made in England from the early 1970's)

To cut to the chase, I like this razor. Perfect daily driver territory for me - 2 passes at a relaxed pace plus touch-ups being my regular regime which gives me DFS/BBS on a 50/50 ratio. Although I have fairly fast growing facial hair, it's not particular tough in nature.

Build quality to me is right on point and the finish for me is good for the price; marginally better than a GC .84. No issues with the handle grip either. Efficiency I would say is broadly on par with the .84 GC too, increased blade gap being neutralised to a degree by the more neutral blade exposure. I find the razor equally as smooth as the GC .84 (and Karve C/D too), although a little bit of attention needs to be paid to the angle which is wide for the purpose of cutting, but a little bit narrower if smoothness needs to be maintained.

In summary: definitely a keeper and very good overall VFM at c£71 including postage

IMG_20191104_232420.jpg

SeanC

Forum GOD!
SOTD 20191105.

Prep (sample).
OUMO Brush / OUMO Brush imitation finest 2-band synth.
TDS "Cream: lavender wood-resinous" shaving soap.
Homelikeshaving "CTAPT" (START) 0.90 OC / custom handle.
Personna Platinum Chrome (6).
Rebul "Lavanda" EdC.
The razor head weights 41 grams (including blade), today with a stainless steel handle of 76 grams.
Balance is (much) better than with the titanium handle.
How did you find the soap Jan? I love the fragrance, but wanted to concentrate on mastering the razor with soaps I know before trying a new product.

Morecolor

Forum GOD!
My shaves are going very well with various blades in the 0.90. So far I have tried a feather,
voskhod and a treet Platinum. The treet was a big surprise in the overall performance. I just received some Gillette platinums which are up next. I couldn’t be more pleased with my purchase of the home razor.

SPR

Über Member
Well it arrived - the much anticipated Homelike Start razor kit ....

Loaded with a new Gillette Platinum and thought I'd best start with the 0.69 .... mild is an understatement and TBH I knew straight away it wasn't going to perform as well as the Karve "B" so I swopped for two passes to the 0.90.

Despite my fears that the 0.90 was going to be too much I found that it was very very smooth and the resulting shave was easily as close as the Karve but - dare I say it - slightly smoother. No irritation or nicks even using aftershave which I don't normally do.

I love the weight of the razor and the enclosed ends ... it did seem bigger to move around the face but suspect this will just be me being new to it.

I'll reserve judgement and see what tomorrow brings using the 0.90 for the whole shave

ajc347

Forum GOD!
Something of a delayed follow up to my last post.

I tried the razor for the final time last Friday evening when I compared the 0.90 OC baseplate against the Game Changer 0.84 OC and an ATT M2. I shaved with the OC when the razor first arrived and my second shave confirmed the efficiency and smoothness of the baseplate. It felt as smooth as the GC 0.84 OC and was noticeably more efficient. It was also smoother than the M2, however I found the M2 to be a tad more efficient.

I enjoyed my time with this razor and would like to thank @Kevy again for the loan. I thought, prior to razor arriving, that I'd get on best with the 0.90 and 0.69 SB plates as I tend to like milder razors. Surprisingly, I found that I got on with the 0.90 OC and 1.18 baseplates the best and these are the combination I'll be purchasing with a separate top cap. :)

slapo

Forum GOD!
Something of a delayed follow up to my last post.

I tried the razor for the final time last Friday evening when I compared the 0.90 OC baseplate against the Game Changer 0.84 OC and an ATT M2. I shaved with the OC when the razor first arrived and my second shave confirmed the efficiency and smoothness of the baseplate. It felt as smooth as the GC 0.84 OC and was noticeably more efficient. It was also smoother than the M2, however I found the M2 to be a tad more efficient.

I enjoyed my time with this razor and would like to thank @Kevy again for the loan. I thought, prior to razor arriving, that I'd get on best with the 0.90 and 0.69 SB plates as I tend to like milder razors. Surprisingly, I found that I got on with the 0.90 OC and 1.18 baseplates the best and these are the combination I'll be purchasing with a separate top cap. :)
Was it the 'standard' GC OC or its Jaws version?

Memhis

Legendary Member
After the train started - I was watching. This razor have everything which I look for - covered tabs, low profile, and in reviews it compared with Game Changer, which is one of my favorite razor. And don`t forget of excellent value/gain ratio.
After a chat with @HomeLikeShaving, who is a great guy to deal with, the order have been done.
Build quality is, for me, really good, better then GC, not mirror polish, but engraved writings is a nice touch.
Because I had a 72h growth, and skin was fresh, I have decided to go with biggest gap, 1.18, loaded with one of my favorite blade, Gillette Platinum. I will try out other plates during the week, when shaves will be more regular.
I have done an usual 3+correction pass, which leaves me BBS. Aftershave showed me the places where I rush, but I have feel that, immediately on the skin, during the shave. Keep in mind, that I avoid buffing, so "other" persons will probably do "my work" in 2+ passes. I was really surprised of how this razor is efficient, but delivering smoothness at the same time. It is a step up from GC for me, definitely. And from Timeless 0.95 Ti, as less concentration is needed, but I really like the sound indicator of it. The angle is quite wide and intuitive in any direction, I have enjoyed doing ATG on my neck, although a little concentration was needed. Blade feel was there, but it seems less pronounced that GC and general feeling was better. I can`t wait to become friends with 0.90 and 0.69, which I think that I will use the most, as this 1.18 will be too much for regular shaving for me.

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Went back to the CTAPT-START razor after a few shaves with the Charcoal Goods razor. Wanted to try the .69 gap plate since it’s the only one I haven’t sampled from the full kit. Decided to switch out the Gillette Platinums that I’ve been using with this razor and opted to use a Feather. Reason being as I’ve used this blade with a few other milder razors such as the Gamechanger .68 and the Mamba .70 with very good results. I figured that the START .69 would be just as mild as those and would benefit from one of the sharpest blades in the game.

Long story short, it was a 3 pass shave that was nearly devoid of any blade feel whatsoever. I mean, all I felt literally was the guard and an extremely smooth cutting action with very little audible feedback. It took me a couple of strokes to get the optimal cutting angle but, once there it was as smooth as smooth can get. The smoothest and most comfortable feeling razor in my den is the RR Mamba .70. And honestly, I think the START shaved just as smoothly as the Mamba and I dare say that the Mamba actually offers me a bit more blade feel. Might have to do a side by side with it to confirm. Anyways, the shave result with the START .69 was very good. No irritation, weepers or cuts of any kind. Was it a very close shave? No but, it was a very respectable finish that as a daily for those that don’t want an iota of blade feel, it fits the bill to a T. For those that want a bit of blade feel, this will be one that you might not reach for. It’s the mildest and quietest plate in the kit and quite possibly the mildest razor/plate combo I own. For those that want a smooth, comfortable, mild yet quietly efficient shaver a la RR Mamba .70 or Gamechanger .68, this one could be another option to think about. Truthfully, I won’t be reaching for this plate much at all unless I’m doing a quick touch up/refresh for an evening out with the Misses/family from shaving earlier in the day.

C1BBA6A7-F794-4AEA-B11F-CDA2D8282F44.jpeg