Homelike Start DE Razor

Shavemd

I received the .90 and 1.18 SB today and immediately loaded up the 1.18 with a Polsilver. Just the first shave but the smoothness was amazing more in line with a mild razor like Timeless .68 or Karve C plate but the efficiency was very surprising. 2 passes and my cheeks were BBS and a very smooth ATG pass on my jaw and neck left me BBS, I am still BBS 6 hours later. Need more time with this razor but first shave puts it in the Wolfman .94 and Paradigm V1 area.
A953EB04-3FC0-46BE-A833-AF7EDF4BABF3.jpeg

Jan Zoethout

Über Member
Yesterday I received a polished CTAPT cap and a polished CTAPT OC baseplate.
Today the maiden trip of this razor (head) in my SOTD:
SOTD 20191103.

Proraso pre-shave cream (white).
OUMO Brush / OUMO Brush imitation finest 2-band synth.
TDS "Cream: lavender wood-resinous" shaving soap.
Homelikeshaving "CTAPT" (START) 0.90 OC / Stork "Advoco" handle.
Personna Platinum Chrome (4).
DejaVu "Cool" ASL.
The CTAPT razor shaves comfortably and effective - about the same as the Game Changer 0.84 OC.
The razor head weights 41 grams (including blade), today with a stainless steel handle of 95 grams.
Tomorrow I will test this razor with a titanium handle for comparison.

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
As I stated in my previous shave, I was really looking forward to trying out the START with it’s largest gap base plate, the 1.18 SB version. Well, as an added bonus, a very kind and generous shave member contacted me and asked if I wanted to try out one of his coveted razors. A Charcoal Goods SS razor with both the Level 2 & Level 3 SB base plates and compare it with the START. I graciously accepted and I want to thank the Gentleman, CK89 for trusting me in using the CG for a comparison shave. Truly appreciate the kind gesture and is a true gentleman to deal with.

The shave was actually yesterday evening but, I had to attend a family event and was very short on time. So, I’m writing this with my cup of Java this morning and I’ll try to keep it short and sweet. First, the CG razor is an impeccably machined and finished razor. The attention to the fine details on the handle is just exquisite. Truly a work of functional art that takes a back seat to no one. Astounding craftsmanship here that is eye candy in both form and function. After I wiped the drool oozing out of the corner of my mouth, I got ready for the shave.

Both razors were equipped with the same blade that I’ve been using since I received the START. Yes, the wonderfully performing Gillette Platinums. I was debating which plate to start off with in the CG whether L2 or L3. I sent a few messages with the owner of the CG to get a number on gaps of the CG but, info on them is quite difficult to get concerning the sizes for each plate. He recommended the L3 since the START with its largest gap plate would probably be a fair shave off. I actually started with the L2 and I’m really glad I did that and I’ll explain later on. It was CG L2 SB vs START 1.18 SB. It’s on....

C37C62E5-C44B-4B57-839C-E46B87993E77.jpeg

The normal 3 pass shave affair was on the table and neither of these two disappointed. And the first thing I will tell you is this. From the first stroke, they are both excellent feeling razors with good blade feel and amazing cutting prowess. The CG L2 however, has a more direct feeling shave where I get just a bit more blade feel over the START 1.18. The shocker here is this, the START is actually smoother with just about almost as good a blade feel as the CG L2. It removed hair with as much efficiency as the CG but, it felt more comfortable to use. On the WTG pass they both knocked down 2 days growth with relative ease and comfort. On the 2nd ATG pass is where The START showed how smooth and yet efficient it is. I never felt as though it was ever going to bite or get fussy especially around Sir Adam, chin and jawline. I actually think that it offers a bit more of a window on adjusting cutting angle and blade feel over the .90 SB & .90 OC. I can’t reiterate enough on how smooth the START felt on my skin. The CG L2 is nearly there but, if felt a bit more blade forward and I had to pay a bit more attention during my passes with it. Not intimidating by any means or one needs zen like laser focus. It’s just a notch under the START in terms of smoothness and comfort. That being said, it’s a wonderful feeling razor that gets it done without a second thought. It’s a superb mid-aggressive feeling shaver that delivers on cue. Went onto my final pass which truly was just a buff and clean up pass. Cheeks and neck were identical in face smoothness and as I had done with the previous START shaves, I used it to clean up the tiny stragglers on Sir Adam. It just works amazingly well in that particular area for me. An astounding finisher that is easy on the skin yet deadly for remaining whiskers. A superb BBS once it was all said and done. A good cold water rinse and the alum pass proved fruitless as there was no sting to speak of nor any redness anywhere from top to bottom.

Both razors are tremendous performers and I am a bit surprised at the final outcome between these two. I truly figured that the CG L2 would come out ahead just on its pedigree alone as being a smooth and efficient shaver and that it is, without question. It’s just that the START is actually smoother and just as efficient in removing whiskers. It’s actually quite surprising that the makers of the START razor got their razor to perform so well from the get go. That’s saying something in this day and age.

Superb shave from both but, the START was my pic for last nights shave. Smooth, efficient and so comfortable to shave and handle. And truthfully I need to put some more time in with the CG and get a better feel for its attributes and what it brings to the table. I’ll get some more shaves in with the L2. Next up is the L3 plate and that is going to be a challenge as I know that is up there near Ikon Tech territory. Could be a tall order for the START but, we’ll see...

Last edited:

Shavemd

3 shaves in with the Start. 1.18 then .90 then 1.18 all SB. All shaves were extremely smooth and not much noticeable difference between the 2 plates in feel but the 1.18 is certainly a big step up in efficiency both in less strokes and duration of BBS. I would put the .90 in the range of my Ti Timeless .95 SB both in feel and efficiency, the 1.18 is a definite step up, more in the range of my CG level 3 vers2, Wolfman WR2 1.45 Ti for efficiency and smoothness. The workmanship is excellent but the finish is a step down compared to the ones I mentioned. I think I would like a little deeper knurling on the handle but it still is not slippery it reminds me of the Paradigm 17-4 handle.
D8B08B22-A503-4F1F-BB56-1633FD76B301.jpeg

Jan Zoethout

Über Member
SOTD 20191105.

Prep (sample).
OUMO Brush / OUMO Brush imitation finest 2-band synth.
TDS "Cream: lavender wood-resinous" shaving soap.
Homelikeshaving "CTAPT" (START) 0.90 OC / custom handle.
Personna Platinum Chrome (6).
Rebul "Lavanda" EdC.
The razor head weights 41 grams (including blade), today with a stainless steel handle of 76 grams.
Balance is (much) better than with the titanium handle.

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Got in an early morning shave today as I took off from work to accompany the Misses on a couple of errands plus get a few things at Home Depot for the home. Anyways, since it was bright and early I went with the same START with the 1.18 plate vs the CG L3 plate for this shave. Put in 2 fresh GP’s, grabbed the soap for the shave after a nice shower and went to work.

82927736-8138-42D2-A65C-1DE1456D23EF.jpeg

Long story short, the CG L3 is a Samurai that sticks to the code of BUSHIDO in every stroke. “LIFE IN EVERY BREATH” is what came to mind as I put the razor to my face and neck on every whisker decapitating stroke. I mean that in a good way. This thing lays whiskers out like the 47 Ronin did to their enemies to avenge their Masters death and restore their honor. Yet, Like fine Japanese Steel it did it with superb efficiency and surprisingly decent smoothness. A couple notches below the START 1.18 but, still very good on the skin. Requires a good touch and sound technique because one errant pass and you’ve got some weepers, nics or blood from cuts to worry about. With solid care, it’s a precision instrument that won’t ever fail in removing the whiskers and leaving ones mug as if chiseled out of pure granite. That being said, the START 1.18 gave me the exact same result on it’s side with a much smoother feeling shave that never left me to think I have to be careful here or there. The efficiency of the cut is ratcheted up on the CG L3 exponentially over the START and I achieved a complete BBS shave on the CG side in 2 glorious passes whilst the START needed 3 complete passes to get me there as well. Again, just to be fair here, I still used the START to clean up around Sir Adam’s area as it does it better than any razor I’ve tried to date. I could have most certainly done it with the CG but, why take a chance when you have something that can practically eliminate the “if I make a mistake here, it won’t be good” factor to nearly zero? It’s a no-brainer in my shaving book.

I can say with no doubt and certain impunity that the START razor in whatever base configuration is perhaps one of the easiest, most comfortable yet efficient feeling razor that I have come to experience in quite some time. The fit and tolerances are impeccable with a precision that is only matched by higher end razor artisan manufacturers (which also includes RR’s Gamechanger which is just astounding on how they can deliver a quality product for such a low price). I agree with Shavemd as it is not as nearly nicely finished as those artisan producers. Still, it’s a hell of a razor that delivers consistently great & comfortable shaves. In the end that’s what it’s all about Gents. Every shaver or should I say the far greater majority of shavers wants a great and comfortable shave in their daily regime.

Look at it this way. The complete kit was a total investment of $165 including shipping to the States. I ordered and received a complete razor kit with 4 differing base plates in 3 gap sizes, top cap and handle packaged in a very classy box with very good attention to packaging detail and care. To my surprise (a good surprise mind you) it delivered above and beyond my expectations. The company and owner is a pleasure to deal with and is willing to go the extra mile to get things right for the consumer. In baseball terms, they just didn’t hit a home-run, it was a Grand Salami (Slam) that cleared the bases. On their first go they stepped up to the plate and delivered. I’m not telling you gents to drop your razors during mid-shave and get yours now though, I’m pretty sure Homelikeshaving wouldn’t mind the ra-ra on my end to help sales, the proof is in the pudding. Look at all the reviews on this and other forums especially the YouTube reviews have been very, very positive across the board. We can’t be all in cahoots to promote this particular product. It just works, period.

In the end, would I tell you or others to go buy one? No. What I can say and tell you is that I would recommend it in a nano-second over any other razor that I have used or experienced, US made or not. Great price, great razor, enough said......

Happy Shaves Gents! :wink:

Last edited:

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
Got in an early morning shave today as I took off from work to accompany the Misses on a couple of errands plus get a few things at Home Depot for the home. Anyways, since it was bright and early I went with the same START with the 1.18 plate vs the CG L3 plate for this shave. Put in 2 fresh GP’s, grabbed the soap for the shave after a nice shower and went to work.

View attachment 57500

Long story short, the CG L3 is a Samurai that sticks to the code of BUSHIDO in every stroke. “LIFE IN EVERY BREATH” is what came to mind as I put the razor to my face and neck on every whisker decapitating stroke. I mean that in a good way. This thing lays whiskers out like the 47 Ronin did to their enemies to avenge their Masters death and restore their honor. Yet, Like fine Japanese Steel it did it with superb efficiency and surprisingly decent smoothness. A couple notches below the START 1.18 but, still very good on the skin. Requires a good touch and sound technique because one errant pass and you’ve got some weepers, nics or blood from cuts to worry about. With solid care, it’s a precision instrument that won’t ever fail in removing the whiskers and leaving ones mug as if chiseled out of pure granite. That being said, the START 1.18 gave me the exact same result on it’s side with a much smoother feeling shave that never left me to think I have to be careful here or there. The efficiency of the cut is ratcheted up on the CG L3 exponentially over the START and I achieved a complete BBS shave on the CG side in 2 glorious passes whilst the START needed 3 complete passes to get me there as well. Again, just to be fair here, I still used the START to clean up around Sir Adam’s area as it does it better than any razor I’ve tried to date. I could have most certainly done it with the CG but, why take a chance when you have something that can practically eliminate the “if I make a mistake here, it won’t be good” factor to nearly zero? It’s a no-brainer in my shaving book.

I can say with no doubt and certain impunity that the START razor in whatever base configuration is perhaps one of the easiest, most comfortable yet efficient feeling razor that I have come to experience in quite some time. The fit and tolerances are impeccable with a precision that is only matched by higher end razor artisan manufacturers (which also includes RR’s Gamechanger which is just astounding on how they can deliver a quality product for such a low price). I agree with Shavemd as it is not as nearly nicely finished as those artisan producers. Still, it’s a hell of a razor that delivers consistently great & comfortable shaves. In the end that’s what it’s all about Gents. Every shaver or should I say the far greater majority of shavers wants a great and comfortable shave in their daily regime.

Look at it this way. The complete kit was a total investment of $165 including shipping to the States. I ordered and received a complete razor kit with 4 differing base plate sizes, top cap and handle packaged in a very classy box with very good attention to packaging detail and care. To my surprise (a good surprise mind you) it delivered above and beyond my expectations. The company and owner is a pleasure to deal with and is willing to go the extra mile to get things right for the consumer. In baseball terms, they just didn’t hit a home-run, it was a Grand Salami (Slam) that cleared the bases. On their first go they stepped up to the plate and delivered. I’m not telling you gents to drop your razors during mid-shave and get yours now though, I’m pretty sure Homelikeshaving wouldn’t mind the ra-ra on my end to help sales, the proof is in the pudding. Look at all the reviews on this and other forums especially the YouTube reviews have been very, very positive across the board. We can’t be all in cahoots to promote this particular product. It just works, period.

In the end, would I tell you or others to go buy one? No. What I can say and tell you is that I would recommend it in a nano-second over any other razor that I have used or experienced, US made or not. Great price, great razor, enough said......

Happy Shaves Gents! :wink:
Praise indeed; thank you for posting a series of thorough, enjoyable, informative reviews. I was kind of hoping it would not be so good...oh well another one on the buy list! - thank you.

Shavemd

@Str8Mug great comparison. Is your CG Level 3 a version 1 or 2 as my version 2 SB is a little less threatening and smoother than the version 1 and just as efficient. I agree completely that the Start is a grand Slam and it has definitely knocked out a few razors from collection I will need to list, including, dare I say, a Wolfman.

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Praise indeed; thank you for posting a series of thorough, enjoyable, informative reviews. I was kind of hoping it would not be so good...oh well another one on the buy list! - thank you.
Glad that you found my unorthodox way of writing up my thoughts and experiences with shave tools informative and enjoyable. Trust me, I’m not trying to promote or tell anyone that you have to get on the bus and make it your own. But, I can honestly say that I would have no issue in recommending this kit to a newcomer or a seasoned veteran wet shaver (minus those that can’t shave with anything that doesn’t provide the blade feel and cutting prowess of a meat cleaver, which by the way there is a video on YouTube with a gent actually shaving with one) without second guessing it. Are there others that are perhaps more efficient? Absolutely as the CG L2 & L3 proved in my shaves. And there are others that are just as smooth if not smoother. The thing is that it incorporates both of these aforementioned attributes in a great overall package that is pretty hard to beat.

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
@Str8Mug great comparison. Is your CG Level 3 a version 1 or 2 as my version 2 SB is a little less threatening and smoother than the version 1 and just as efficient. I agree completely that the Start is a grand Slam and it has definitely knocked out a few razors from collection I will need to list, including, dare I say, a Wolfman.
I honestly can‘t tell you what gen. version the CG razor is. Since it’s on loan from a shave member, I’ve never asked and I’m not that knowledgeable on CG’s product line to be honest my friend. I’ll ask the gent that loaned it to me and have more info perhaps a bit later. A Wolfman? :eek: That’s saying something amigo. But, if you’re saying it that’s something that I don’t take lightly as you have tried/sampled just about every other high end razor in the game. Interesting indeed...

Optometrist

Forum GOD!
I honestly can‘t tell you what gen. version the CG razor is. Since it’s on loan from a shave member, I’ve never asked and I’m not that knowledgeable on CG’s product line to be honest my friend. I’ll ask the gent that loaned it to me and have more info perhaps a bit later. A Wolfman? :eek: That’s saying something amigo. But, if you’re saying it that’s something that I don’t take lightly as you have tried/sampled just about every other high end razor in the game. Interesting indeed...
Gus, the Gen 1 baseplates have a full length central slot on top.

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Gus, the Gen 1 baseplates have a full length central slot on top.
Both you Gents would know more than I would. So, I’m assuming this particular CG razor is NOT a Gen.1 version? Here are a couple of pics of both top and bottom side of the plate....

D304B7B6-08CB-46D6-A4AD-FA0D69E28D4F.jpeg

41B5B752-29C4-4710-A4A1-B7B8AB160C4B.jpeg