Has the BST had it?

MPH

Forum GOD!
So I guess the BST isn't just slow because people don't want to buy, but because people don't want to waste their time putting lower items on? Although I fully understand peoples opinion and time constraints I can't help but feel this is a shame for the beginners as I know all my first "expensive" soaps came off BSTs as I wouldn't dream of ordering them new to start with. Without peoples efforts I wouldn't be enjoying this hobby half as much as I do.

On the flip side I put a Mikes Soap for sale in the BST recently for £10 delivered (including fees) and I didn't even get a nibble. My return on this would have been practically nothing but I remember when this was a sought after soap so i thought someone might enjoy it...... Obviously not. Lol.

I guess the problem is that people have just stopped looking....
 

pearse85

Forum GOD!
To a complete newbie like me i have had to start from scratch, ive probably spent few hundred quid in my first few months on new soaps, razors, brushes etc the bst would have been ideal for me coming on but i see the problems with newbies and trust.
As im still testing the waters on what i like i wouldnt splash out on a £100 razor as yet so im looking at cheaper items, soaps, razors etc, and it seems people are reluctant to sell such items.
 

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
As I see it, one part of the story is that there’s been a proliferation of ‘new-and-improved’ products in the last few years which, after the hype wears through or a ‘even-newer-and-even-better’ reformulation/redesign, become yesterday’s news really very quickly. This means that there must be a lot of quite expensive yet out-of-favour products languishing in boxes around the place. I definitely have a box of stuff that I haven’t decided what to do with.

I also think that people are expecting higher ‘returns’ on BST than they used to. It’s now about recovering costs rather than passing along for a reasonable price. I benefited greatly in the early months and years from the kindness of more experienced users and from the ‘mates rates’ that they asked for. What goes around comes around, and I see it as a responsibility to give a helping hand now-and-then.

Thirdly, I don’t know whether ATG has the volume of newbies that is required to sustain the demand. I reckon most prospective members land on TSR, Facebook, even reddit, before happening on ATG. I have nothing to substantiate that assertion. Decreasing the postcount required for access privileges may be one way to improve that.
 

Dr Watson

James
I have lots of time for advertising low value items, far less tedious than reading yet another MWF or "which £300 razor should I buy" thread
sleep_1.gif.141171e622ad3ffb8aa5d2f229bd921a.gif
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
As I see it, one part of the story is that there’s been a proliferation of ‘new-and-improved’ products in the last few years which, after the hype wears through or a ‘even-newer-and-even-better’ reformulation/redesign, become yesterday’s news really very quickly. This means that there must be a lot of quite expensive yet out-of-favour products languishing in boxes around the place. I definitely have a box of stuff that I haven’t decided what to do with.

I also think that people are expecting higher ‘returns’ on BST than they used to. It’s now about recovering costs rather than passing along for a reasonable price. I benefited greatly in the early months and years from the kindness of more experienced users and from the ‘mates rates’ that they asked for. What goes around comes around, and I see it as a responsibility to give a helping hand now-and-then.

Thirdly, I don’t know whether ATG has the volume of newbies that is required to sustain the demand. I reckon most prospective members land on TSR, Facebook, even reddit, before happening on ATG. I have nothing to substantiate that assertion. Decreasing the postcount required for access privileges may be one way to improve that.
This is what has slowed and until recent stopped my spending spree. I've seen paradigm, charcoal, RAW, H&S etc all come and go, I didn't buy any. Fast forward to today and the Nodachi and Carbon have superseded the above for many members. If I had bought all the above I probably would be a few hundred out of pocket.
 

Northstonehill

Forum GOD!
A bulk of the buying power will come from the newbies to the 'sport' during that initial first year of big spending on the new hobby. Many of you veterans will be at the other end of this now having settled on your preferred equipment and just making the occasional purchase out of interest. I'm not sure what the right balance of input is before access but I currently have no access to BST despite being an active member for over a month and >100 messages. Easing restrictions on the ability to view posts and letting the seller decide on whether the sale is safe or not does seem like a good way to go.

For all I know there could be some poor soul in BST wanting to shift their unloved Vector for £25 and I'm unable to help them due to access!
+1. I am a seasoned wet shaver/vintage collector but newbie here. I am looking for very specific items (British Aristocrat sets) and I have no access :(
 
S

Steve Bowles

Guest
Has the BST section had it? I look virtually everyday to see what tempting items pop up, you never know what may appear but one thing is certain less and less items are selling, in fact it seems that less are selling than at any point I can remember. Unless you really are virtually giving something away it just is not shifting. Is this just happening here, or is it forum wide? I never go on TSR and hardly ever on other forums so do not know how theirs are doing but to me ours seems dead and buried.
TSR BST has two pages. Its got nothing.
 

Rev 579

Forum GOD!
+1. I am a seasoned wet shaver/vintage collector but newbie here. I am looking for very specific items (British Aristocrat sets) and I have no access :(
Don't let him buy anything, unless you allow me to first let you know whether he should be allowed to work through such a transaction.

Just kidding. It wold be nice if the BST was visible, but after a week and over 25 posts, I am curious when I might be visible. I am just as interested a reading through the archived BST threads as the current, active threads. I have way too many razors and don't know how long it'll take to make it to 100 posts. I am thankful for the wealth of information that is collected in these threads and posts.
 

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Don't let him buy anything, unless you allow me to first let you know whether he should be allowed to work through such a transaction.

Just kidding. It wold be nice if the BST was visible, but after a week and over 25 posts, I am curious when I might be visible. I am just as interested a reading through the archived BST threads as the current, active threads. I have way too many razors and don't know how long it'll take to make it to 100 posts. I am thankful for the wealth of information that is collected in these threads and posts.
The problem with visibility (it used to be visible!) is that scumbags, can browse and take advantage of our members. So it will stay hidden, visible only to "Full Members" if that means the "BST has had it," then so be it. Sorry Gents...
 
Top