-
Featured
- #781
That looks fantastic.
That looks fantastic.
Nicely done! Those two-piece handles take a little "doing" don't they?3D Printed Made-Rite 203
Wow! I better keep away from this thread! Quite a world of brushes out there. Maybe someday I'll own a Brad Sears, or something like it. Those pieces are a work of art, for sure. My simple brush is a Made-Rite 203 I duplicated and 3D Printed a while back. I find this design to be quite unique actually. Once I got my caliper going, I realized that this handle design was breaking all the rules of symmetry, and for good reason. The bottom section doesn't have a single true curve and none of the flat faces run in parallel or point to the center of the handle. Instead, the flat sections come to a point far away from the handle. The top section has two vertical seams and the hole for the knot is slightly bigger at the bottom. What all this means is that the handle went through an incredible amount of machining just to accommodate the molding process. It seems that the bottom section can only be ejected from the mold in a vertical direction, and the top section comes off the mold horizontally as a half. The two halves are then fused together to form the top half making it possible for the hole to taper to a larger diameter at the bottom. Long story short, I'll be using this little piece of plastic with a newfound respect for yesterday's artisans and machinist.
View attachment 65242
View attachment 65243
Stay safe and healthy.
Thanks! I can only imagine what they could have done if they had 3D Printers back then. Your craftsmanship is a gift. The Arley/28 is just beautiful!Nicely done! Those two-piece handles take a little "doing" don't they?