Blackland Vector SE razor (AC type)

sonofgaladriel

Senior Member
Would this be a good/forgiving razor for someone new to single/double edge wet shaving? I've just started with a DE razor but would like to try a SE razor and I like the design of the Vector. I think I'd like the narrow head on this Vector compared to the rather large head on my DE razor. I'm used to small, narrow, 2 blade, disposables which are very maneuverable and comfortable on my face. I've read, and seen some videos, stating its a fairly mild and very maneuverable razor with the right blade.
Also, those with the polished version, does it show fingerprints and soap residue significantly? I'd like to think that I'd wipe it down after each use, but.....
 

Pat-W

Forum GOD!
Would this be a good/forgiving razor for someone new to single/double edge wet shaving? I've just started with a DE razor but would like to try a SE razor and I like the design of the Vector. I think I'd like the narrow head on this Vector compared to the rather large head on my DE razor. I'm used to small, narrow, 2 blade, disposables which are very maneuverable and comfortable on my face. I've read, and seen some videos, stating its a fairly mild and very maneuverable razor with the right blade.
Also, those with the polished version, does it show fingerprints and soap residue significantly? I'd like to think that I'd wipe it down after each use, but.....
Definitely, the Vector would be right up your street. :okay:
 

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
Would this be a good/forgiving razor for someone new to single/double edge wet shaving? I've just started with a DE razor but would like to try a SE razor and I like the design of the Vector. I think I'd like the narrow head on this Vector compared to the rather large head on my DE razor. I'm used to small, narrow, 2 blade, disposables which are very maneuverable and comfortable on my face. I've read, and seen some videos, stating its a fairly mild and very maneuverable razor with the right blade.
Also, those with the polished version, does it show fingerprints and soap residue significantly? I'd like to think that I'd wipe it down after each use, but.....
The polished finish shows fingerprints and residue more readily, but it's a lot easier to clean since the residue doesn't stick to the smooth surfaces very well. Like PB said, a soft cloth will solve all your problems. Occasionally you might want to clean the razor with a bit of dish soap and a soft cloth. Overall maintenance is really easy on these razors.
 

sonofgaladriel

Senior Member
The polished finish shows fingerprints and residue more readily, but it's a lot easier to clean since the residue doesn't stick to the smooth surfaces very well. Like PB said, a soft cloth will solve all your problems. Occasionally you might want to clean the razor with a bit of dish soap and a soft cloth. Overall maintenance is really easy on these razors.
Thank you Shane! Thanks again for your email reply this morning regarding my question on the Vector purchase! (This is SeanCJ)
 

JoeLr

Forum GOD!
I received my polished Vector this morning, and this was the first time I've used an AC-style safety razor in several years. I have a couple Schick Prolines on hand, as well as one Kai Titan ProTouch. I just placed an order with TryAblade for a Feather Professional, Feather Pro Super***, Feather Pro Guard, Kai Captain Original and Kai Captain Sharpblade. First shave an hour ago was with a Proline.

I planned a typical 2+ pass shave. I went super light on the touch, as I am wont to do with a new razor/blade setup, much less a format that is largely foreign to me.

First (WTG) pass was intuitive as far as angle of attack; zero thought here, and as smooth as any sharp blade on my face has ever been. Good audible feedback.

Second (ATG) pass likewise, zero issues with light touch. Almost imperceptible pressure applied by sheer necessity of gliding the Vector upward. Quick face rinse, and my cheeks & neck as sooth as glass. As per usual, my problem areas, chin and mustache area (especially the latter where my stubble grows down as opposed to out), needed more work.

I applied more lather to the problem areas and buffed as I usually do. Here is where I had some issues, perhaps technique related. I was still reluctant to apply much pressure on my buffing strokes. I re-applied lather on these areas and re-buffed three more times, no exaggeration. I stopped while these areas were not quite DFS, in my estimation.

It's obvious to me that my second attempt needs to be more free-wheeling, with some pressure applied the first two passes, especially on my problem areas.

I want to be clear that while the result was not what one would hope, the in-shave experience was terrific. The Vector, a much lighter razor than I am used to using, was a joy to hold and maneuver. It's also quite the looker, IMO, something I appreciate as an admirer of design in general.

I have a titanium 92mmx11mm, 36g Tradere-esque handle by Stork on the way, and my plan is to try it with the Vector as the somewhat elongated neck should work aesthetically with the compact Vector head. I also just tend to prefer handles with knurling, no casting of aspersions at all regarding Shane's handle design.

I think I'm gonna have some fun, and eventually terrific shaves, with the Vector.

-------

***my last attempt with an AC razor involved a Feather Super....not great, buuuut, my first shave made me open up to the thought a Super might have some symbiosis with the Vector. Only way to know is to try.
 

sonofgaladriel

Senior Member
Polished Vector ordered! Had some cash drop in my lap yesterday and just couldn't resist treating myself! So looking forward to this!
Also ordered the artisan blade sample pack. I'll have to go back and search for which blade is the mildest of the bunch to start with.
 

sonofgaladriel

Senior Member
Thank you Will-J! I was thinking of starting with the KAI pink. Really looking forward to this razor. I'm struggling with my DE under my nose and under my lower lip with the bulk. Every shave I've cut either my upper or lower lip fairly bad. I've gone to using my twin blade disposable in those areas now, using the DE everywhere else.
 

JoeLr

Forum GOD!
Short & sweet: Third use this morning, and I already have this thing dialed-in. BBS, zero nicks, zero weepers, zero burn.

I'm a little taken aback, to be honest. I really didn't "get" SE in general, and AC-style in particular, in the past. Previous experience wasn't particularly impressive. Now? I love the rigidity of the AC blade. This format seems perfect for me. To me, blade chatter is the worst. While there are of course DE razors that provide the requisite blade clamping, I am contemplating my shaving life using only SE.

Of course this is after I've purchased ~400 blades the last 30 days (and waiting on my 250 Wizamets to arrive), which I know is a laughably small amount to certain men's standards, LOL. Anyway, I'm probably being reactionary. I'll go back to wanting a bit of diversity soon, I expect. For now though, I am loving AC life with the Vector.
 

Randomangle

Über Bum
This is all too much! There I was happy (and deluded) thinking my RAD had met it’s maker and I now find it has been awakened by this beauty. I will have to do more research on how expensive it will be and hope my wallet puts it’s little leather foot down. :cry:
 
Top