Blackland Vector SE razor (AC type)

p.b

Forum GOD!
Yes - wasn't getting the right size the problem? Most were far too big?

Hobby Craft shops have the full selection of sizes for those 'Really Useful Boxes'

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
Yes - wasn't getting the right size the problem? Most were far too big?

Hobby Craft shops have the full selection of sizes for those 'Really Useful Boxes'
It’s not really the size, although there wasn’t a perfect one for the SE. It was the going rate for Pelis is quite high.

Reactions: p.b

CobraX

Forum GOD!
Would that be really necessary? The Vector is a relatively lightweight razor already.
I used to think I loved heavy razors. But then I tried my aluminium RazoRock Hawk (37g) and my ATT SE1 (39g) and now I love light razors in combination with AC SE blades. The Vector weighs 77g which is roughly twice the weight of my current AC SE safety razors. So "lightweight" is a very relative term in my opinion.

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
I used to think I loved heavy razors. But then I tried my aluminium RazoRock Hawk (37g) and my ATT SE1 (39g) and now I love light razors in combination with AC SE blades. The Vector weighs 77g which is roughly twice the weight of my current AC SE safety razors. So "lightweight" is a very relative term in my opinion.
The Vector's head is actually lighter than the aluminum SE1 head. So just throw an aluminum handle on there and you'll be good to go.

Last edited:

CobraX

Forum GOD!
The Vector's head is actually lighter than the aluminum SE1. So just throw on an aluminum handle on there and you'll be good to go.
What makes me feel uncomfortable though is using different metals together. They don't have the same hardness and I'm afraid threads may get worn or the handle (screw hole) may get damaged.

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
What makes me feel uncomfortable though is using different metals together. They don't have the same hardness and I'm afraid threads may get worn or the handle (screw hole) may get damaged.
This really isn't a concern for an application like this. I know of no damage done to handles by mixing metals. On the flip side, if we make the head out of aluminum I suspect you'll be able to bend it like a paper clip. The top cap can already be bent if you try hard enough. And the narrow post would likely not be robust enough.

CobraX

Forum GOD!
This really isn't a concern for an application like this. I know of no damage done to handles by mixing metals. On the flip side, if we make the head out of aluminum I suspect you'll be able to bend it like a paper clip. The top cap can already be bent if you try hard enough. And the narrow post would likely no be robust enough.
Yeah, that's why I also mentioned titanium because I heard it's a harder metal while also being fairly lightweight.

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Yeah, that's why I also mentioned titanium because I heard it's a harder metal while also being fairly lightweight.
True but, costs go up exponentially on both ends of the spectrum. Ti is a much more difficult alloy to machine as it beats up tooling to a pulp. You potentially could be looking at a cost that is double to the SS Vector in retail. Just to save 15-25 grams? Not really worth the effort and expense to be honest.

But, it can be done....

CobraX

Forum GOD!
True but, costs go up exponentially on both ends of the spectrum. Ti is a much more difficult alloy to machine as it beats up tooling to a pulp. You potentially could be looking at a cost that is double to the SS Vector in retail. Just to save 15-25 grams? Not really worth the effort and expense to be honest.

But, it can be done....
I do think there's a market for it though because I see titanium razors in SOTD posts, but it's probably a niche market.

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
I do think there's a market for it though because I see titanium razors in SOTD posts, but it's probably a niche market.
Titanium is definitely a possibility for the Vector. I suspect the demand is small and the price would be significant, but the Vector sells so well that it may still happen. I'm not 100% sure that it can be machined in Ti so it's something I'll have to dig into. Ti is something on the order of 50-60% as dense at ss so it would weigh in somewhere around 35-40g, if my memory is right.

JoeLr

Forum GOD!
Does the slim head &/or the threaded post make it not practical to use non-stock handles? Sorry, I just have no experience with the cool solution Shane came up with for attaching handles on his SE heads; so no idea if it's an issue.