Blackland Vector SE razor (AC type)

MrK1

Forum GOD!
I appreciate the report , but I do not like the appearance of the Razor as shown in the sideview as the head is not at all in proportion to the handle. I prefer the looks of the Paradigm, though I shall be getting neither as I am more than happy with the shaves that I get from my AC/SE Razors. I probably have too many of this Type already.
Both pictures are taken of the head on an Ikon OSS handle, not the stock Vector handle.
The OSS handle hits my sweet spot. A perfect size and weight. I have another one paired with an EJ89 head.

When I saw the low profile of the Vector head I was worried the OSS handle wouldn't fit properly. The handle diameter almost perfectly matches the head width.

The pictures were just to illustrate how other handles fit the head in case anyone else was wondering.
 
Last edited:

MPF9

Forum GOD!
Both pictures are taken of the head on an Ikon OSS handle, not the stock Vector handle.
The OSS handle hits my sweet spot. A perfect size and weight. I have another one paired with an EJ89 head.

When I saw the low profile of the Vector head I was worried the OSS handle wouldn't fit properly. The handle diameter almost perfectly matches the head width.

The pictures were just to illustrate how other handles fit the head in case anyone else was wondering.
I fully understand that you prefer to use another handle on this specific Razor.I too switch handles if I do not like the handle supplied originally, even with the original handle I am not keen on the look of the Vectors side profile. I am sure having read SOTD by users that it is a great Razor, just a bit pared down for me,but then I actually rather like my Chunky Claymore- without it’s original handle :)
 

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
I am not keen on the look of the Vectors side profile.
I actually kind of agree with you. There just isn’t enough real estate there to make a compelling profile. But this is obviously a case where the goal is minimalism taken to an almost silly degree and that limited my options with the profile appearance. Design is all about prioritization and compromise. For this design the priority was on stripping every bit of excess away and that leads to obvious compromises. Taken from the side, it’s boring, but from 45 deg head on I think it’s my best design work thus far.
 

MPF9

Forum GOD!
I actually kind of agree with you. There just isn’t enough real estate there to make a compelling profile. But this is obviously a case where the goal is minimalism taken to an almost silly degree and that limited my options with the profile appearance. Design is all about prioritization and compromise. For this design the priority was on stripping every bit of excess away and that leads to obvious compromises. Taken from the side, it’s boring, but from 45 deg head on I think it’s my best design work thus far.
I understand what you have done by paring it down, and the side profile does not quite hang right compared with other views. Today I was reminded of the paring down process when I used the King Cobra , which because of the head being on the curve looks prettier in side view - but has a pretty rubbish blade securing mechanism compared to the Vector.
After todays Shave I quite fancy trying the Vector out some time, despite that side profile.

7f7e5424ab56b7739a77027ebd9e150d.jpg IMG_0312.jpg
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
I understand what you have done by paring it down, and the side profile does not quite hang right compared with other views. Today I was reminded of the paring down process when I used the King Cobra , which because of the head being on the curve looks prettier in side view - but has a pretty rubbish blade securing mechanism compared to the Vector.
After todays Shave I quite fancy trying the Vector out some time, despite that side profile.

View attachment 40886 View attachment 40887
In my very humble opinion due to the slim head profile it needs the thinner handle to balance the look of the head. It may shave better on the Icon handle but it gets totally lost on the thicker shank and looks like something from Land of the Giants. I prefer the original handle aesthetically.
 

p.b

Forum GOD!
In my very humble opinion due to the slim head profile it needs the thinner handle to balance the look of the head. It may shave better on the Icon handle but it gets totally lost on the thicker shank and looks like something from Land of the Giants. I prefer the original handle aesthetically.
From photographs I didn't like the way the neck tapers on the original handle but I love it now and think it probably helps balance out the skinny / under-nourished head.
 
Last edited:

p.b

Forum GOD!
I’d love to know how to do that. Is it hard and do you need any equipment?
A range of Wet & Dry paper (240-320-400-600-800-1200-1500-3000)
A flat surface
A Dremel with polishing mops
4 grades of polishing compound (I can send you the link if you're interested)
2 - 2.5 hours

To do the handle I put a M5 bolt in a drill, screw the handle on to it and spin it (make sure it isn't untightening!) while sanding / polishing.
For the head I lay the Wet & Dry flat on a very flat surface and move the head up and down and across the flat paper.
It's not hard but it is time consuming, but rewarding.
 

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
I understand what you have done by paring it down, and the side profile does not quite hang right compared with other views. Today I was reminded of the paring down process when I used the King Cobra , which because of the head being on the curve looks prettier in side view - but has a pretty rubbish blade securing mechanism compared to the Vector.
After todays Shave I quite fancy trying the Vector out some time, despite that side profile.

View attachment 40886
Not everyone will like a design and I'm perfectly fine with that. However, if you're going to compare side profiles at least do so with the handle that was designed for the razor. All my razors - this one in particular - are designed as a single piece. That is, the head and handle are designed at the same time and are meant to work together aesthetically as a unit. I took a lot of time to get the proportions right to balance out the tiny head without having a toothpick handle. I think users should use whatever handle they want on the razor, but critiquing the aesthetics should be done within the context of the full design as it was originally created.

Here are some user photos from the profile with the stock handle. It's still not the razor's best angle, but within the context of the fully assembled razor I think it's pretty strong and highlights how small the head is while still appearing visually balanced.





In my very humble opinion due to the slim head profile it needs the thinner handle to balance the look of the head. It may shave better on the Icon handle but it gets totally lost on the thicker shank and looks like something from Land of the Giants. I prefer the original handle aesthetically.
Well said.
 
Last edited:

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
From photographs I didn't like the way the neck tapers on the original handle but I love it now and think it probably helps balance out the skinny / under-nourished head.
The taper is weird on its own, but necessary. The thick main portion of the handle needs to be visually separated from the tiny head. It gives the illusion that it's thin while still allowing it to be of average thickness where it counts.

.....and I just created the saddest pickup line. :(
 
Top