Blackland Vector SE razor (AC type)

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Having watched Rudd's review, what stuck in my mind was his comment regarding the Vector being slimmer and more manoeuvrable. This is great if your preference is the AC type blade. However, I prefer the stiffer GEM blade, hence kept thinking the Sabre is probably more manoeuvrable being very slim and shorter in width. I find the Cobra Classic to deliver a very direct blade feel too, without having a large cumbersome head. Around the same price too, perhaps cheaper. Anyway what I may dismiss may be loved by another.
 

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
Having watched Rudd's review, what stuck in my mind was his comment regarding the Vector being slimmer and more manoeuvrable. This is great if your preference is the AC type blade. However, I prefer the stiffer GEM blade, hence kept thinking the Sabre is probably more manoeuvrable being very slim and shorter in width. I find the Cobra Classic to deliver a very direct blade feel too, without having a large cumbersome head. Around the same price too, perhaps cheaper. Anyway what I may dismiss may be loved by another.
When we discuss the man(o)euverability of the Vector, it's obviously only in comparison to other AC razors. The Vector is as nimble as a razor of that blade type can possibly be. If you prefer the GEM blade, of course the Vector isn't for you; that's why we have both the Sabre and Vector. The original Cobra is hard to find, made of brass with a shoddy hinge design, has an ancient mold that makes the grip lines shallow and uneven, and comes from a company with the worst customer service of any company in wet shaving. It shaves pretty well, but I think the Vector will be just fine.
 

celestino

Forum GOD!
I would have to agree with Shane regarding the Cobra. I had three of them and sold them for most of the reasons he mentioned above regarding the razor. Furthermore, the handle and the overall design weren't to my liking as it just never felt comfortable in my hand.
I am looking forward to trying the Vector to see if I can finally get on with those volatile Feather-type AC blades. :)
 

beisler

Senior Member
I know the design of the Cobra Was flimsy with that stupid locking mechanism. I also agree they were a horribly run company. However I loved the shave.I will be getting a Vector as I love the way you run your company Shane, plus your razors are awesome, especially my Blackbird OC.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
When we discuss the man(o)euverability of the Vector, it's obviously only in comparison to other AC razors. The Vector is as nimble as a razor of that blade type can possibly be. If you prefer the GEM blade, of course the Vector isn't for you; that's why we have both the Sabre and Vector. The original Cobra is hard to find, made of brass with a shoddy hinge design, has an ancient mold that makes the grip lines shallow and uneven, and comes from a company with the worst customer service of any company in wet shaving. It shaves pretty well, but I think the Vector will be just fine.
I suppose were relying on a few YouTubers for an opinion, as without personally laying down hundreds, we are only considering qualitative remarks. The YouTubers mentioned on this thread are being paid through YouTube and without a negative review for some time. That's just my opinion and I could be wrong but it's what I have to go of, not knowing them persoanlly. Again I suppose as you mentioned earlier, several may be waiting for user reviews whom they trust. I know I would be in this camp if AC SE blades were my preference. Then again this would easily be achieved via a pass around no?

Regarding the Cobra Classic, guess I got lucky as I enjoy using mine and think it looks like a gorgeous sports car with a snake underbody....razor porn :) the Cobra and General are my preferred AC razors. But the Sabre V.2 is still king of SE in my den :)
 

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Ruds review sealed the deal for me, even though I was in it to get one once it was announced a few months ago. But that particular review confirmed what I needed to hear and see....

Concerning the Cobra (Classic version) yes, I do agree that the biggest weakness it has is the locking mechanism which undoubtedly will fail in the foreseeable future. The look, the feel and the finish draw me in. And the shave, very few match it in terms of blade feel yet maintaining absolute smoothness, regardless of blade format. In my experience at least. The distributor/maker is one of the biggest pains in the ass in dealing with and acquiring one is nearly impossible. And finding one in the b/s/t is damn near nonexistent. It's a hell of a performer and looks sexy to boot. I have no regrets......

Then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say....:wink:
 

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
Ruds ripped on the Dart which is part of why I chose him so he’s definitely had negative reviews. I want reviewers to be as fair and honest as they can be. But they also know that some guy spent a year working on this thing and even if they hate it they aren’t going to absolutely trash it because they’re decent people. I wouldn’t mind it if they did. Also, these guys with a couple thousand subscribers aren’t making a dime off YouTube. Maybe a free razor or soap, but no ad revenue and no paid sponsors. CDB addresses this in his preview video.

I still hate pass arounds and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

And I actually like the Cobra quite a bit! But it’s just a shaky comparison when you factor in availability, build quality, and customer service.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Ruds ripped on the Dart which is part of why I chose him so he’s definitely had negative reviews. I want reviewers to be as fair and honest as they can be. But they also know that some guy spent a year working on this thing and even if they hate it they aren’t going to absolutely trash it because they’re decent people. I wouldn’t mind it if they did. Also, these guys with a couple thousand subscribers aren’t making a dime off YouTube. Maybe a free razor or soap, but no ad revenue and no paid sponsors. CDB addresses this in his preview video.

I still hate pass arounds and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

And I actually like the Cobra quite a bit! But it’s just a shaky comparison when you factor in availability, build quality, and customer service.
I do see your point with regards to the Cobra and availability, I can't say I've had any issues with the mechanism thus far, but obviously others have.
I wasn't aware that no adverts were present (CDB), always remember skipping them in the past..
And can't argue on the pass arounds, totally your call. Pretty much snookered. Look forward to reading the reviews :)
 

Boru62

Shaving Boar
I still hate pass arounds and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

And I actually like the Cobra quite a bit! But it’s just a shaky comparison when you factor in availability, build quality, and customer service.
Call me a nosy sod, but why don't you like pass arounds?
The Cobra is my favourite razor although, i agree with your opinion on the stockists.
The L2 is my second favourite modern razor, it did take a while for me to warm to the post but it won't put me off buying the Vector if the reviews are good.
 

george1906

Veteran
The Asylum RX has the smallest head and the Vector looks to be even smaller and more nimble with a bit less aggression. Should be very interesting. I look forward to using a Feather Pro Super in the Vector as I can’t in the Asylum RX. I use the Schick Proline blades in the Asylum and Feather Pro Super’s in my Colonial Generals and Razorock Hawk SS versions.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Top