Blackland Vector SE razor (AC type)

Boru62

Shaving Boar
@Blackland Razors
Hi Shane,
I use mostly SEs and I'm a big fan of the Sabre.
The L1 wouldn't be a daily driver, think Pushbutton.
And, the L2 is a very good daily, i.e. 1914.
How do you decide the efficiency of your razors?
Do you:
Use mathematics?
Use them yourself?
Both?
Something Else?
Read magazines from the '70s?
Cheers,
Kevin
 
Last edited:

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
@Blackland Razors
Hi Shane,
I use mostly SEs and I'm a big fan of the Sabre.
The L1 wouldn't be a daily driver, think Pushbutton.
And, the L2 is a very good daily, i.e. 1914.
How do you decide the efficiency of your razors?
Do you:
Use mathematics?
Use them yourself?
Both?
Something Else?
Read magazines from the '70s?
Cheers,
Kevin
Are you asking how I decide how aggressive/efficient to make a razor? That’s a fun question with a boring answer. With the exception of the Blackbird, I make what I think will sell well. I also try to design razors that fit in with the rest of my lineup. For example, the Sabre L1 is a mild single edge so the new SE won’t be as mild. Each razor should offer something slightly different than the rest to appeal to someone new, but not be so different that it turns off my current customers. I’ve gotten this right a few times and wrong a few times, but that’s basically how I go about it.
 
Last edited:

Boru62

Shaving Boar
Are you asking how I decide how aggressive/efficient to make a razor? That’s a fun question with a boring answer. With the exception of the Blackbird, I make what I think will sell well. I also try to design razors that fit in with the rest of my lineup. For example, the Sabre L1 is a mild single edge so the new SE won’t be as mild. Each razor should offer something slightly different than the rest to appeal to someone new, but not be so different that it turns off my current customers. I’ve gotten this right a few times and wrong a few times, but that’s basically how I go about it.
Do you physically test them yourself and has the geometry ever surprised you?
 

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
Do you physically test them yourself and has the geometry ever surprised you?
Of course I test them myself. Each razor goes through many 3D printed prototypes that I test extensively before moving to stainless which is also tested. I’ve got a pretty good handle on how razors work so I usually have an idea how the design will shave. I’m often slightly surprised, but rarely caught off guard. Performance is pretty predictable.
 

Boru62

Shaving Boar
Of course I test them myself. Each razor goes through many 3D printed prototypes that I test extensively before moving to stainless which is also tested. I’ve got a pretty good handle on how razors work so I usually have an idea how the design will shave. I’m often slightly surprised, but rarely caught off guard. Performance is pretty predictable.
Thanks for the detailed answer Shane.
 

p.b

Forum GOD!
email from Shane:

This Sunday, September 23rd, my wife and I will be hitting the road to camp at and explore many of the incredible national parks in the American Southwest. You can follow along with our journey on Instagram (@blacklandrazors) and Facebook (facebook.com/blacklandrazors). Since Blackland is largely a one-man show, we won’t be fulfilling orders while we’re away. Orders placed before 12pm noon PDT this Saturday will be shipped immediately. Orders placed after that time will be fulfilled when we return the week of October 8th.

While we’re away you can still get our products through Maggard Razors (here), West Coast Shaving (here), and Amazon.

After we return, Blackland will be busier than it has ever been. We have a series of huge releases coming up this fall and winter including (in no particular order) our Artist Club single edge razor, polished Darts, more polished Blackbirds, premium finishes, brushes, and Blackbirds in a new material. All of these items are in production now or have been scheduled and we’ll be rolling out those releases in rapid succession beginning in October.

I’ll continue to be as available as possible and respond to emails quickly, but internet access will be spotty on certain days. I appreciate your patience and understanding.

SHOP HERE
Sincerely,

Shane Swartzlander
​
October could be expensive... I wonder if there will be Blackbirds in titanium or aluminium or brass?
 
Top