Attar عطار

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Today, Surrati Jannat Al Firdaus ... Sandalwood, Musk, Moss & Lily of the Valley
How is the roller on yours, bought mine a year a or so ago and the roller from first opening is extremely stiff? Gorgeous scent though, extremely floral but masculine too.

Grarea

Forum Plod
Stop it, just stop it:) I've already got another 10 on the way, so that's 18 in a week!
ha ha, i almost wrote the same thing.
I managed to stop at ten, but, boy it was difficult.
Actually, saying that, I also have the three from the PIF, that random one and one other on the way.
How did that happen?

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Today, Oudh al Anfar Anfasic Musk, a blend of patchouli, animalic, black musk, amber & oriental oudh with a dab of Himalayan Rose (from PPG).

Grarea

Forum Plod
Hajer E Aswad by Surrati .
Does it meet expectations?

Ajmal Arabian musk.
Dribble, drool, etc etc
OK, so, this one says:
With a top note of geranium, middle notes of jasmine, ylang, clove and nutmeg and finished with heady musk, patchouli and cedarwood base notes
Smashing, this is a really warming type scent. There is a bit of cough sweet, so that is the cloves I suspect.
I can get a complete mix of smells. I can tell the jasmine (or it might be the jasmine and/or geranium. Something floral anyway)
Then the musk and the wood as well. I don't know what ylang and patchouli are like.
But this is yummy. They are pretty well balanced aren't they? with my favourites winning through. Which are the woods and the cloves.

Something in this does remind me of toilet cleaner. (In a nice way though)
Either I have used some top notch toilet cleaner or i am a little mistaken.
What might that be?

pjgh

Forum GOD!
It'll be the combination ... floral and woody.

Yeah, it's well balanced. Ylang is yellow. It smells of yellow. Patchouli can be quite green, almost minty. Usually, it's leafy woody.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Hajar e Aswad (Hajre Aswad) & Mukhallat Malaki (Maliki) are two which seem to come up as "the" most popular scents and two which epitomise Arabian perfumery. Personally, I think Ajmal's Arabian Musk is about the best introduction to this style of perfume.

Surrati's Hajre Aswad is certainly of the same family - a complex blend of oudh, amber and musk with something mossy underneath. Compare to Swiss Arabian's, which is lighter and certainly more bitter and more floral (rose) or Al Haramain's which is again lighter yet more balsamic, almost cough sweet balsamic together with a bitter herbalness. If it's a smell you like, variations on a theme across brands do make a good difference.

Ash

Legendary Member
Just tried the Attar Al Makkah by Al Haramain and it's my new favourite. Notes listed as, It starts with musky and ambery note which quickly transforms in to very sweet and fruity aroma. It has notes of black, juicy plum, mango and other tropical fruits.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
I'd been a bit shy about trying oils described as "fruit" notes as they're often, well, girly ... but Musk Makkah is not. It is indeed a wonderful, sumptuous musky, ambery, fruity punch without being "gourmand". I might try some listed as "sweet" next ...

Of course, "dried fruit" in high quality oudh oil is a polite way of saying ... "a bit barnyard to begin with" :D

Blimey! Checking the notes on one oudh oil I've got, it says "strong animalic spiciness with a touch of gourmand cheese along with a deep woody musky core" ... yeah, barnyard, sex glands and blue cheese! And they're not wrong :speechless:

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Today, it's Reeha Mukhallat Suefi (Sufi?) ... super sweet with an earthy oudh and patchouli core. Not a million miles off the background effect of Aramis Aramis once the florals have died down.

Grarea

Forum Plod
I'd been a bit shy about trying oils described as "fruit" notes as they're often, well, girly ... but Musk Makkah is not. It is indeed a wonderful, sumptuous musky, ambery, fruity punch without being "gourmand". I might try some listed as "sweet" next ...

Of course, "dried fruit" in high quality oudh oil is a polite way of saying ... "a bit barnyard to begin with" :D

Blimey! Checking the notes on one oudh oil I've got, it says "strong animalic spiciness with a touch of gourmand cheese along with a deep woody musky core" ... yeah, barnyard, sex glands and blue cheese! And they're not wrong :speechless:
Interesting. You don't think twice about the 'floral' side then?
I know what you mean though.
It really is a 'don't know till you try' isn't it?
I veer away slightly from floral, but I suspect I want some floral in there actually.
(Just not lily it turns out.)
I think there was a bit of 'silage' in the whole wet grass thing. But I think you are drawn or pushed away from 'sweet' and certain 'florals'
Just as some are pushed away from 'musky'.
My son and I both tried the Surrati Jannat Al Firdaus and both got quite a different smell from it.
You wouldn't have said it was the same scent at all. Mine lasted longer as well. All rather interesting.

I am carrying on with Ajmal Arabian musk although i do find it a bit errrrrrr 'powdery' ?????
Like it isn't smooth somehow. A slightly coarse smell. Does that make sense?