Top 5 soaps

Dr Watson

James
Having recently gone veggie it's about time I did likewise with my shaving soaps, I don't find tallow soaps perform any better than good vegetal one's anyway... Perhaps for those who like super dense Father Christmas beard style lathers but that's not how I shave. In fact I was surprised recently when using a TOBS cream for the first time in ages and it was slicker than the MWF I'd gotten used to, crazy.

So, my top 5 would currently look like this:

Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina (runner up scents: Tundra Artica & Manna di Sicilia)
LPL Rose de Pushkar
Speick Active
MdC Fougere
Klar Seifen Sport

All wonderful performers but the MdC & Klar scents stink a bit... I'll be looking for better smelling replacements, may have to give Wickhams another try as I did enjoy a wee sample of Ninfeo di Egeria. Also I MUST try Eufros this year... Oh and I need to retry Fitjar... :facepalm:

Having recently gone veggie it's about time I did likewise with my shaving soaps, I don't find tallow soaps perform any better than good vegetal one's anyway... Perhaps for those who like super dense Father Christmas beard style lathers but that's not how I shave. In fact I was surprised recently when using a TOBS cream for the first time in ages and it was slicker than the MWF I'd gotten used to, crazy.

So, my top 5 would currently look like this:

Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina (runner up scents: Tundra Artica & Manna di Sicilia)
LPL Rose de Pushkar
Speick Active
MdC Fougere
Klar Seifen Sport

All wonderful performers but the MdC & Klar scents stink a bit... I'll be looking for better smelling replacements, may have to give Wickhams another try as I did enjoy a wee sample of Ninfeo di Egeria. Also I MUST try Eufros this year... Oh and I need to retry Fitjar... :facepalm:
Wickham 1912 and Eufros are great soaps, James. Though I haven't tried the vegetal version of Eufros. I can tell you that the tallow version is one of the slickest soaps that i've tried personally. Was also going to suggest LPL tallow but if you're staying on the Vegetal bases there are quite a few others to explore. Good luck!

Dr Watson

James
Wickham 1912 and Eufros are great soaps, James. Though I haven't tried the vegetal version of Eufros. I can tell you that the tallow version is one of the slickest soaps that i've tried personally. Was also going to suggest LPL tallow but if you're staying on the Vegetal bases there are quite a few others to explore. Good luck!
I've tried a few Wickhams previously and they never quite gelled with me but I often find revisiting things my opinion is different second or even third time around :blush: Darron is only up the road from me so I ought to try and support him really! Local business and all that.

Eufros vegetal soaps appear to be fairly limited, Gea or damp earth only, shame as Cronos sounds lovely. Completely agree on LPL tallow, quality stuff but I really hated the Oud/Santal scent (I really dislike oud :yuck:)

I've tried a few Wickhams previously and they never quite gelled with me but I often find revisiting things my opinion is different second or even third time around :blush: Darron is only up the road from me so I ought to try and support him really! Local business and all that.

Eufros vegetal soaps appear to be fairly limited, Gea or damp earth only, shame as Cronos sounds lovely. Completely agree on LPL tallow, quality stuff but I really hated the Oud/Santal scent (I really dislike oud :yuck:)
Yeah if Darron's close buy I would definitely grab a soap or two!!! They're well liked in the community so unlikely you'll have a problem moving them on if they really don't agree with you second time around. Plus the scents are very good IMHO..I've never had one I really disliked and I've tried 6 or 7. Darron's a class act all round IMHO.
GEA gets good reviews from many Eufros fans but as I say I have never tried it..but again, from what I've had from Manuel, the scents have been very nice. Worth sending him a mail to see what he has in stock, he's a very accommodating guy and always sends generous samples with his orders. His balms are excellent too.:thumbsup:
Shame you disliked the LPL scent (I agree it was nothing spectacular) but Oud is a very polarizing scent for many.

D

Deleted member 1881

A few changes to my list from what I like: No particular order

Abbate Y La Mantia Don Jose
Le Pere Lucien Oud/Sandal
Wickhams Magnum
P&B Sanskrit
Valobra Fougere (The smell is terrible, Italian Bidet, but the performance is out of space)

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
It now looks like:
1 - Jabonman
2 - Vretos
3 - P&B
4 - TFS
5 - MWF
Wow, a long time since I posted this...
Different now and looks a little more like:

1 Vreto
2 P&B
3 Speick
4 Siliski
5 Stirling

I have tried quite a few others, such as Mikes, B&M, DG, Black Ship, Mickey Lee, Tallow & Steel, Razer master, Wholly Kaw and none of these have lived up to the hype, nor the performance of the 5 in my list, in fact some were downright dreadful.

D

Deleted member 1881

View attachment 43582

How is it? I've been meaning to try this for over 12 months now.
I'm not even nearly as experienced as you are, but all I can say is that when I put this on the face I couldn't believe the quality and the feeling. As for the post shave? Like applied a balm.

The slickness and the residual slickness are really top class, this thing is from another planet! I can smell only the banana with some menthol, but mild.

Last edited by a moderator:

mark0

Forum GOD!
1. Mickey Lee Soapworks (Kraken) - Superb protection with a distinct sound when cutting, blade gets to do the job while leaving the skin in great shape. I enjoy this simple, clean scent. Only area that I could see improving is post shave, but it's decent as it is.
2. B&M Reserve (Waves) - I wrote about my initial negative experience with this soap base. When I gave it another go it ended up being a strong favorite. Similar sound and feel as MLS when cutting whiskers and a better post shave. Loading could be tricky but it's easy enough when you dial it in. Scent enhanced the experience in a big way. Wonderful intense fragrance.
3. Mike's Natural soaps (Barbershop) - My skin likes this soap, performance is not lacking, scent is subtle and pleasant, it is a bit firmer than usual, there is a bit more of it than usual and it costs a bit less than usual.
4. Vreto (Mint Eucalyptus) - I may be biased when it comes to this one, being that the person behind it is my fellow countryman, but I guess I would not keep reaching for it just for that reason alone. Voluminous lather, ease of loading and great slickness are the highlights I experienced. Scents are hit and miss in my opinion, but there is lot of them so I am able to get along with quite a few.
5. Haslinger - tallow (Seaweed) - This inexpensive gem is good enough in every aspect. The overall impression is very positive, scent is unique and for my nose a pleasant one. Punches way above its weight and that is why it made it on the list.

Honorable mentions:
Tabac - As classic as it gets. In your face scent and a bit drying post shave kept it from the list but a honorable mention is well deserved.
Pre de Provence - Honestly, the performance is inferior, at least when compared to the best ones available at the moment. I absolutely love the classic scent, metal tin that contains this rock solid puck and the old school label you might lose anytime it gets in contact with water. I can get a decent, not the most protective but slick lather from it, and that gets the job done.

Dr Watson

James
I'm not even nearly as experienced as you are, but all I can say is that when I put this on the face I couldn't not believe the quality and the feeling. As for the post shave? Like applied a balm.

The slickness and the residual slickness are really top class, this thing is from another planet! I can smell only the banana with some menthol, but mild.
Thank you for the description... I shall add it to "the list" :happy:

Sounds like a nice summer soap :sun: