Your coffee brewing method

morr

Forum GOD!
You're welcome mate, as you said, it's a matter of personal preference. Good thing it's pretty cheap to try out the alternatives.

Grarea

Forum Plod
That was really useful info @morr
That sent me off to look into things with those words.

It seems like the three main ones are the Able and the Able fine and the koffieologie s filter.
It seems like the koffieologie s filter has a finer mesh and so closer to the paper version than even the Able fine.
Some people say that they prefer the metal as they get a chemical taste from the paper ones.
Some say they get a cardboard taste from the unbleached ones.
some prefer the paper obviously, but, it seems, mostly over the Able ones.
I think the s filter is a closer run comparison.

Also, people say the metal is good for travelling, but more difficult to clean.
The Able fine is apparently a little fragile.

It sounds like the s filter is easier to clean and more durable. Plus it has a lifetime guarantee.
Plus it is a finer mesh.

As you say, it sounds like the taste is a bit different from paper to the s filter depending on personal taste , coffee, etc etc etc

I reckon I shall give the S filter a try.

Also, no bleach and never buy another one.

Thanks again for that.

morr

Forum GOD!
Either V60 or frenchpress.

Wanted to try chemex or aeropress soon.
V60 is my preferred method too, but Aeroperess is up there too. Aeropress is a bit more consistent and you don't need a gooseneck kettle like for V60. Also, Aeropress can make pretty decent faux espresso :wink:

Grarea

Forum Plod
@morr
Thanks for that. I got the S Filter.
I am really pleased with it.
I definitely prefer it.
The negatives that people give are:
It is harder to push down. I don't find that is the case.
It is fiddlier to clean. I used to rinse off the paper ones anyway, so this is easier than that.

morr

Forum GOD!
@morr
Thanks for that. I got the S Filter.
I am really pleased with it.
I definitely prefer it.
The negatives that people give are:
It is harder to push down. I don't find that is the case.
It is fiddlier to clean. I used to rinse off the paper ones anyway, so this is easier than that.
I don't know, I find it easier to push with the S-Filter, not that it matters anyway. I too reuse the paper filters a few times and rinse them in between uses. Don't really know how that would be a problem for anyone.

Glad you like it, enjoy your coffee :wink:

As usual today..cafetiere and freshly ground beans (Javanese) Personally, I always find I get a "richer" brew with the cafetiere rather than the pour over method.
Could be my technique I suppose. As for the Moka pot (I still have one somewhere) my brew was always too bitter. (again probably brewing technique)

Hmmm tempted to have another coffee now after reading this thread!!!:hotdrink::hotdrink:

morr

Forum GOD!
It's the filter and the amount of oils it lets through. Your paper filter in pour over will always filter out more oils than a metal one, like in mokka, therefore producing a brew with less body.
Also, it's incredibly easy to "burn" the coffee in mokka which is probably the reason it tastes bitter.

It's the filter and the amount of oils it lets through. Your paper filter in pour over will always filter out more oils than a metal one, like in mokka, therefore producing a brew with less body.
Also, it's incredibly easy to "burn" the coffee in mokka which is probably the reason it tastes bitter.
Good advice my friend thank you.:thumbsup:

Dj-Steved

Brush Addict
Just bought myself a Areopress I think it will suffice for my minimal coffee requirements.

Can I ask anybody that has one how many scopes of coffee they add I believe it is 2 i will be using the illy coffee?

morr

Forum GOD!
Just bought myself a Areopress I think it will suffice for my minimal coffee requirements.

Can I ask anybody that has one how many scopes of coffee they add I believe it is 2 i will be using the illy coffee?
I always use a scale for coffee. For Aeropress I use 15g of fresh ground beans with 200g of water: I brew it with 30 sec bloom, then stir and let it sit for another 60 sec.

If that's Illy ground coffee you're using, I would suggest finding the coarsest grind you can as most pre ground coffee is ground fine for espresso or turkish. The best would be to buy fresh beans and grind them yourself.

Dj-Steved

Brush Addict
Thanks for the info more.
I was trying to avoid the grinding my own beans, only because I do no have a grinder and I also have no experience with beans or grinding but I may have to look into that if I can't use the already ground coffees like the illy one I quite like.

morr

Forum GOD!
Thanks for the info more.
I was trying to avoid the grinding my own beans, only because I do no have a grinder and I also have no experience with beans or grinding but I may have to look into that if I can't use the already ground coffees like the illy one I quite like.
You could get a Hario Slim grinder, they're pretty cheap are a decent entry level grinder. Here is one on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hario-H...838896?hash=item23670e31f0:g:rtwAAOSwLF1YBxOb
Grinder makes the biggest difference in the world and I can guarantee that average cheap fresh beans will taste better than Illy :wink: