When was your last rough shave?

Wayne

Forum Sod
As above. I asked because mine was a poor shave this morning and thank goodness for Aloe Vera Gel. Equipment used (Not knocking anything here) Carbon CX, Gillette Yellow, A&E Choco Cubano, S.V Badger. Everything was going well, lovely lather, new blade (may have been dodgy) Boy did it shave close! I had several weepers on my neck and one on my cheek which never happens. Unless it was a badly finished blade I really can't put my finger on it but my face was sore, luckily the Aloe sorted it in 10 mins. Not impressed today Lads.

Dr Watson

James
Couple of days ago actually... Been using cheap soap sticks recently so decided to have a slightly more luxurious shave and use Saponifico Varesino, the lather was very slick but to be honest it was otherwise pretty crap compared to Arko. That along with a Feather blade which decided to die mid shave left me with a raw neck and a few weepers.

It happens occasionally, usually when trying to make it a special one. It's one of those things, if I don't think about it at all a lovely shave ensues but if I try too hard something always goes wrong... Must be a life lesson in there somewhere.

Last edited:
My last rough one was on a roller-coaster at Alton Towers I knew I shouldn't have gone ATG..but to be fair I was drunk. Not bad for 6 passes!:laugh:
Joking aside..I've had the odd rough shave like yourself, pal. Just give your face a day or two off..they next shave is always damn good!

I think it was Ladas blades which I didn't get on with, sometimes you can get a dodgy blade.
I have 2 blades that seem to always give me amazing shaves in any razor Polsilvers and Rubies.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Last week when I tried using TOBS soap, the lather looked good but it really wasn't. I love the scent of their sandalwood soap but really need to bin what’s left of it.

morr

Forum GOD!
I have a rough shave from time to time and I haven't been able to figure out exactly why that happens. It can happen with any razor/blade/soap combination and to the best of my knowledge doesn't really depend on a number of uses of the blade. I've learned to live with it and take it as a reminder that's it's still a (razor) sharp blade we're dragging across our faces.

SteveD83

Über Member
Last week when I tried using TOBS soap, the lather looked good but it really wasn't. I love the scent of their sandalwood soap but really need to bin what’s left of it.
Don't bin it, I assume you are talking about the soft ¿croap? type TOBS, which is one that I love, you should try loading more than you think you will need and use less water than you might think, even the water in the brush might be more than enough.

Try it atleast a few more times it is a very good soap imho, if not put it on BST I'm sure someone will appreciate it :wink:

Lord Fatboy

Forgo Mud !
The other night but it was my own fault.
As part of an experiment in old-timey shaving I wanted to see if a heavily abused, not re-honed in months and barely stropped Straight Razor would shave a three week beard.

It did, and in about 1 & 1/2 half passes, but it wasn't exactly smooth.

Last edited:

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
As above. I asked because mine was a poor shave this morning and thank goodness for Aloe Vera Gel. Equipment used (Not knocking anything here) Carbon CX, Gillette Yellow, A&E Choco Cubano, S.V Badger. Everything was going well, lovely lather, new blade (may have been dodgy) Boy did it shave close! I had several weepers on my neck and one on my cheek which never happens. Unless it was a badly finished blade I really can't put my finger on it but my face was sore, luckily the Aloe sorted it in 10 mins. Not impressed today Lads.
What aloe gel do you use Wayne?

Vacumatic

Testy
Last week was my last rough shave, all down to Gillette 7 O'clock Permashave, worst blade I have ever used, in fact the only time where I have stopped half way through a shave and thought 'Sod This'.

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
I occasionally get a rough shave and put it down to my skin being dry or seasonal changes in the weather...of course it would never be my technique :)

Zwilling

Kamisori shaver
This morning, with my Henckels straight. I had honed it a few days ago and I thought it was tip top again - it wasn't, it was a harsh and tuggy shave, with a less than smooth result. Back to the grindstone with more laps and minimal pressure.

A DE shave is almost always satisfying for me, with the exception of Gillette Perma-Sharp blades which are universally horrible for me.

Lord Fatboy

Forgo Mud !
This morning, with my Henckels straight. I had honed it a few days ago and I thought it was tip top again - it wasn't, it was a harsh and tuggy shave, with a less than smooth result. Back to the grindstone with more laps and minimal pressure.

A DE shave is almost always satisfying for me, with the exception of Gillette Perma-Sharp blades which are universally horrible for me.
What stone / etc did you finish on? Just out of interest.

pimple8

Forum GOD!
I rarely have a bad shave, i.e. it's pretty much always smooth and efficient. No redness, no weepers.
However, I do get those bumps on the neck often. Every bloody hair goes in a differenct direction.