What's the dinner tonight?

p.b

Forum GOD!
Now that they’ve been out a few years: what’s the consensus on air fryers? Fad or fab? Aldi will be selling a 5.5l one this Thursday for £35 so I might get one but I hate extra faff and gadgets. Thanks.

R181

Grumpy old man
We have had one for a few years now and find we very much like some things done in them. We certainly have not tried all the possibilities either. For us it was a useful addition to the kitchen.

Bob

Reactions: p.b

Falcon50

What I could make from odds and ends in the fridge that needed to get used.

Pork loin and a few strips of bacon very finely minced.
Stir fried to a slight bit crispy, then added chopped onions, minced garlic & ginger, shredded cabbage, carrots, and green bell pepper.
Seasoned with Hoisin Sauce, Oyster Sauce, and sweet Thai Chili Sauce. Over rice.
Garnished with chopped fresh cucumber (seeds removed) and minced leek.
The crispness and umami flavor of the meat is a nice counterpoint to the slightly soft vegetables.

Fast, one pan to clean, and ended being quite tasty

Last edited:
Reactions: p.b

Falcon50

Now that they’ve been out a few years: what’s the consensus on air fryers? Fad or fab? Aldi will be selling a 5.5l one this Thursday for £35 so I might get one but I hate extra faff and gadgets. Thanks.
We received one as a Christmas gift from daughter three years ago.
I've used it several times, but then realized that it is just a small convection oven, and we already had a combo microwave/convection oven.
Every recipe that works in an air fryer can be done in a convection over, with more versatility, and easier cleanup, IMHO.
I also don't like kitchen gadget clutter, and I wouldn't buy one unless you don't have a convection oven. In that case, you will like it.
It is great for potatoes in various forms, and for chicken.

Last edited:

slapo

It's... alive!
Like @Falcon50 said, they're small convection ovens.

I have a Salter model that opens up from the top and is a sort of clone of an earlier Ninja air fryer model.
The ones that open from the top are pretty easy to clean, which is why I went for one.

Great if you're just grilling, roasting or "frying" something for one or two people.
Naturally, when I want something to crisp up, I need to make sure whatever I put in there isn't just a pile of stuff.
I've seen some people on YouTube just piling stuff into it and then being disappointed with the results. Even shaking things up might not work with something a little sticky or starchy.

If you don't have a toaster oven, just a large oven, they're not bad. A lot less useful if you have a small oven already, though.

Wrong End Chihuahua

Über Member
They are great and it's what we use most of time. You can skip using oil altogether and still get the same results as in the oven. Also much faster.

To my great surprise, the steak coming out of an airfryer is fantastic. Moist and delicious. I love them just as much as grilled steaks, even though they don't look or taste anywhere close.

The single biggest issue with air fryers is the space. Still need to use an oven or a grill if you are preparing lots of food. But for a quick dinner for two, they are great.

Also highly recommend slow cookers and Instant pot style pressure cookers, if you aren't using them already... Can make a fairly large meal easily and without creating as much mess as when using pans or ovens.

Last edited:

Wrong End Chihuahua

Über Member
Tonight it's just two of us (and the pets), so we have a little Asian themed dinner for two. Steamed up some meat and vegetarian dumplings from a large local Korean supermarket, along with steamed broccoli, and some plum wine.

Tomorrow, I am opening the grilling season. Already have chicken breast marinated and waiting in the fridge, and prepared the steak rub. Will have kids and other family over.

slapo

It's... alive!
@p.b If you end up getting one, you might want to consider these three types of design (not necessarily models):
Shallow top loader: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ninja-Foodi-Health-AG551UK-Silver/dp/B08CKWYL3Z/
Deep drawer: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Russell-Hobbs-27160-Functions-including/dp/B0BPD1PD22/
I haven't seen shallow drawer designs, but there are also double drawer designs.

I have these two:
Deep top loader: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09CYZQXGP/
Pressure cookers that can also air fry and roast (possibly after a lid swap, but there are ones that only come with one lid): https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08XC4JH7Y/

I wish I'd bought a shallow top loader instead of the first one (Salter EK4549), but the only ones available at the time were more than double the price of the deep top loader I'd bought, and I only bought the pressure cooker later, as I also wanted a pressure cooker.

It comes down to what do you reckon you'll end up cooking in them.
If it's mostly air frying, you might be better served by a shallow top loader, and if you end up getting one that has both top and bottom heating elements, it'll be more versatile.

Vacumatic

Testy
Mrs Saint loves her air fryer ! I haven’t even looked at how you use the thing ! Bit of a family joke that it’s her air fryer, but she swears by it and it’s energy saving !
I had lunch at a friends house yesterday, all cooked in his air fryer which was his second. he had made the decision to buy cheap for his first one and now has a two drawer Ninja which cooked our sausages and chips to perfection, I did the onion gravy for the sausage and that was it. the two drawers allow for different cooking times and temperatures and he pressed a button which synchronised the times so that both items were ready at the same time.

One piece of advice was to use a parchment liner for the bins, sorry I forget the word he used, they can be used over and over if not wet and really cut down on the cleaning up.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Well that plan was messed up. Fancied a good old school flan, you know the sponge base, jelly and fruit. Lovely raspberries, quick set jel all readily available. Sponge flan case ? Can’t find one any where, seem to have disappeared.

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
Leftover chicken parmigiana with a side of penne. Ordered in yesterday. Ate half yesterday. Place was recommended to me after I posted in a Jersey Chicken Parm FB group asking for suggestions for good chicken parmigiana near me. Also a side salad.