What triggers a soap purchase

what triggers a soap purchase

  • Fancy label

    Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Promise of better performance

    Votes: 28 62.2%
  • Scent strenth and type

    Votes: 30 66.7%
  • It's American so obviously better

    Votes: 3 6.7%

  • Total voters
    45

p.b

Forum GOD!
Performance and fancy label, for me, in that order. I’m moving towards unscented soaps and using the moneys towards edc/t/p/parfums instead.

Funnily enough, I actually bought my first soap since September this morning: B&M Unscented in their Soft Heart base. I’m hoping for a very good soap and I like the artwork.
Same reasons as me. I think you'll be impressed with the Soft Heart, it's not unscented direct from the tub but it's completely neutral in use. Be careful to not overload the brush - its softer than it, at first, appears.
 

Rasorium

Forum GOD!
For me it’s primarily the scent. The scent definitely has to appeal to me and I seek out specific scents (still havent found a Yuzu or an Elderflower). Of course the performance is a factor but promise of a BETTER performance doesn’t sway me if I’m happy with the current performance of a soap. An example would be the upcoming Kaizen from A&E, I’m happy with the performance of their current base (once you get past the melted chewing gum phase) and it’s not the promise of better performance that will convince me to buy Kaizen, it’s the scent description.
 
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
If you don’t try it first, how can you know? It’s a gamble Randy
Easy answer as well. I'm reading a Wayne's review first and I'm always sure. I know the way..

I think this happened successfully before with some L'Orange Verte and Cafe Au Lait??

Damn slick performers for king Randy.
May go lather up one of them.
 

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
Same reasons as me. I think you'll be impressed with the Soft Heart, it's not unscented direct from the tub but it's completely neutral in use. Be careful to not overload the brush - its softer than it, at first, appears.
Yes, I’ve heard that about the base. My other reasoning for moving towards unscented is to do with skin sensitivities, which I know you’re also afflicted with!
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
Yes, I’ve heard that about the base. My other reasoning for moving towards unscented is to do with skin sensitivities, which I know you’re also afflicted with!
Good choice this. Grab a Bare Siero now.
 

Ventastic

Forum GOD!
Yes, I’ve heard that about the base. My other reasoning for moving towards unscented is to do with skin sensitivities, which I know you’re also afflicted with!
I had an unscented wholly kaw that just smelled of fat. Partly for this reason I have gone the other way. Scented soap for the scent experience and an unscented after shave. Finding the soap does take quite a bit of trial and error unfortunately.
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
I had an unscented wholly kaw that just smelled of fat. Partly for this reason I have gone the other way. Scented soap for the scent experience and an unscented after shave. Finding the soap does take quite a bit of trial and error unfortunately.
Yes, I tried this method, but almost always ended up with crappy scents especially with the US artisans @Rowlers .

Why is it so difficult for someone to make something that doesn't stink??
 

fredyx

Forum GOD!
I make my own soaps, so I'm not so keen to buy new soaps, especially "artisan" soaps, nevertheless I have seen in the forums that the vast majority of the people make their choice based upon the scent. You can give a fairy simple soap base with a EdT-like scent and will sell fast, if you make an excellent soap base with a simple scent made of essential oils nobody will pay attention to it.
 
Last edited:

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I’ve re-bought a few that I’ve liked and used up, the only other soap I’ve bought recently is Mike’s Hungarian Lavender and that was my quest for a lavender soap I was truly happy with the scent of. Found it.
 

owlman

Forum GOD!
I own lots of soaps already, probably enough for a few years of great shaves, so these days I have mainly two reasons:

1) I know the artisan and a) am confident the soap will be good, or b) buy newly released soaps more or less automatically.
2) I like the artwork.

I have several soaps I only bought because of the label. And I won't buy acclaimed soaps with a label I don't like.
 
Top