Top Dogs

TobyC

Patriot
I think the PILS is one of the first all stainless razors, possibly the first.
Darwin, from the 1930s was stainless, as was the CV Heljestrand lather catcher style wedge blade single edge razor. I'm sure there's others as well.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
One blade has made way for the Blackbird. The Sabre V.2 is hot on its heels.
 

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Darwin, from the 1930s was stainless, as was the CV Heljestrand lather catcher style wedge blade single edge razor. I'm sure there's others as well.
I had totally forgotten about the Darwin, there's the Rasmussen medical prep razor too I think that's a vintage. I was thinking in terms of modern DE razors.
 

TobyC

Patriot
I had totally forgotten about the Darwin, there's the Rasmussen medical prep razor too I think that's a vintage. I was thinking in terms of modern DE razors.
And the Weck razor too, sorry man, just trying to keep the vintage stuff on the board! :)
 

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Wait, I think I was right, I will look some more.


Based on that photo I think you’re right too. The only ones I’d seen previously the head was pristine and the owner thought they were stainless. The heads looked identical to that one apart from the condition and I don’t believe they’d make them in zamak and steel, so on balance of probability I’m going to call zamak.

Do you think we should start a new thread and try to compile the definitive list of stainless razors?
 

TobyC

Patriot
Based on that photo I think you’re right too. The only ones I’d seen previously the head was pristine and the owner thought they were stainless. The heads looked identical to that one apart from the condition and I don’t believe they’d make them in zamak and steel, so on balance of probability I’m going to call zamak.

Do you think we should start a new thread and try to compile the definitive list of stainless razors?
They may have offered high end razors in stainless and lower priced models in die cast. Look at all the different materials Gillette used over the years, and wars tend to effect materials and manufacturing methods. With many vintage razors there isn't a whole lot of information available, I would hate to create a thread that might be inaccurate and misleading to others.
 

slapo

It's... alive!
Hmmm, it's not an easy one, but I'd say:

The Leaf
Rocnel SE-P CC
Rocnel SE-P OC
Supply Provision The Single Edge V2
Occam's razor
Philips OneBlade QP6520/30
GEM Micromatic Open Comb

In no particular order. All could be daily drivers as well as longer stubble cutters.
However, Philips is perhaps the most versatile of them due to its design. Incidentally, it's also the only DE on the list. :-D
I have other razors I like and while some of them hold a special place, the ones mentioned above are the ones I use the most (although I haven't used some of them in a while... time to get them out of the razor box, I guess).
 

Jacobite

Forum GOD!
There's something about vintage razors that adds significantly to my shaving pleasure. Its been years since I counted my razors; in fact, its years since I purchased a razor. There must be 15-20 razors in a drawer here that never get used. The last ones I bought were a Fatip Grande and a Gentile a couple years ago. My only other modern razors are a couple of Merkurs. I should thin the herd and pass a few along. None are collector grade; I buy them to use them.

In terms of frequency of use these are my top 5
1970s Gillette black handle Super Speed
1970s Gillette English aluminium Tech
1920s Gillette New Improved
Fatip Grande
Gillette Post WWII era Canadian Tech
 

Weekly

Forum GOD!
For me the top dog is an unbreakable
Tie between the Merkur Futur and the
Gem Bullet Tip, a legitimate impasse.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
So which is top dog ?
Best razor in my collection at the moment is a toss up between a few, depending on how much stubble I have and face feel I want on the day. They include: PILS, BBS-1, Wolfman OC 0.74, Sabre V.2 and Timeless titanium 0.95 OC/SB.

Also if I'm to be completely honest, having acquired these expensive razors, I have pretty much solely used these for my shaves this year. Cheaper razors have been benched. If I were to use some of the cheaper options more, maybe I would regard them higher, I believe technique is the main variable amongst well regarded razors used with decent soaps and brush.
 
Last edited:
Top