To Bloom or not to bloom

  • Thread starter Deleted member 1881
  • Start date

Will-J

Forum GOD!
With harder soaps I tend to just leave a bit more water in the brush when loading it, after use I will leave the soaps upside down propped up on their lids so air can circulate for a few hours if they're not going to be used the next day just to make sure they are nicely dried out.
 

Mr Mackay

Forum GOD!
I don't bloom my soaps in the traditional sense of the word. I just give them a quick rinse under the tap before the shower, pour out any excess water immediately and repeat this a couple of minutes before I start loading my brush. After the shave I rinse them off once more and leave them open to dry for a day or so (depending on the season). I never had a problem with mould. In fact, the only problem I ever had with any soap was a tub of Cella becoming rancid after a few months.
 

MPH

Forum GOD!
I almost always bloom and always dry the soap after.

I believe the soap keeps better for longer if dried, but have no proof of this.

I prefer blooming as I always seem to be shaving quickly, so it slightly speeds up the loading process. Obviously this isn't needed on a very soft soap.

I doubt either way makes a great deal of difference, but you just form habits that stick. :)
 

phoenixandbeau

Forum GOD!
I fully dry the soaps, but I wonder, because of the full bloom I do, water can pass and stay under the puck and produce mold there.

Kerry from Phoenix & Beau @phoenixandbeau suggests full blooming and after use, a good rinse with cold water to get rid of the sticky lather from the surface of the soap. I think he knows better..

I do this all the time, without any problems so far. My Sanskrit is from the first batch from 2016 and it is in excellent condition without any scent loss too.
Afternoon all,

Speaking solely for myself I like to bloom as it accelerates the lather building process (I'm lazy and don't like to spend much more than 10 seconds loading my brush). I also like to do it as I enjoy rubbing the bloomed water in to my face as something of a pre-shave and to also enjoy the scent further.

Cheers,

Kerry.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Sometimes I bloom, sometimes I don't. In fact I have soaps that have never seen water within the tub and others that are only loaded from the tub. Now I have soaps that are around 5 years old and some older that have been bloomed from day one. I have not had any issues of mould on the surface of any soap. I have had white blobs or emulsified (I think) soap on several and some rusty tins. I don't dry any soap after use. My face is still intact :)
 

donnie_arko

Forum GOD!
Speaking solely for myself I like to bloom as it accelerates the lather building process (I'm lazy and don't like to spend much more than 10 seconds loading my brush). I also like to do it as I enjoy rubbing the bloomed water in to my face as something of a pre-shave and to also enjoy the scent further.
Exactly the same for myself as well, but if I'm using a shaving stick I put the end of the stick under the tap for a bit as well for the same principles.
 

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
Sometimes I bloom, sometimes I don't. In fact I have soaps that have never seen water within the tub and others that are only loaded from the tub. Now I have soaps that are around 5 years old and some older that have been bloomed from day one. I have not had any issues of mould on the surface of any soap. I have had white blobs or emulsified (I think) soap on several and some rusty tins. I don't dry any soap after use. My face is still intact :)
Exactly this except I quickly add water to all soaps
 

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
I only tend to bloom very hard or triple milled soaps. Anything other than that add a tiny amount of water too use as a pre-shave wash.
Regarding mould, I have never, ever had this issue, nor do I try down the soap.

Is it possible that the mould is by a transfer of whatever you patting/drying it out with?
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
I only tend to bloom very hard or triple milled soaps. Anything other than that add a tiny amount of water too use as a pre-shave wash.
Regarding mould, I have never, ever had this issue, nor do I try down the soap.

Is it possible that the mould is by a transfer of whatever you patting/drying it out with?
It is difficult but not impossible.. I never dry the soap by touching it with a towel, just wipe the outside and leave it to dry for at least 24h.
 

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
Afternoon all,

Speaking solely for myself I like to bloom as it accelerates the lather building process (I'm lazy and don't like to spend much more than 10 seconds loading my brush). I also like to do it as I enjoy rubbing the bloomed water in to my face as something of a pre-shave and to also enjoy the scent further.

Cheers,

Kerry.
I've always bloomed since watching a vid on Kerry's website and never had a problem. 10 second load is all I ever need, do people load for longer??
 
Top