The bastardization of wet shaving

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I am on a pipe smoking and a fountain pen forum. I've taken the same "less is more" approach for these hobbies as I have with shaving. However, there are men who have hundreds of pipes, dozens of tobacco flavors, and various lighters. The fountain pen folks have hundreds of pens and inks. Apparently, the hobby is not the issue, but how folks decide to participate.
 

chazt

shave
I’m fortunate to have been able to acquire many shave brushes. Easily half have traditional cream or wood handles. But I also enjoy some more flamboyant examples as well. The red/blue swirly one reminds me of a ”spin art” painting I made as a six year old chazt. The orange brush,, well, orange is my favorite color since I was a toddler.
699E2AD7-9A7E-4A8C-969B-12B0C7A6924E.jpeg
E156B41D-7A28-48F3-89D5-85F763D8339E.jpeg
 

Vacumatic

Testy
That’s because you’re American, you’d express 24mm as 67/1250ths of an Egyptian cubit or something. :p:
Or Whitworth.

Four Americans went on vacation to Canada. They sat down at a pavement cafe, one person said

'I would like to choose a glass of red wine,' they all agreed a good choice.

The waitress said, ' I think you should choose a litre', but was surprised when they started to point at each other and say, you do it, no you do it.

One man said, ' I will be the leader, four glasses of red wine please'.
 

slapo

It's... alive!
Okay, I did a search and found one.
Truefitt & Hill Shaving Brush Style 3 Medium "Silvertip Badger" - Ivor — Classic Shaving
$109???

And he's talking about the bastardization of something??? LOL!!
Isn't that basically a similar kind of thing as an artisan razor maker asking a few hundred quid for a single razor?
Different kind of work is required, but goals seem to be rather similar to me.

Besides, I think Chris was just poking fun and imperial vs metric units.
 
Okay, I did a search and found one.
Truefitt & Hill Shaving Brush Style 3 Medium "Silvertip Badger" - Ivor — Classic Shaving
$109???

And he's talking about the bastardization of something??? LOL!!
I think you are missing the point here... That brush bears the name of a company in existence for over 200 years, is of traditional shape, and isn't pink. Some might say that sort of brush represents the very essence of wet shaving. If you would have taken the time to read my post, you would see that my commentary is on the current state of play with respect to products one, looking in on the hobby from the outside, would assume are meant for a child or a woman.
 
Last edited:

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
I think you are missing the point here... That brush bears the name of a company in existence for over 200 years, is of traditional shape, and isn't pink. Some might say that sort of brush represents the very essence of wet shaving. If you would have taken the time to read my post, you wold see that my commentary is on the current state of play with respect to products one, looking in on the hobby from the outside, would assume are meant for a child or a woman.
Hahaha! The first time my wife saw a shave brush was one of those really colorful ones with a black synth knot and she gave me this suspicious look and said, "Why are you looking up make-up brushes."
 

TobyC

Patriot
I think you are missing the point here... That brush bears the name of a company in existence for over 200 years, is of traditional shape, and isn't pink. Some might say that sort of brush represents the very essence of wet shaving. If you would have taken the time to read my post, you would see that my commentary is on the current state of play with respect to products one, looking in on the hobby from the outside, would assume are meant for a child or a woman.
He's a troll, don't take the bait.
 

Mike Smart

Forum GOD!
I think the fact that the Artisans realise they are doing it for people like us that shave as a hobby.
Back in 50’s - 60s these colours, resins weren’t available and i guess back then people shaved for shaving sake,
where as most of the wet shaving community do it as a hobby and enjoy all that’s new & old.
For me i actually love all these different colours but i really like my traditional ivory coloured brushes as well.
As for the soaps i think the Labels these days are so artistic especially PAA.
Im guessing that if everything was in the tradition colours then none of us would have the collections we do but saying that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
 

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I think you are missing the point here... That brush bears the name of a company in existence for over 200 years, is of traditional shape, and isn't pink. Some might say that sort of brush represents the very essence of wet shaving. If you would have taken the time to read my post, you would see that my commentary is on the current state of play with respect to products one, looking in on the hobby from the outside, would assume are meant for a child or a woman.
I did read your OP and I am not a troll, but the way it communicated to me was that your purchase of a $100 brush is different from someone paying the same today for a brush they find attractive and calling it a bastardization which says it is illegitimate. I see both your choice and their choice the same.

We all know you can get a $12 brush, a puck of Van Der Hagen, and an old Schick Krona and be set for life for less than $50. Isn't that the true essence of wet shaving? Maybe not. We all must decide how to define the hobby.
 
Last edited:
Top