Tea ... who likes it?

morr

Forum GOD!
Here's a link from the guy who supposedly invented the term: http://www.marshaln.com/whats-grandpa-style/

It's very simple, you put your tea in a larger cup (I use 2-3 g per 300 ml) and fill it with boiling water. You drink it when it's cold enough and refill it with hot water once again when you've reached about 2/3 of the cup. That way the tea stays warm all the time and with constant water influx you avoid over-brewing your tea. It's meant for casual tea drinking and enjoying tea without much regard to precise timing or ratio.
For greens and oolongs, water with appropriate temperature should be used.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Arrived last night, a White Cockscomb (Bai Ji Guan) from the Wuyi Mountains of Fujian. It's distinctly Wuyi with that stone slate palate and very enjoyable.

morr

Forum GOD!
... just chucked into a mug, water poured on an drink pretty much straight away, right? Actually, it's not that dissimilar to gongfu style although two vessels are used there. Much Chinese tea lends itself to Grandpa style as it doesn't largely suffer from over-brewing. Tannin-heavy varietals, like Assamica, do get overly bitter with over-brewing, but that's why Granddads kept topping up with condensed milk :D
Exaclty! True, some teas can get bitter with grandpa style, but for me, it's the only way to enjoy ripe and my prefered method at work :D!

pjgh

Forum GOD!
It is how I drink gunpowder and pearl teas, large clear Pyrex mug (IKEA) and enjoy the leaves unfurling and dancing as they go ... "the agony of the tea", apparently, but I like to think of it as dragons dancing. Yeah, seems to be a thing having done some reading now ...

Super! Thanks for the tip. I have a ripe mushroom cake which I've set aside having gone off puerhs, but I'll give this method a go.

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
Well a recent trip to York saw me in the Hebden Tea shop... how many teas? Bought a infuser mug and a couple of teas.

I've only tried the "Lady Hebden" at the minute but it's really nice. Much better than I remember a hotel Earl Grey tea bag tasting.

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
Quite a catalogue @DamianJ ... also available online, if there's something you've enjoyed.
We go to York regularly so popping in wouldn't be a problem. Although I see they do smaller packets online than I noticed in the shop. Does anybody do sample packets?

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Quite a few places online do ... but to be frank, most do 25g which I think is a good amount for a sample. The Kent & Sussex Tea & Coffee Company has pretty much the most comprehensive list of teas that I've seen and certainly do small amounts ... kid in a sweetshop comes to mind :D

C

chrisbell

Evening, chaps. I've bought a few teas over the last year or so, as and when funds allow, from Mei Leaf (nee Chinalife), and have been very happy with what I've bought. I've also purchased basic gongfu gear (100 ml gaiwan, fairness cup, tea cup and fine strainer) from Leaf Bar, though I've yet to try any of their teas. I'm interested in any recommendations you have for other online retailers who sell really high-quality stuff, please. I buy larger quantities of everyday green tea to brew in the western manner from High Teas (mainly their 2nd grade Long Jing and their Gunpowder which are fine for a simple mug of green tea) but I'd be interested to try equivalents for teas I've bought from Mei Leaf from other companies. I'd be interested in recommendations for the following:

Long Jing
Huangshan Maofeng
Da Hong Pao
Dong Ding (preferably a less expensive but still good version!)
Bai Hao
Jin Xuan
Mi Lan Nong Xiang Dan Cong (moderate roast ideally)
Roasted traditional Tie Guan Yin (I've recently tried and enjoyed Mei Leaf's "Baked Goods" Xiping Nong Xiang Huang Dan Tie Guan Yin)
Chuan Tong Tie Guan Yin (I don't like the modern, light and floral Tie Guan Yins)

Cheers!

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Mei Leaf? That's that Don chap off YouTube, right? He does like his tea. Very entertaining.

Welcome aboard, BTW.

morr

Forum GOD!
Have you checked out Yunnan sourcing, white2tea or what-cha (UK based).
Those would be the best buy options I believe.
Not sure about high end stuff, it can be very expensive and TBH I'm not sure I'd buy something claiming to be high end as it probably isn't.

C

chrisbell

Mei Leaf? That's that Don chap off YouTube, right? He does like his tea. Very entertaining.

Welcome aboard, BTW.
Cheers pgjh. Yes, that's the chap - his wife also either films the videos or appears with him. He's a touch 'intense' in his manner on occasions, but he's evidently passionate and knowledgeable.

C

chrisbell

Have you checked out Yunnan sourcing, white2tea or what-cha (UK based).
Those would be the best buy options I believe.
Not sure about high end stuff, it can be very expensive and TBH I'm not sure I'd buy something claiming to be high end as it probably isn't.
Cheers. What I should have said was "high quality". How much does UK delivery cost from Yunnan Sourcing?