Simpson Brushes Appreciation Thread

E-curbi

Forum GOD!
Believe it or not you need to break-in the Simpsons Synthetic. I'd recommend being brutal with it. Hold the knot in very hot tap water and then bowl lather being very rough and really splaying the knot. I can't understand why or how this works but it seem to relax the knot. Then the problem becomes the too short handle because the synth generates so much lather it runs down onto the handle.
The "Dark Knight" synth did seem to soften the first few days, about the first 10days, then I just kinda went ouch - this is just too hard on my skin.

Once that primary lather is built the brush is very soft, but up to that point it's been difficult. Do love the lather generating abilities with the brush, they exceed the Trafalgar T3 and all of my Yaqi synthetics I have only the Boss and Pony knots, and my Simpson badgers.

Haven't tried going brutal with it, lol Will take your advice and beat the heck out of it in a bowl. Better the side walls of the bowl receives the abuse than my cheeks. lol :)

One cool factoid about my CH2 synth, the handle is not the same dimensions as the CH2 badgers. The height is the same, yet the width is narrower by a few millimetres, mine at least, maybe not all. Doesn't feel quite as robust in the hand... Still, I'm gonna keep trying with this brush.

IMG_0338.JPG

Last edited:

Vacumatic

Testy
I have read this thread with a lot of interest. I have five brushes that I use reglarly, two Simpsons, a Body Shop synthetic, a no name synthetic and a bristle brush, I use soft shaving creams, hard shaving creams and shaving soaps. In terms of looks, the Simpsons have it but, apart from the bristle, in terms of performance, I can tell no difference between the other brushes, in fact the Simpsons are the worse being a little too floppy, they lose hair and splay out.

On top of that I have some real ethical concerns about supporting the badger farm trade in China.

I looked to see what Simpsons had to say about badger v synthetic

'Synthetic bristles are super soft and offer a certain amount of resistance to raise the beard up and prepare it for shaving. Not as exfoliating as Badger, you will still need to keep up your washing and exfoliating routine to fully prepare the skin for shaving. as the bristles are non-absorbent, synthetic bristles often require less shaving cream or soap to generate a fine, rich lather'

I have to say that synthetic brushes work best for me especially when I look at the price I paid for a Simpson Badger at £230 as compared to the £8 Body Shop brush.

However, I like the idea that we have a quality manufacturer with global sales.

Dave-the-rave

Forum GOD!
Great line up

Chubby 1 Synthetic? Is that a new staple to the Simpson line up, or did you convince Mark to do you a custom brush?
It was a limited edition on their website last year.
They must have made and sold a few but I still haven't seen another pic of one.
It is a great brush.