Show off your pens

fancontroller

Forum GOD!
@Rowlers I like that Zebra F-xMD Ballpoint, @MrK1 I'm sure you can refills at Amazon (they sell the pen).

I've recently bought a few rollerball pens that use fountain pen ink using standard ink cartridges. They write really well and need very little pressure to use. This Schneider is very comfortable to hold and reminds me of an Orca ; not bad for less than a tenner.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I disagree, Jinhao fountain pens are good for the price if you get a good one. Both of mine had terribly scratchy nibs out of the box and one of them writes so wet it’s not really usable.

A Lamy Safari might cost more but it’s worth it.

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
I PIFd a couple a few months back. They are your typical fountain pen, more faf than they are worth. :devil::devil::devil:
I quite like the faf of them, I use fountain pens at work pretty much exclusively and they're not much hassle to be fair.

Now traditional wet shaving... that could be a right faf hehe

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I quite like the faf of them, I use fountain pens at work pretty much exclusively and they're not much hassle to be fair.

Now traditional wet shaving... that could be a right faf hehe
Same, just need the occasional refill. A bulb syringe makes short work of cleaning when it’s needed.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
IME, every refill was fight to get the ink to flow again. Likely user error...
Feck that, roller FTW.
(I did enjoy the writing experience with them when they did work)

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I disagree, Jinhao fountain pens are good for the price if you get a good one. Both of mine had terribly scratchy nibs out of the box and one of them writes so wet it’s not really usable.

A Lamy Safari might cost more but it’s worth it.
I second the Lamy Safari. I’ve had three and they all worked exceptionally well: no surprises just good ink flow when pen met paper. Another attractive feature is that the nibs can be swapped out without the assistance of a nib meister. Full value for the price.

D

Deleted member 30

IME, every refill was fight to get the ink to flow again. Likely user error...
Feck that, roller FTW.
(I did enjoy the writing experience with them when they did work)
I found an answer to this, dip the nib in a small container of hot water. I think ink sometimes dries out under the nib. This removes it and flow is good again.

@chris.hale yes I agree, the black one in the photo writes nicely where the other is a little scratchy. I'm hoping that with a bit of use it will polish the nib to rectify this. But for the price I cant grumble, i'm happy and would recommend them.

MichaelS

Forum GOD!
My vintage 'golden age' Pelikans (early 1930s to early 1960s). From left: 100, 100n, Rappen, 120, 140, 300, 400, 400n, 400nn, P1 (Silvexa), P1 (Rolled Gold). Missing is the Ibis (successor to the Rappen school pen), which is lying hidden around the house at the moment :blush:. Trying to collect one of each of the base vintage models (not interested in exotic variations), a few more still to go....such as the 100 desk pen.

These pens were so well designed/made, all work perfectly after minimal cleaning/restoration. Modern Pelikan has followed this tradtion of sturdiness/serviceability.

Last edited:

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
My vintage 'golden age' Pelikans (early 1930s to early 1960s). From left: 100, 100n, Rappen, 120, 140, 300, 400, 400n, 400nn, P1 (Silvexa), P1 (Rolled Gold). Missing is the Ibis (successor to the Rappen school pen), which is lying hidden around the house at the moment :blush:. Trying to collect one of each of the base vintage models (not interested in exotic variations), a few more still to go....such as the 100 desk pen.

These pens were so well designed/made, all work perfectly after minimal cleaning/restoration. Modern Pelikan has followed this tradtion of sturdiness/serviceability.

:notworthy::thumbsup::bravo: